Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-21-2018, 12:15 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 29
State: Indiana
THOR #9245
HELP! I'm locked out but the door's not locked

Hi all, I need your help. My '18 Windsport has jammed the door closed. It's not locked but it won't open. I set the levelers as I usually do in front of the house and it opened normally. But my wife went to get a coke out of the fridge and couldn't get in. I yanked and gently pried and got it unlatched but that's all. And of course for once both front windows are locked. It's dark and cold here in Indy, so I'm not messing with it anymore tonight, but I need to get in soon. Is there a way in or anyway to retract the levelers from outside? I'm afraid if I pry on the door or frame anymore than I have I'll really screw something up.
Jay

Ok, turns out she was after the rum AND coke. This is not good...

Old 10-21-2018, 12:50 PM   #2

Model: 29M Windsport
State: Georgia
THOR #12172
First ensure both locks are unlocked, it's easy to get them one locked and one unlocked. I have had problems with the door on my Windsport 29M after lowering the levelers. The door sticks bad but never to the point of having to pry it open. Last time I was able to raise the levelers and reset them and the door worked ok. Good luck getting back in the RV.
Old 10-21-2018, 08:52 PM   #3

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Virginia
THOR #7607
Might be the broken RV lock "latch" that many have experienced.
Old 10-21-2018, 10:56 PM   #4

Model: Four Winds
State: Ontario
THOR #9081
You can retract your levelers, if you have access to the hydraulic motor and reservoir. Hopefully it is not in a locked compartment. If it's a locked compartment, check with another local RVer as the keys are normally standard. Here is a video put out by Lippert on the process. Just forget about the part about going back into the coach.
Old 10-22-2018, 11:30 PM   #5

Model: Windsport 29
THOR #9245
Thanks for the replies. I found the video very interesting and hope I never have to go that route. Good to know though.

I did get in the coach, but it almost cost me my marriage. After beating at the lock pin though a gap with a sharp putty knife and getting nowhere, I went in to get the keys. Sure as &^% the dead bolt was locked. I came unglued at that point. I told her the coach was not locked but she took the keys and messed around with it anyway until she had no idea what she had done. I, thinking she knew what she was doing, assumed it was as I left it, unlocked! And after reading so many posts about the lock breaking inside I was convinced it was broken. Needless to say one window will always be unlocked!
Old 10-23-2018, 12:04 AM   #6

Model: SOB 2014 Meridian 36M
State: Washington
THOR #7205
I hear ya... I have had a couple instances where my wife did something that I just couldn't understand. Even when I do blow a cork, I try like heck not to be ugly and start flinging crap I can't take back. We all do stupid things and/or forget things, especially now that we are older!
Old 10-23-2018, 01:16 AM   #7

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
Those better halves.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 01:31 AM   #8

Model: Four Winds
THOR #9081
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeryboats View Post
I did get in the coach, but it almost cost me my marriage.
I thought the only threat to a marriage happened when you back up an RV and don't follow the hand and spoken instructions.
Old 10-23-2018, 06:36 PM   #9

Model: ACE
State: Illinois
THOR #12283
We called the closest RV repair after trying to pry it open or push the bar back with butter knives. Ended up replacing the whole unit.
Old 10-23-2018, 09:20 PM   #10

Model: Quantum RS26
THOR #10823
I just can't resist a good old war story!
Back in my EMT days I responded to an auto accident. The driver was a young girl and still inside one very beat up small car. It was steaming and smoking but no fire present and two other drivers were rocking the car side to side as they tried in vain to get the driver's door to open. When I arrived, in uniform, they gladly "let me handle it" I reached through the broken side window, unlocked the door and opened it to begin treating the driver. I really think the driver recovered fully before their pride did! Try before you pry.
Old 10-23-2018, 11:30 PM   #11

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Virginia
THOR #7607
Once when I was a locksmith, I was sent to help someone who was locked out of their car... I found the back door unlocked!
Old 10-27-2018, 08:19 PM   #12

Model: 2005 Four Winds Infinity
State: California
THOR #8814
We had a problem with our doorlatch getting stuck. It was when it had been sitting in the sun for a while. My husband finally just replaced the whole unit! Is this a Thor problem or does it happen in other RVs too?
Old 10-27-2018, 10:04 PM   #13

State: Ohio
THOR #12388
Happened to Me Too - But Lock Was Broken

This happened to me too but coach was running at the time. I got out to make a last check before driving off and couldn't get back in. It was a 2016 Palazzo.

I was able to find a stiff piece of wire and push back the latch through the crack between the door and door frame and get the door open. When I got the door open I found that the latch had broken in half inside the lock. I could pull the part that normally sticks out all the way out of the lock with my fingers but the door handle would not retract it anymore.

I wound up taking the latch part off and going down the road with the door held closed by the dead bolt. Used it this way until dealer could order a replacement lock.

Cost some money for new lock but it works a lot better than the original one did even when the coach was new. I bet it was defective but it's too late, didn't actually fail until after warranty was already done.

Bill
Old 11-14-2020, 07:32 AM   #14

THOR #21228
It happened to me too. I stepped out of the motor home closed the door and then I could not get back in. I had the keys, but they were of no use.

This video shows how I got back in and which broken part caused the lock out.

https://youtu.be/H03E5RA-MEo

This video shows how I got in with not much more than a coat hanger,

I got locked out of my Thor (Axis/Vega) due to a broken latch.