Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-25-2013, 12:08 AM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Georgia
THOR #288
holding tank ?

i got a 1996 thor prism 20ft , i have a holding tank that is cracked and wonder how to tell what size it is and how to get it out ?

Old 04-25-2013, 12:50 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Brand: Crossroads
State: Wisconsin
THOR #124
Which tank is it?? Are you sure it's cracked and not one of the fittings leaking?
Old 04-25-2013, 01:28 PM   #3

THOR #288
Yea it's definitely cracked , it's the front tank so I want to say its the grey tank , I just got this a couple days ago , so I'm new to campers I just wonder how hard it's gonna be to get it out ? And maybe repair it , it's a long crack bout 2 or 3 inches .
Old 04-25-2013, 02:01 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

THOR #124
Apparently you don't have a membrane covering the bottom of your rig if you can see the tank.
I don't know much about repairing one of those things, and don't know how much I would trust it if it was repaired. That is just my thinking.
As far as removing it, I would think there must be supports under it, maybe even straps? The pipes that are plumbed into the tank probably have to be cut and when it or a new tank is installed you will have to have some connecters and cement them back together.
Try Googling up RV tank removal and repair and see what you can come up with.
Old 04-25-2013, 06:15 PM   #5

THOR #288
Thanks
Old 05-02-2013, 06:37 PM   #6

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36RL
State: Missouri
THOR #75
Could be repairable using automotive store tank repair kits such as for the windshield washer tank. Be sure to check which type of plastic your tank is. There are different types of repair kits. They only cost a few bucks and are easy to use.
Old 05-02-2013, 07:25 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

THOR #124
Quote:
Originally Posted by r.e.morley@att.net View Post
Could be repairable using automotive store tank repair kits such as for the windshield washer tank. Be sure to check which type of plastic your tank is. There are different types of repair kits. They only cost a few bucks and are easy to use.
I know there is repair kits on the market, but I'm not at all familiar with them, or how well they work. Is this something that will take the constant abuse and pounding it will receive bouncing down the road with the tank partially full?
Old 05-02-2013, 11:16 PM   #8

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36RL
State: Missouri
THOR #75
Hi Lloyd,
My fresh water tank had a multiple cracks in one corner. After I completed the repair with the kit from the Auto Zone I never had another problem hauling water or no water. When traveling, I limit the amount of water to zero gallons in the fresh water tank, when on the road as a full or almost full tank is very stressful on the tank. If the tank is a 30 gallon tank that is about 250 pounds of slushing water. If a 100 gallon tank (nearly what my Redwood 36RL has) that is nearly 850 pounds of water. If the tanks had baffles it would not be so rough/stressful on the tank. I learned this the hard way hence the need to repair the cracks.

I carry 2-6 gallon plastic "jerry" containers with fresh water so if we need water on the road I pour some into the tank. For "off grid" RV'ing I also carry an inflatable 40-gallon bladder for transferring water from a nearby water source. My 5th wheel hitch is a Reese Elite 18 K with slider and removable. I carry a cable type lift which makes removing the hitch a quick, safe and easy job. After removing the hitch I lay the fresh water bladder in the bed of the truck (and on top of a protective bed liner) then off to the fresh water fill point.

I must admit, as an retired engineer I held little hope for my repair however the kit was well made by Permatex and had very good instructions with it. I fully expected the repair not to work however it was great. The kit consisted of surface prep wipes, sand paper, spreader, a nice size piece of fiberglass, hardener and adhesive. The adhesive cures in just a few minutes so one must be "ready to go" when ready to apply to adhesive. Laying on my back and working upside down was the hardest part of the project. There are some good instructions on line on how to build up a fiberglass repair so will not bother you with those details.

The instructions indicated that the tank could be used without much delay however I gave the repair several days to cure prior to filling the tank.

I carefully researched the type of plastic that the tank consisted of prior to purchasing the repair kit. My next step would have been to replace the tank. I also researched tank replacement online and was building myself up to that huge task. Thank goodness the repair worked.

Hope this is helpful.
Bob
Old 05-03-2013, 01:55 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Model: Zinger ZT26BL
State: North Carolina
THOR #91
Sounds like a good fix. I will have to keep that in mind if I ever have this issue.
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 12:45 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

THOR #124
Bob
Thanks for the info on the repair. After reading your write up, it started to jog my memory about it. I seem to remember you have to know what material you need to repair, and make sure you get the appropriate repair kit for that particular plastic.
Old 01-21-2017, 06:28 AM   #11

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
THOR #6320
How much water is safe in the water tank while traveling?
Old 01-21-2017, 12:39 PM   #12
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mromeojr
How much water is safe in the water tank while traveling?
You can travel with as much, or as little water as you like--provided you don't otherwise have the camper loaded up such that its weight is over the gross vehicle weight rating.

Most people travel with just a little water--enough to flush the toilets and wash your hands--and then fill up at the destination. In general this is how we travel: about 1/3 of a tank to ensure we have some for use at rest stops and the like.

We do have one annual trip where there is no water hookups and the campground is relatively nearby (about 90 miles). In that case I fill it to the top at home and drive there with a completely full water tank (and completely empty waste tanks). We've been going to this campground for quite some time and I've always done this regardless of the camper (two TTs, one 5er, and now our Axis).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 01:18 PM   #13
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
I agree with Jamie - I travel with what I need. One nice thing about a motor home is you are self sufficient - having enough fresh water is a piece of that.
I only carry what I think I will need - typically 1/4 to 1/3 tank minimum...
On winter trips (starting north heading south) - the first overnight stop I have run into campgrounds with their water off to protect from freezing - so make sure I have enough to get south of the 'frost line'...

I rarely take a full tank - mainly for total weight - as my rig is very close to max weight when loaded for our 3+ month 'get-aways'...
A shorter trip with no water at the destination, I wouldn't hesitate to fill it up. (I'd be bringing less other stuff then!)

I did find in one of my 'check things out' maintenance weekends that the main support for the water tank (aluminum rail in front to hold it) had buckled. I repaired/reinforced it... (note this cabinet is screwed shut by Thor on my Hurricane - it should be opened at least for occasional inspection... as should all areas of the MH.)
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 03:22 PM   #14

Model: Travato
THOR #1765
That's one nice thing about having an E-450 in my new Axis rather than the E-350 in my 2014 Vegas. I am 2000 lbs under max in the E-450 while I was right at max in my E-350. I don't have to worry about water weight.
Old 01-21-2017, 03:40 PM   #15

Model: 2016 Siesta Sprinter 24ST
THOR #2812
If the tank is polyethylene, it can be "welded". Kits available online or dealer may know someone locally to repair.
1972 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
Hooligan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 04:06 PM   #16

Model: Hurricane 29D
THOR #5756
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmc View Post
I did find in one of my 'check things out' maintenance weekends that the main support for the water tank (aluminum rail in front to hold it) had buckled. I repaired/reinforced it... (note this cabinet is screwed shut by Thor on my Hurricane - it should be opened at least for occasional inspection... as should all areas of the MH.)
My 2002 Hurricane has the water tank all the way in the back. It is located behind the pass through storage area, underneath the bed. To get to that tank, I would have to take half of the motorhome apart. When taking just the bed platform of, I can see the top of the tank only! I have to hope that nothing will happen to that tank, because of the location of it. In fact, I don't even know how or with what it is held in place.
Because of it's location that far in the back, I hardly fill the tank at all, because it will take so much weight off of my front wheels, and that, in turn, might make it to last a long time.
Old 01-21-2017, 04:14 PM   #17
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneilkeys
That's one nice thing about having an E-450 in my new Axis rather than the E-350 in my 2014 Vegas. I am 2000 lbs under max in the E-450 while I was right at max in my E-350. I don't have to worry about water weight.
I wonder what Thor did: Right before our first ever camping trip I weighed ours with all of us in it, packed, and full of water and I still had 1000 lbs to go to the max E-350 weight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudsoner
My 2002 Hurricane has the water tank all the way in the back.
Wow, on the 24.1 Axis/Vegas the water tank is right behind the passenger rear wheel with easy access: Take off the passenger rear bed panel.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 05:28 PM   #18
gmc

THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudsoner View Post
My 2002 Hurricane has the water tank all the way in the back. It is located behind the pass through storage area, underneath the bed. To get to that tank, I would have to take half of the motorhome apart. When taking just the bed platform of, I can see the top of the tank only! I have to hope that nothing will happen to that tank, because of the location of it. In fact, I don't even know how or with what it is held in place.
Because of it's location that far in the back, I hardly fill the tank at all, because it will take so much weight off of my front wheels, and that, in turn, might make it to last a long time.
My 2000 Infinity had the take all the way in the back too... with an access hatch in the rear wall of that nice huge pass thru... There was plenty keeping that from moving forward.
Also liked the gravity feed drain on the side of the RV that let me fill pots/buckets/etc without running the pump.
Never noticed a difference in handling between full and empty.

My 2014 Hurricane has the tank between the dinette and the bathroom - certainly could break free and move if the holddowns break.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
Old 01-21-2017, 05:29 PM   #19
gmc

THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneilkeys View Post
Well... I'm at/near max on the F53 chassis... for the longer trips at least.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
Old 01-21-2017, 06:54 PM   #20

Model: Hurricane 29D
THOR #5756
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmc View Post
My 2000 Infinity had the take all the way in the back too... with an access hatch in the rear wall of that nice huge pass thru... There was plenty keeping that from moving forward.
Also liked the gravity feed drain on the side of the RV that let me fill pots/buckets/etc without running the pump.
Never noticed a difference in handling between full and empty.

My 2014 Hurricane has the tank between the dinette and the bathroom - certainly could break free and move if the holddowns break.
The drain at the side is nice, specifically if one wants to empty the tank after sanitizing it. But the only access I have to the tank (and the pump) is through an about 20" diameter hole inside the pass-through bin. The only other access is by dismantling the platform of the bed and getting to the tank from the top.
But my major problem is all that weight in the back when I fill the 58 gallon tank (which is roughly 480 lbs), and have my 300 lbs motor scooter on the back on it's carrier.
The only weight in the front is the engine and transmission and four batteries. If I have the tank filled and the scooter on, I almost feel like constantly driving up a slight hill!