Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-02-2021, 09:52 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Massachusetts
THOR #21704
Help getting my TV's to connect to cable---Big Issues need help

Can anyone help me get connected to my cable. It was working fine at the last stay over the weekend and I moved to new RV spot on the Keys. Cable signel is strong but I can not scan and find any chanels.

I have tried the button, I have tried to scan both TV and cable to locate and set up.

No connections???

I also have an IOGEAR box and can not figure it out. I know thate cable button is next to the cable inlet and not sure if it should be green-or off for regular cable TV.

PLEASE HELP....My wife is bout to destroy me. I did it after I fiddled with the IOGEAR box and tried to connect the VCR.

Just want local cable right now.

Help and thanks

Old 02-02-2021, 09:55 PM   #2

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Ask management what cable system they use.
Zome tv's wont work at zome rv parks.

Download some movies, use ota to watch the super bowl.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 10:28 PM   #3
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by quantum View Post
Can anyone help me get connected to my cable. It was working fine at the last stay over the weekend and I moved to new RV spot on the Keys. Cable signel is strong but I can not scan and find any chanels.

I have tried the button, I have tried to scan both TV and cable to locate and set up.

No connections???

I also have an IOGEAR box and can not figure it out. I know thate cable button is next to the cable inlet and not sure if it should be green-or off for regular cable TV.

PLEASE HELP....My wife is bout to destroy me. I did it after I fiddled with the IOGEAR box and tried to connect the VCR.

Just want local cable right now.

Help and thanks
What year/make/model coach? When you say "cable button" are you talking about on some multi-input/multi-output box or are you talking about the power button for the OTA antenna?

There are basically three different cable systems you may encounter in an RV park:

Ancient (analog): Was the original CATV standard and had cable numbers just like OTA TV at the time - 3, 4, 5, 6, etc. Uses an analog signal. Almost all TVs have the tuner for this CATV.

Digital - The highlight of CATV: uses a digital tuner (QAM Tuner for cable) and tunes in multiple sub-channels with unencrypted signals - 26-1, 26-2, 26-3, etc. Most modern TVs have a QAM tuner and can receive these channels. Some models of Thor provided TVs such as Seiki and Axerra may not include the QAM tuner and can not tune in digital CATV.

Encrypted Digital - The CATV Gotcha: Tired of CATV theft the industry is moving to this format which requires an external tuner or a tuner card from the CATV company that can be inserted in your TV if so equipped. If you have a major cable provider at home you probably have this. If this is the standard the RV park uses you will be required to borrow a tuner box from the office which will tune the channels for you are output the signal either via HDMI (preferred) or old analog channel 3/4 to your TV's cable input.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 10:36 PM   #4

THOR #21704
Just basic cable nothing like you mentioned.

Just tried to scan chanels all ways --TV-Cable with the green light on and again with the lite off. can not even get the antenna on the roof to get a signal.

Something is not feeding the signal to the TV's and that's why I am confused
Old 02-02-2021, 10:54 PM   #5
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Are you sure that your TV is looking for the signal, from the correct input source?
Old 02-02-2021, 10:57 PM   #6

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
You still have not told us abt your RV model.

- Have you tried all of your TVs?
- Have you located & tightened the cable connection on the TVs? Also tightened the main connector behind the OTA box where all connection come together? (On some rigs you must move the Microwave/convention to access)

If you are not even able to get an OTA connection on any of the TVs, there’s a cable connection issue.

One work-around is to take a long cable from the RV Park pedestal directly to a TV. That should work.
Then work your way back...
Old 02-02-2021, 11:14 PM   #7

THOR #21704
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
What year/make/model coach? When you say "cable button" are you talking about on some multi-input/multi-output box or are you talking about the power button for the OTA antenna?

There are basically three different cable systems you may encounter in an RV park:

Ancient (analog): Was the original CATV standard and had cable numbers just like OTA TV at the time - 3, 4, 5, 6, etc. Uses an analog signal. Almost all TVs have the tuner for this CATV.

Digital - The highlight of CATV: uses a digital tuner (QAM Tuner for cable) and tunes in multiple sub-channels with unencrypted signals - 26-1, 26-2, 26-3, etc. Most modern TVs have a QAM tuner and can receive these channels. Some models of Thor provided TVs such as Seiki and Axerra may not include the QAM tuner and can not tune in digital CATV.

Encrypted Digital - The CATV Gotcha: Tired of CATV theft the industry is moving to this format which requires an external tuner or a tuner card from the CATV company that can be inserted in your TV if so equipped. If you have a major cable provider at home you probably have this. If this is the standard the RV park uses you will be required to borrow a tuner box from the office which will tune the channels for you are output the signal either via HDMI (preferred) or old analog channel 3/4 to your TV's cable input.

I have a 2016 Thor WS31 Quantum and the SEIKI TV's. Al I have is a cable that is direct wired to each tv there is a single Cable jack and it has the button to turn on the green light. I believe this button switches between the roof antenna and the cable connection. Then I have a IOGEAR box that will send the DVD wirelessly to the main TV. This one I never use and have no idea how it works...LOL

It worked just fine at the last campground and without a cable digital converter. The guys here measured the signal outside and it was fine however never mentioned if the signals we digital vs analog signal.

Did get the firestick and have a Roku if needed, Just want to make it simple and not depend on the internet.

Lomg story

Thanks for the feedback.
Old 02-02-2021, 11:33 PM   #8

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
I have a 2016 Thor WS31 Quantum and the SEIKI TV's. Al I have is a cable that is direct wired to each tv there is a single Cable jack and it has the button to turn on the green light. I believe this button switches between the roof antenna and the cable connection. Then I have a IOGEAR box that will send the DVD wirelessly to the main TV. This one I never use and have no idea how it works...LOL

It worked just fine at the last campground and without a cable digital converter. The guys here measured the signal outside and it was fine however never mentioned if the signals we digital vs analog signal.

Did get the firestick and have a Roku if needed, Just want to make it simple and not depend on the internet.

Lomg story

Thanks for the feedback.
The 2016 Seiki TV do NOT have a QAM tuner. Any campground that uses that QAM cable system should be able to rent you a tuner.

Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 11:40 PM   #9
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
Just basic cable nothing like you mentioned.

Just tried to scan chanels all ways --TV-Cable with the green light on and again with the lite off. can not even get the antenna on the roof to get a signal.

Something is not feeding the signal to the TV's and that's why I am confused
this might be redundant ... did you open the menu on your remote for the tv? Every time we move to a new RV park, we must do a scan of available channels for over the air or cable (if available) ... then you must deal with Qam..our original tvs in our Axis were not Qam ready...so we replaced the bedroom tv and will soon, replace the living room tv....IF WE EVER GET OUTTA HERE !!
good luck !!
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 12:12 AM   #10
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
The 2016 Seiki TV do NOT have a QAM tuner. Any campground that uses that QAM cable system should be able to rent you a tuner.

Some do, some don't. Our Seki's all had QAM tuners, the outside one is the only one left, we upgraded the other 2 to better smart TVs.

I don't know of any RV parks that have simple QAM tuners for rent/loan. Just the encrypted boxes.

And that miniscule picture of the WinTV HDR doesn't apply - that's for a PC, can't use it with any TV.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 12:49 AM   #11
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I think that Beau is right. Seiki was a bit late to the party; when it came to equipping their TV with QAM tuners. You could check with the campground, and see if they use that system...
Old 02-03-2021, 12:51 AM   #12

Model: Citation
State: Texas
THOR #8139
Quote:

Lomg story

Thanks for the feedback.
3 yrs ago in Custer SD we had the same problemS.

Your Seki TVs are probably the no cable problem, a quick trip to Walmart and a couple hundred $ will get you a nice 32" tv.

Your no antenna problem could be your campground location.
Look around your campground, if you don't see any batwings sticking up that's your problem, no OTA available.

Best of luck in your new adventure.
Old 02-03-2021, 01:39 AM   #13

THOR #21704
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post

Hi Beau,

Your always there and thanks to all the others.

Makes sense as the digital TV's have made the others obsolete. TV's are cheap and I think the ones with ROKU add another level. Samsung outdoes them all in my opinion. But I do have the firesticks and the ROKU hooked up so as ong as I get a good internet signel ?? things should be OK

Thanks to all. I do have the wireless IOGEAR and the main TV has the similar attachment you showed. BUT I do not know how to sue that correctly??

Thanks Ed
Old 02-03-2021, 02:18 AM   #14

Model: S.O.B.
THOR #14543
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by abjbrtd View Post
Your no antenna problem could be your campground location.
Bingo! The OP mentioned he's in the Florida Keys. If he's in the upper Keys, he might get lucky and get Miami area stations. Farther down US1, forget it. Cable or satellite are the only real options.
Popfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 02:20 AM   #15

THOR #21704
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Are you sure that your TV is looking for the signal, from the correct input source?
Not sure but I have checked all the HDMI imputs, cable/tv imput as well as with the antenna button on and off but no prizes!!.

Any other suggestions will be helpful. May be there is something I overlooked?

Thanks
Old 02-03-2021, 02:52 AM   #16

THOR #21704
Yes in the lower keys and the RV campground is a high end facility with excellent internet and staff.

They checked the signal at the cable box and it was strong and well

He said the issue was inside. Thus I am hunting down the issue and trying to reprogram the channels. They will be back again tomorrow to follow up. I just was hoping I could have figured it out by now.

Thanks for the feedback
Old 02-03-2021, 02:57 AM   #17

THOR #14543
Exclamation

Quote:
Yes in the lower keys and the RV campground is a high end facility with excellent internet and staff.
Sounds like Boyd's.

Good luck tracking down the issue!
Old 02-03-2021, 03:08 AM   #18

THOR #21704
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popfla View Post
Sounds like Boyd's.

Good luck tracking down the issue!
No we are at Bluewater Key RV resort.

Where is Boyds? May want to find some new views.
Old 02-03-2021, 03:40 AM   #19

THOR #14543
Exclamation

Quote:
Where is Boyds? May want to find some new views.
Closer to Key West, on Maloney Avenue off US1. https://www.boydscampground.com/
Old 02-03-2021, 02:21 PM   #20

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
Back to OP...
- Did you run a dedicated cable from park pedestal to a TV?
Then once complete, did you work backwards?
- Did you find the connection box where the main cable enters & all the cables are connected? (in my Vegas, located behind the microwave)