Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-05-2015, 04:44 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 31S
State: New Jersey
THOR #3292
Help! Tire Pressure confusion

We just picked up our new Hurricane 31S day before yesterday. At the dealer, I asked about tire pressure and the lady who was doing the walk thru with us went and asked someone and came back telling me, "105."

Okay. At home I measured a tire and it came up 74. Before putting in more pressure, I went around and measured other tires and they're all in the 72 - 74 range. I checked the manual and it said 82.

I called the dealer back and spoke with that lady and she said go with the manual. That makes sense, doesn't it? Still doesn't explain why the dealer had them in the 70's. Its a 75 mile trip from the dealer to home.

Any information or thoughts would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Old 12-05-2015, 05:15 PM   #2

Model: Chateau 35SF
State: Missouri
THOR #2020
A few years ago we had an F350 which we used to tow a Heartland 5th wheel. We were at a rally and had the rig weighed per wheel. They were able to tell us per wheel what the proper inflation should be. The proper inflation does depend on the weight. The more weight the higher the inflation as long as you don't go over the maximum. Check out the information on this link for more information.
http://m.discounttire.com/dtcs/infoAirPressure.do
Old 12-05-2015, 05:43 PM   #3

Brand: Still Looking
State: South Dakota
THOR #3001
Ditto on getting your RV weighed by wheel after it is loaded. You might find you need to move cargo bay stuff around for more even distribution.

For a motorhome, you are going to be pretty close to using the Max Psi rating of the tire.
Old 12-05-2015, 05:46 PM   #4
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Until you get the coach weighted, to the left of the driver's seat on the wall should be two labels. One of the labels will give you the recommended tire pressure based on gross axle weight rating (GAWR). In my case for my coach the recommended pressure is 90 PSI and based on my weight that is what Michelin also recommends for my 22.5 inch tires.

If you have Michelin tires their web site has a table for all tires sizes and air pressure recommendations based on weight.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 08:18 PM   #5

Model: 2015 Hurricane 34 J
State: Ohio
THOR #1295
I have my Hurricane 34J 19.5 inch wheels set to 90 PS. It handles and drives nicely! The tech at the dealership told me about his experience and set them to 90 - I have left them there and am happy!
2019 Honda Accord 2.0T Sport 6 speed manual
(THOR)
Nursx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 01:58 AM   #6

Model: Windsport 34F
State: Louisiana
THOR #2073
My dealer also recommends 90psi in my 19.5 tires. I have yet to have a ride or handling issue.
Montz, Louisiana
The Guidrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 03:09 AM   #7

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: New Jersey
THOR #3292
Thanks for all the replies. I did find those labels by the driver's seat and it says "82" so I'm starting out like that. The tires are Goodyears. We're heading out for Florida so I'll be seeing how smooth 82 is and going up to 90. We're just 2 people and tanks are empty except gas tanks. Thanks again!
Old 12-06-2015, 10:35 PM   #8

Model: Hurricane 34E
State: Texas
THOR #1599
I have a Hurricane 34e, and my tires are 19.5 also. Based on these Goodyear charts contained in their guide, I'm around 92-95. Here is a link to the guide:

http://www.goodyearrvtires.com/pdfs/tire-care-guide.pdf

When I picked up my Hurricane, my tires were low also. My RV tech said dealers are notorious for under inflating the tire on gas RV, to try and make the ride feel better on the test drive search this forum, and Irv2. Also for more info than you need on tires!!!
Cheers
San Antonio, Tx
Tytlfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 08:22 PM   #9

Model: Hurricane 27K
State: California
THOR #2544
I had ours weighed at all four corners and they said the min. I should put in the Hurricane 27k is 85-90. Our label also says 82 but that is probably based on an unloaded coach. I had it pretty much ready to travel when I had it weighed with the exception of bodies and food.
brucev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 03:27 PM   #10

Model: Hurricane 27K
State: Nevada
THOR #970
I have mine set to 100 when I go to the tire store, they end up at 90 or so cold.They also loose air to 80 within a couple months. Fuel mileage is better at 90 then 82.
Old 12-10-2015, 09:00 PM   #11

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Arizona
THOR #2878
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz102 View Post
Thanks for all the replies. I did find those labels by the driver's seat and it says "82" so I'm starting out like that. The tires are Goodyears. We're heading out for Florida so I'll be seeing how smooth 82 is and going up to 90. We're just 2 people and tanks are empty except gas tanks. Thanks again!
Watch your tire wear and if you star seeing a little more wear on the outside edges of the tread, increase it to 85 for a better tread contact patch. Always check the manufacturers recommendations on the sidewall of the tire and do not exceed their pressures. The labels by your seat are based on "Engineering Judgment" and are based on ride and not on tire wear/manufacturers recommendations. Just ask the Ford Explorer engineers who recommended too low of a pressure which caused a lot of blowouts and deaths due to under-inflated tires.

Tags
tire pressure