Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-12-2020, 12:29 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport
State: Alabama
THOR #11594
Help cab ac

I have a 2014 Thor Windsport on a Ford chassis. Started on a week long trip yesterday and the dash AC only worked intermittenly. Cycled on for 2 minutes and then off for 10 minutes. It would cool somewhat. Did that for about 2 hours and now the fan will stay on (not cycle like before) but absolutely NO cooling.
Any ideas? Need freon? Or is it toast?
Thanks in Advance

Old 07-12-2020, 12:37 PM   #2

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Two or three possibilities......

Sounds like an electrical issue if the blower was cycling (and it wasn't the compressor cycling.

There could also be another electrical issue because some A/C's are designed to turn off under heavy load (going up a steep hill, heavy acceleration); although the compressor shuts off and the blower keeps running usually.

The other possibility is a relay going bad. I have had the control relay go bad on another vehicle that caused the A/C to cycle intermittently. It was a $15 part I got from AutoZone and an easy replacement.

You should never need to add freon unless there is a leak. If the freon got low enough, you could see intermittent cycling of the compressor until it was too low and it stopped running altogether. If you look at the area under the hood above the compressor, see if you see any discoloration or oil. If a compressor seal went, you would see an area where oil was being thrown on the underside of the hood as the compressor was spinning. You can also follow your high and low pressure lines to see if there are obvious signs one let go.
Old 07-12-2020, 01:19 PM   #3

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Do not go to an rv dealer for this.
There is no reason to have a guy who screwed in a door hinge yesterday work on your a/c tomorrow.
Go directly to an automotive a/c place and have it looked at.
Ford won't do either. The a/c is part aftermarket and part Ford. Ford guys have a book to look at and are remove and replace guys. The book says this, they do it. They might know a shortcut but it's doubtful they know an alternative or an aftermarket. Their certifications do not call for outside skills.

You'll never be able to describe the problem with enough detail for us on the forum to diagnose it.

Go directly to a shop.
Pay a professional for their experience and ability..

(you can drive down the road with your roof a/c on. I mention this because some people have asked of it before)

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 01:23 PM   #4
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Had a similar issue on the 2015 Challenger before trading it in. It was a bad metering valve.
Old 07-12-2020, 02:30 PM   #5

Model: Citation
State: Texas
THOR #8139
Ford F53's used to have a bad problem with leaking compressors.
Ford replaced our first one under warranty. I found that they are like generators, need to be exercised.

Check the easy stuff first.
R134 Freon with a gauge is available at any autosupply, Walmart etc.
Easy diy.
Old 07-12-2020, 04:48 PM   #6

Model: 2015 ACE 30.2
State: Florida
THOR #1287
If it's like our bad valve it was an easy fix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corkerinna View Post
I have a 2014 Thor Windsport on a Ford chassis. Started on a week long trip yesterday and the dash AC only worked intermittenly. Cycled on for 2 minutes and then off for 10 minutes. It would cool somewhat. Did that for about 2 hours and now the fan will stay on (not cycle like before) but absolutely NO cooling.
Any ideas? Need freon? Or is it toast?
Thanks in Advance
We had the same issue--2014 & 2015's notorious for it. A regular mechanic who does A/C repairs will spot the problem. Chances are it is the same malfunctioning valve we had. A readily available part and an easy fix. Good luck.
Stay well and keep safe.