Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 05-17-2021, 09:52 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Massachusetts
THOR #21704
New batteries before trip low volts

Looking for help to analyze new batteries after 4500 mile trip !!

Put in new house batteries traveled to Florida and came back end of March.

Put into storage mode (shut off power to house)

Parked the unit at return and voltage was at 13.9 to 14.1 volts .

Over weekend went to check on moisture and the voltage meeter was beeping and displayed yellow. Voltage was down to 10.6

Had to start engine to start generator. Ran generator for one hour and was able to increase the display to show 13.2 to 13.4 V.

I may have a leak somewhere? New batteries worked well all the trip and could run off them for 12 to 14 hours before generator started to recharge. I believe it kicks on at 12.1V. I Have a residential fridge, watched tv and led lights. So when boondocking all was good.

I have 3 , 105ah for a total of 315ah so had plenty during travel but now a bit concerned as they sat for only 5 or 6 weeks before I returned.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks

Old 05-17-2021, 10:36 PM   #2

Model: 37LS outlaw
State: New Jersey
THOR #5248
Did you power down the invertor? Even it there is no load it still pulls power at idle.
Old 05-17-2021, 10:47 PM   #3

State: Massachusetts
THOR #21704
Hi, Power down the inverter??

First I heard of that. Can you tell me more and how to power down. My assumption was that anytime I shut the house switch to disable, all the power is then off the batteries.

Also I can not charge the batteries, by generator or engine altenator, unless the switch is back to use mode.
Old 05-17-2021, 11:20 PM   #4
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by quantum View Post
Hi, Power down the inverter??

First I heard of that. Can you tell me more and how to power down. My assumption was that anytime I shut the house switch to disable, all the power is then off the batteries.

Also I can not charge the batteries, by generator or engine altenator, unless the switch is back to use mode.
Incorrect The inverter is not wired through the latching relay controlled by the USE/STORE switch.

Correct Both the Generator and SP use the Converter to charge the house batteries so the USE/STORE switch must be in USE to make that connection.

Incorrect The Alternator connects through the BIM/BIRD directly to the house batteries without going through the USE/STORE latching relay; unless your coach is wired differently from other Thor coaches.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote