Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 04-03-2016, 03:41 AM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds 22E
State: West Virginia
THOR #3119
I would go with the screws for something like this. If you ever needed to remove it then the holes could be filled and painted and be invisible. If you use 3M 5200 you will have to cut the plate off with the fibreglass. You are not putting much weight on the plate but if it was more you could pull the thin fibreglass shell from the underlying plywood (de-laminate) but screws actually hold the two together.

Old 04-03-2016, 01:56 PM   #22

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by samven View Post
I would go with the screws for something like this. If you ever needed to remove it then the holes could be filled and painted and be invisible. If you use 3M 5200 you will have to cut the plate off with the fibreglass. You are not putting much weight on the plate but if it was more you could pull the thin fibreglass shell from the underlying plywood (de-laminate) but screws actually hold the two together.
Working on fiberglass boats for the last 25 years, I have found that screws into thin fiberglass cause small crack lines around the screw holes, which under the constant movement stresses of boats and RVs, can grow over time. If you can drill and bolt thru the fiberglass, that eliminates the problem, but that is not always possible. You are right, the 5200 is permanent. The fiberglass will fail before the 5200, if it is applied correctly. Screws and 5200 is the best solution, as long as you want something really permanent. The screws hold the fiberglass to the underlying plywood and 5200 in the screw holes stops the cracks from enlarging. This means that the material you use for the plate needs to be as durable as the RV. You will not be able to easily replace it.
Old 04-03-2016, 02:09 PM   #23

Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
Thanks.

There is a boat show at a local Marina on the lake. I might just head over there and see what can be found. A small 4"X6" polished Stainless steel plate (2 needed, one for each side of RV) - screwed and glued - would work and using magnetic US flags for cover when not being used for WiFi antenna mount. Found flag pairs for use on vehicles (with the union blue on the leading edge for rt and lt sides) available on numerous websites.

Doc

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 07:43 PM   #24

Model: Four Winds 22E
State: West Virginia
THOR #3119
You better take a magnet with you, Some stainless will attract a magnet and some wont. I could not pick up a stainless screw with my magnetic pickup tool.
Old 04-03-2016, 09:20 PM   #25

THOR #2142
Samven

First the Veggie-Burger and now Non-Ferrous (low ferrous) Steel? What is this world coming to: an all composite car or even an electric sports car?

Tangent question: As an electric car, I wonder, is the Tesla 3 towable with all four down?

Doc

Old 04-03-2016, 10:23 PM   #26
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMike
As an electric car, I wonder, is the Tesla 3 towable with all four down?
I doubt it: I don't know any EV's that can be towed four down.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 12:23 AM   #27

THOR #2142
Shoot, sure would have made for a cool toad.

Doc

Old 04-25-2016, 11:10 PM   #28

THOR #2142
Oneil,

Using the 5200 "quick set" (24 hrs is quick?) to glue on my magnetic stainless steel plates. In your earlier email you said pressure must be applied, my question is how much (less than 10 lbs, 10lbs to 100lbs or over 100lbs)?

Doc

Old 04-26-2016, 06:35 AM   #29

Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMike View Post
Oneil,

Using the 5200 "quick set" (24 hrs is quick?) to glue on my magnetic stainless steel plates. In your earlier email you said pressure must be applied, my question is how much (less than 10 lbs, 10lbs to 100lbs or over 100lbs)?

Doc
I always clamped mine when I could, but I think if you are able to compress it to a thin coat and keep the pressure on it, it will never come off.
Old 04-26-2016, 06:49 AM   #30

THOR #2142
ONeil,

I have cut and shaved a piece of 1/2" thick by 4" wide wood just the lenght needed to fit under the awning's arm and under the lip of the window. It generates a good bit of pressure on a dry run and seems to allow just enough space for the metal plate to fit.

I will give it a go Tuesday after work.

Doc

Old 04-27-2016, 02:48 PM   #31

Brand: Entegra
Model: 34B
State: New Jersey
THOR #3523
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMike View Post
Oneil,

Thanks, I think I can come up with a way to secure it while the adhesive sets. If not that will take the worlds largest C-clamp!

Doc
2 sided automotive tape any auto parts store has it
It holds most of the emblems and trim on new cars
Old 04-27-2016, 02:58 PM   #32

THOR #2142

I will be placing a stainless steel plate that will be used for an external Wi-Fi Antenna when I get to a campsite. The magnetic US flags will be placed while traveling...for looks.

Doc