Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 05-17-2020, 09:43 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 34J
State: Michigan
THOR #12625
Hissing sound from engine 2018 f53 2019 hurricane

Hello. I have a 2019 Hurricane 34j. So it sits on a 2018 F53 chassis. I have about 5k miles on the rig. Friday we started on a 8-hour trip and about 1 hour into the trip every time I press on the gas a really obnoxious howling and hissing sound starts and it gets louder as the engine revs harder and you can hear in the video that it gets really bad as it shifts down. Towards the end of the video you can hear as I level out that it gets quieter. This has never happened before and started again about 1 hour into the trip on Friday. There are no lights or codes and no issues found when I scanned the onboard computer. I looked underneath the motorhome around the engine I don't see anything out of place but I'm not a mechanic. other than it being extremely loud and obnoxious I was able to complete about a 16-hour trip over the course of 2 days. Any help or suggestions are appreciated. Thank you

The video starts with the hissing already pretty loud. Please watch the whole video and again you'll hear what normal sounds at the end of the video.

https://youtu.be/t0brtXYxn2E

Old 05-17-2020, 09:55 PM   #2

THOR #12625
Here is another video. You can hear in this video I'm pressing the gas and letting it up repeatedly for demonstration.

https://youtu.be/ZIpKAvN9vbQ
Old 05-19-2020, 12:10 AM   #3

Model: Thor outlaw 38MB
State: Florida
THOR #18251
Sounds like a belt or bearing maybe .is AC on? Does sound change if ac off or on? Does sounded change with engine unloaded (neutral ) and reved? Sound only under load?
Tough to isolate from just sound supplied. Good luck
Old 05-19-2020, 01:11 AM   #4

Model: Four Winds 31W
State: Illinois
THOR #7230
There is a whole other thread on here that sounds like the some issue you are having. I cant find it right now, soory.
But It had to do with the same type of noise. In that thread it was determined to be the belt. I have a 2017 Four Winds V10 that has this same noise.
The fix was changing the belt with a better belt and or to add another tensioner pully.
Old 05-19-2020, 01:15 AM   #5

THOR #12625
Quote:
Originally Posted by V1VR View Post
Sounds like a belt or bearing maybe .is AC on? Does sound change if ac off or on? Does sounded change with engine unloaded (neutral ) and reved? Sound only under load?
Tough to isolate from just sound supplied. Good luck

Thanks for some suggestions. It doesn't change with AC on or off.

I have not tried just reving it in neutral. I will try that.

What kind of bearing could it be? I Guess I'm only familiar with axle bearings. Are there more? That probably is a stupid question. I apologize in advance.

The belt suggestion is very interesting.
Old 05-19-2020, 01:16 AM   #6

THOR #12625
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacouser View Post
There is a whole other thread on here that sounds like the some issue you are having. I cant find it right now, soory.
But It had to do with the same type of noise. In that thread it was determined to be the belt. I have a 2017 Four Winds V10 that has this same noise.
The fix was changing the belt with a better belt and or to add another tensioner pully.
Thanks!!! I will do this as soon as I can. I will also look harder for the thread you suggested.
Old 05-19-2020, 02:37 AM   #7

THOR #18251
Alternator bearing., belt tensioner you might Try belt dressing spray probably easiest thing to try
Old 05-19-2020, 02:48 AM   #8

THOR #12625
Quote:
Originally Posted by V1VR View Post
Alternator bearing., belt tensioner you might Try belt dressing spray probably easiest thing to try
So would I just replace the alternator?
Old 05-19-2020, 03:09 AM   #9
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane34J View Post
So would I just replace the alternator?
Food for thought

Before you start spending a lot of money and engage in changing and praying (change a part and pray it fixes the issue) I recommend taking the coach to a Ford truck center and have them do a diagnosis. The hour of labor for the diagnosis may be saved in parts restocking fees you have to pay when you return items that didn't fix the problem. Some electronic parts can not be returned unless they were defective at purchase. For example, folks mentioned bearings. There are bearing on idler pulleys, bearing on alternator, bearing on water pump, bearing on fans. How many parts must be changed before you find the culprit.

Then again, like I always say, you are free to do whatever your wallet can afford. Taking it to a Ford service center might get the issue fixed under warranty.

Again, just food for thought.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 11:55 AM   #10

THOR #18251
EA37TS is spot on get a qualified service technician’s diagnosis. Then you will get information you really need to get your concerns addressed.
Old 05-27-2020, 06:18 PM   #11

THOR #10133
As a long time Mechanic I would go to ford heavy duty truck center they have a bolt lose on dampener pulley recall. Most likely isn't it but let the dealer troubleshoot it. Warranty
Old 05-27-2020, 07:46 PM   #12

State: California
THOR #10308
Exclamation Serpentine Belt

It's the belt that winds around everything. I had the same sound until it blew. Mine went out on my 2007 Hurricane. Lost power steering, power brakes and A/C. Very very dangerous if underway! The culprit was an A/c bearing that seized up. Easy for any mechanic to check it out.