Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 08-01-2022, 03:22 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alabama
THOR #27543
2015 Thor Vegas Generator

No 12v DC power to starter solenoid at generator. (obviously, "no crank") Is there "anything" between the batteries and that solenoid. (I wouldn't think they'd run a cable directly to the genset without some type of fusing) I guess they could but my friend just purchased this motorhome, The previous owner never once ran the generator. I measured the lead at the solenoid to ground and it's simply dead. I took a brief look underneath the RV. I didn't see any torn wires or for that matter, I didn't see a breaker either. Is there a breaker in the lead going to the generator that I'm overlooking?

Old 08-01-2022, 03:37 PM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Yes, 100 amp DC breaker close to the house batteries.

2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 04:47 PM   #3

THOR #27543
Thank you for the reply... Do you know if it's typically located literally inside the coach living area, underneath, (exposed to the elements) or in the battery area itself by any chance? If you have a picture of it installed in it's location, I would sure appreciate seeing it. I just didn't see it anywhere in the battery area... (I am old though and definitely could have missed it)
Old 08-01-2022, 04:56 PM   #4
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJEVANSTN@GMAIL.COM View Post
Thank you for the reply... Do you know if it's typically located literally inside the coach living area, underneath, (exposed to the elements) or in the battery area itself by any chance? If you have a picture of it installed in it's location, I would sure appreciate seeing it. I just didn't see it anywhere in the battery area... (I am old though and definitely could have missed it)
Generally in the battery area. On the E350/450 chassis it may be underneath, along side the battery case, etc. Follow each of your positive cables. One should go to a 50 amp braker for the house loads, one should go to the 100 amp breaker. There may be a third that goes to the BIRD/BIM/BCC and if an inverter has been installed maybe a fourth to the inverter (hopefully via a fuse or breaker)
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 05:24 PM   #5

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
On my 2021 Axis, that 100A breaker is located under the entry steps next to the batteries on the aft wall. There should be 3 or 4 positive connections to the batteries:

1. A 6 gauge wire that goes to a 50A breaker and then to the converter.
2. A 2 or 4 gauge wire that goes to a 100A breaker and then to the generator.
3. A 2 gauge wire that goes to the BIM 160 or in your case the equivalent BIRD.
4. If you have solar panels a 10 gauge wire that has an inline 15A fuse that goes to the solar controller mounted in the entry way.

David
Old 08-01-2022, 05:55 PM   #6

Model: Hurricane 35m
State: North Carolina
THOR #13505
Had a 2015 Vegas, got it one year old.
Replaced both house batteries
Got done with job. Everything in rig seem to work fine.
Next day try to run generator
nadda

well after hours of trouble shooting, etc. I took batteries back out and looked all in the step and found that breaker everyone is showing. It was tripped, if you slide battery aft, it pushed on breaker release. weird place they put it.
Old 08-01-2022, 09:18 PM   #7

THOR #27543
I want to thank you both for the reply. I told them to look in the battery compartment and the "surround" for the breaker. They are both at work today or I'd run over there. The big thing is knowing it exists for sure "somewhere." I was dreading the thought of running a new wire back there. (crawling around under there) Thank you again...
Old 08-02-2022, 01:32 AM   #8

Model: vegas
State: New Jersey
THOR #25689
Generator grounding?

So my generator died on me, my buddy and I tore it apart and found the ground braided cable was completed corroded. As a boat mechanic and accustomed to dealing with oxidized grounds and wires he just rewired it with thick gauge insulated wires. The control panel doesn’t sit as nicely but the generator starts right up.
I had paid someone to fix it, they knew it was a grounding issue but though it was with the battery cables. It wasnt until we dropped the generator and took it apart that we found the issue.
Just make sure you reattach all the grounds, we didn’t and I was with out power at the Grand Canyon with to myserible kids and an angry wife. Haha