Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 09-21-2021, 01:27 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 24F
State: Arizona
THOR #20184
Help! Check valve stuck on water pump

2018 Thor Chateau 24F on the road. Hooked up to city water at park for the night. Later had water running out under storage tank. Tank is overflowing due to I believe is a stuck check valve on a Pentair Shurflo 4008 pump. Any ideas on how to fix this on the road?

Old 09-21-2021, 01:36 AM   #2

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Take city water off

Run your pump and see if it shuts off and stays off

If not, pull the head off and clean it out

Also clean the pump filter

I run off my tank always unless it is washing clothes day
Old 09-21-2021, 01:56 AM   #3

THOR #20184
The pump will run about every 15 secs when not on city water. Is taking the head off the pump a job I can do on the road? Gotta lot of miles to go this week.
Thanks for the response!
Old 09-21-2021, 04:46 AM   #4

THOR #20184
I think I found a valve that supplies water from the storage tank to the pump. Tomorrow, when we get to our stop for the night, Iím gonna try turning it off and then turning on the city water and see if that stops backfilling the storage tank.
Will that destroy the prime to the pump when I turn it back on?
Old 09-21-2021, 11:45 AM   #5

Model: Omni XG32
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip500 View Post
I think I found a valve that supplies water from the storage tank to the pump. Tomorrow, when we get to our stop for the night, Iím gonna try turning it off and then turning on the city water and see if that stops backfilling the storage tank.
Will that destroy the prime to the pump when I turn it back on?
The pumps are self priming so not a factor. The suggestion about running the pump is because debris can get in the check valve and stick it open. Common problem/issue. Running the pump sometimes dislodges that debris. If you can find the pump you can easily remove and clean the filter housing that was referenced. Turn all water pressure sources off and unscrew the likely clear pump filter housing. Pay attention to disassembly, take a picture of assembled housing. Take apart and clean the screen and components.

If that doesn't stop the intermittent operation, get a flashlight and look at all plumbing fittings you can see. Use mirrors and the flashlight to inspect the crevices of the RV. Make sure outside shower is off at the valves, not the shower head. The pump cycles because the water system is losing pressure so it kicks on to restore that pressure. You are looking for a source that pressure can bleed off.
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 01:28 PM   #6
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
The pump will run about every 15 secs when not on city water. Is taking the head off the pump a job I can do on the road? Gotta lot of miles to go this week.
Thanks for the response!
Run the pump means turn it on and open a faucet so it runs and clears the debris from inside the pump. Then close the faucet and check for no backflow by the pump shutting off and staying off.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Alternate Toad
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 10:32 PM   #7

THOR #20184
Just an update. Turning the valve off to the storage tank allows me to use city water without overfilling the tank. Have to dig into the pump when I get home. Thanks for the advice and responses!
Old 09-26-2021, 02:14 PM   #8

THOR #20184
Is it better to replace the pump than rebuild it? Is there a better pump than the Shurflo 4008 that the factory installs? Is there a dedicated rebuild kit for the pump? When I look online all I find is different parts?
Old 09-26-2021, 02:23 PM   #9

Model: Omni XG32
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
Quote:
Is it better to replace the pump than rebuild it? Is there a better pump than the Shurflo 4008 that the factory installs? Is there a dedicated rebuild kit for the pump? When I look online all I find is different parts?
Generally speaking there is a better product for everything that the factory installs. That said, the water pump, if it works well and delivers water to where you want it, rebuild it. If it's inadequate, replace it.
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 06:45 PM   #10

Model: Palazzo
State: Alaska
THOR #20592
2014 33.2 Pallazzo

I had the same problem. Replacing the pump was not the problem. The Anderson water selector check valve. I had to replace the whole panel.
Old 10-02-2021, 08:20 PM   #11

State: Texas
THOR #22431
Quote:
2018 Thor Chateau 24F on the road. Hooked up to city water at park for the night. Later had water running out under storage tank. Tank is overflowing due to I believe is a stuck check valve on a Pentair Shurflo 4008 pump. Any ideas on how to fix this on the road?
I suspect your problem is in the Anderson 4-way valve rather than the pump. Turn the Anderson valve from "City" to "Normal", then turn on the pump. If the pump does not cycle after it pressurizes, the most likely culprit is the Anderson valve.

If the pump cycles, it would be much less hassle to just replace it with a new one! A new ShurFlo is less than $75. Even with no experience, it shouldn't take more than an hour tops to replace it.

If the Anderson valve needs repair, you can buy a replacement cartridge for a DIY project. There are a number of YouTube videos on how to do it. Be prepared! It seldom is as easy as the videos show! With mine on a 2015 Miramar, I ultimately called a tech to finish the job. $100 well-spent, in my opinion!
Old 10-02-2021, 10:05 PM   #12

THOR #20184
I donít have any Anderson valve. Pretty simple setup. City water hooks up to the slide on drivers side. Gravity fill is on passenger side by entry door. Thanks for the input!
Old 10-02-2021, 10:08 PM   #13

THOR #20184
Just wondering, is there a minimum pressure that the check valve in the water pump will work at. Sat at sons house for 3 days, left fresh water tank valve open (By mistake) and the tank never filled. Had a good 55 psi water pressure. Last night at campground had 50 psi and the tank started to fill so turned the valve to it off.
Old 10-02-2021, 10:41 PM   #14
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
There is no ""check valve" in the water pump. The way the diaphragm pumps are designed, the diaphragm in the pump acts as a check valve unless foreign material gets stuck in sealing surfaces and allows backflow through the pump. That's why the first step when you have the backfill problem is to disconnect shore water and run water through the pump for several minutes to clear the foreign matter. Also, clean the suction strainer for the pump.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Alternate Toad
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 11:01 PM   #15

THOR #20184
I did that and had no luck. Oh well, have to look into it when I get home.
Old 10-02-2021, 11:25 PM   #16

Model: Axis 25.3
State: Texas
THOR #13383
I had this problem intermittently until I started turning on the kitchen faucet (cold) when I hooked up to city water. I turn the city water on and wait until I get a solid stream of water, then turn the faucet off.