Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old Yesterday, 06:02 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
Posts: 7
THOR #19594
High Tire Pressure?

Not sure if I am posting this in the right forum but here is my question.


I am a new owner, Thor Windsport 31S, and I have just added a VESAFE TPMS. I have set the cold pressure at 82 on all tires as recommended on the safety sticker in the coach. Set the parameter on the TPMS to 82 as well. When traveling, after about an hour, the system started alerting as each tire reached 99. Top pressure for a 2 1/2 hour trip was 102. The system automatically alerts when pressure increases by 20%.


Is there an issue with my tires or is 20% not a reasonable increase to alert on? I don't see a way of overriding the 20% threshhold. Should I leave my tires inflated to 82 and set the parameter slightly higher on the TPMS? I have not had the opportunity to weigh the rig and recalculate the pressure yet, and not sure if that would make that significant a difference.
__________________

__________________
mcpandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:37 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Missouri
Posts: 875
THOR #6903
What size and load rating are your tires?

Not unreasonable increase at all if it was warm or hot. If you were traveling in cool weather you probably have your tires loaded above the 82 psig

Weights, load charts, safety factor is the only way to know where to determine the optimum tire psig
__________________

__________________
lwmcguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:41 PM   #3
I Think We're Lost!
 
Bob Denman's Avatar
 
Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
Posts: 16,062
THOR #8860
I agree: we need a bit more info about how much you were carrying...
__________________
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:17 PM   #4
Site Team
 
16ACE27's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
Posts: 4,992
THOR #7035
My ACE also has 82 as the recommended PSI from which I set the +20% -10% thresholds.

I see you're in Florida.

I discovered 20% wasn't high enough on hot summer days by about 1 to 2 PSI. I reset to +25% and haven't had an alarm yet.
__________________
Ted & Melinda
2016 ACE 27.1
2016 Chevy Sonic Toad
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Alternate Toad
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:40 PM   #5
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
Posts: 7
THOR #19594
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmcguire View Post
What size and load rating are your tires?

Not unreasonable increase at all if it was warm or hot. If you were traveling in cool weather you probably have your tires loaded above the 82 psig

Weights, load charts, safety factor is the only way to know where to determine the optimum tire psig

Thanks for the feedback.



Tires are Goodyear G670 RV 245/70r19.5. Max load rating is 4540. GAWR on front axle is 7000 lbs and rear is 12000 lbs. Duel tires on rear axle. We don't have an excessive load as far as luggage weight is concerned, fuel was full, gray and black tanks empty and about 20 gallons in fresh water.



Temperature outside was 75 to 80 and TPMS said tires were between 94 and 100 temp.
__________________
mcpandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:43 PM   #6
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
Posts: 7
THOR #19594
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
My ACE also has 82 as the recommended PSI from which I set the +20% -10% thresholds.

I see you're in Florida.

I discovered 20% wasn't high enough on hot summer days by about 1 to 2 PSI. I reset to +25% and haven't had an alarm yet.

Thanks. We're in CA right now on our way home. Temps are 70's. I didn't see a way to increase the parameter on the monitor. I'll have to check the instructions again. they were a little bit lacking.
__________________
mcpandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:50 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Missouri
Posts: 875
THOR #6903
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcpandt View Post
Thanks for the feedback.



Tires are Goodyear G670 RV 245/70r19.5. Max load rating is 4540. GAWR on front axle is 7000 lbs and rear is 12000 lbs. Duel tires on rear axle. We don't have an excessive load as far as luggage weight is concerned, fuel was full, gray and black tanks empty and about 20 gallons in fresh water.



Temperature outside was 75 to 80 and TPMS said tires were between 94 and 100 temp.
You have a nice heavy duty 14 ply tire. 82 psig is on the light side even if you were empty INMHO, I would to up to 85. Your sidewall max cold psig should be 110

I ran my F550 with similar tires at 110-115 psig but usually had 16 ply due to the heavy tandem trailers we towed often. A lot of cattle on a 32 foot trailer is a bit heavier than an RV for sure.

No issues with handling or tire wear either when running empty but you did notice the potholes
__________________
lwmcguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:59 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
Posts: 2,180
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcpandt View Post
Not sure if I am posting this in the right forum but here is my question.


I am a new owner, Thor Windsport 31S, and I have just added a VESAFE TPMS. I have set the cold pressure at 82 on all tires as recommended on the safety sticker in the coach. Set the parameter on the TPMS to 82 as well. When traveling, after about an hour, the system started alerting as each tire reached 99. Top pressure for a 2 1/2 hour trip was 102. The system automatically alerts when pressure increases by 20%.


Is there an issue with my tires or is 20% not a reasonable increase to alert on? I don't see a way of overriding the 20% threshhold. Should I leave my tires inflated to 82 and set the parameter slightly higher on the TPMS? I have not had the opportunity to weigh the rig and recalculate the pressure yet, and not sure if that would make that significant a difference.
82 psi is correct for the inside back tires assuming there is 6,000 lbs on each side in the rear. The inside back will always run the hottest because they get less cooling air than the other 4 tires. To get the exact tire pressures needed you need to check your traveling weight on each corner. At least on my coach, that is 5,960 lbs on the left rear and 5,840 on the right rear. After weighing, I decided on 85 psi on the rear @ 80 degrees. On a 100 degrees day at 60 mph, I see pressures of 105 to 111 on the inside rear and 102 to 106 on the outside rear. With 2,760 lbs on the left front and 2,680 lbs on the right front I run 73 psi @ 80 degrees. The on a 100 degree day the fronts run in the 91 psi range. Tires are Sumitomo ST-718 14 ply.
__________________
Jim & Roy Davis
2016 Hurricane 31S
1961 Rampside in tow
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:05 PM   #9
Site Team
 
EA37TS's Avatar
 
Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: Virginia
Posts: 4,651
THOR #1469
Something to check

My TPMS (Tire Minder) sensors can be plus or minus 3 percent of the tire pressure.

When temps change I inflate my tires to 105 PSI (a little more than inflation table re commendations) and then install the sensors. If the sensor for one tire reads 108 that is what the parameters on the system are set to. This allows 20 percent higher than 108 vs 20 percent of 105 which is lower. I haven't had an over pressure alarm since I took this approach.

My issue now is during two trips when I go up in elevation (mountains) one of my sensors (driver's side front) gives me a false rapid deflation error. It happened to me on a two lane in WV with no place to pull over and again on an interstate in the mountains of Virginia. I'm getting ready to contact Minder and have them send me a new sensor.
__________________

__________________
Dave
US Army (Ret)
2020 Entegra Accolade 37TS
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
high, pressure, tire, tpms, vesafe

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




All times are GMT. The time now is 08:59 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
×