Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-01-2020, 11:34 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: California
THOR #7660
Poli Glow

Have had my Vegas six years now. It is stored where the passenger side has harsh sun exposure, uncovered, all year long. We are in N. California where the winter is mild, but summer is intense sun. The area on the sun side was unevenly dulled, with gelcoat totally gone, and some serious oxidation on the darker trim decals. I bought the Poli Glow kit for $80 on Amazon. The Prep liquid and scrubbing pad seemed to remove most of the oxidation. Any severe areas were touched up with fine Scotch Brite, came off nicely with gentle rubbing. The areas that were partially shaded over the years and still had some gelcoat were dulled slightly with the Prep liquid. The last two days, I applied the Poli Glow, using their nice mitt with the kit, according to the instructions, and today am very pleased with the appearance. Nearly total restoration. One thing they don't mention, you do need to copiously mask off the windows, hardware, etc, before applying the Poli Glow coats because it is a bear to remove from those surfaces once it is cured (after 4-6 initial coats.) Yes, that many coat are really needed to get a nice, smooth, uniform finish. I am planning to simply thoroughly clean, rinse, and re-apply 2 or so coats every year forward.

Old 08-02-2020, 12:15 AM   #22

Model: Chateau 31L
State: Florida
THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsvegas View Post
Have had my Vegas six years now. It is stored where the passenger side has harsh sun exposure, uncovered, all year long. We are in N. California where the winter is mild, but summer is intense sun. The area on the sun side was unevenly dulled, with gelcoat totally gone, and some serious oxidation on the darker trim decals. I bought the Poli Glow kit for $80 on Amazon. The Prep liquid and scrubbing pad seemed to remove most of the oxidation. Any severe areas were touched up with fine Scotch Brite, came off nicely with gentle rubbing. The areas that were partially shaded over the years and still had some gelcoat were dulled slightly with the Prep liquid. The last two days, I applied the Poli Glow, using their nice mitt with the kit, according to the instructions, and today am very pleased with the appearance. Nearly total restoration. One thing they don't mention, you do need to copiously mask off the windows, hardware, etc, before applying the Poli Glow coats because it is a bear to remove from those surfaces once it is cured (after 4-6 initial coats.) Yes, that many coat are really needed to get a nice, smooth, uniform finish. I am planning to simply thoroughly clean, rinse, and re-apply 2 or so coats every year forward.
Thank you for sharing that.
Old 08-02-2020, 04:20 PM   #23

Model: ACE 30.2
State: Massachusetts
THOR #8180
Just curious of the overlap when you do a small area and move on...it appears to dry quickly. Is the overlap from the first section you did noticeable? Some have commented on small bubbles in he application and having to be careful you don’t have bubbles. Sounds like something I need to do on my end caps especially as they are oxidized.
Old 11-10-2022, 05:03 PM   #24

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
I just finished thoroughly cleaning my unit and applying 6 coats of poli glo. Once finished it provides a darn nice shine. There’s a bit of a learning curve to the application. Learned each coat just needs to be thin. First couple of coats look streaky. Do not go back over trying to fix that. As more light coats are applied it self fixes those streaks. By the time I did the back and one side I felt like a pro. I’ll see how it holds up preventing oxidation.
Old 11-10-2022, 05:05 PM   #25

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Looks good!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F4C9FDAB-6B2E-4FD2-A609-489BECA0BADF.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	182.7 KB
ID:	40082