Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 11-08-2018, 09:17 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 25.2
State: Florida
THOR #13661
Holy Jesus... Check EVERY orifice!

No, I'm not a closet forum poster, but Jesus...

This coach is only a few months old (I've had it less than a week), todays find were these leaky turds -

Again, the use of cheap, thin, water-leaking foam gaskets, and poor screw placement is killin' me (and our coaches - no wonder they delaminate so quickly).
The 2 top holes were stripped. I installed the entire housing a 1/4 inch higher, after drilling 4 new holes.

Gaps between 30 amp plug-in, and coaxial cable housings were ridiculous. Sure enough, the 8 retaining screws were rusted like the rear lenses (see rear lense leak repair thead), and all of the inside plywood was soaking wet! Had to repair these via the rear lense attack plan. Spent the whole day sealing anything remotely resembling a hole.

Why hasn't there been a class-action on these RV makers to force them to adhere to at-least a semblance of quality control?

Here are the pics. Again, cleaned the area with 70% ISO, used 3/4 inch extra thick butyl tape, replace with s/s screws, add in a toothpick to trim and your golden. Will last 50 years.

Tomorrow's project is curing. Had to use marine sealant to take up a 1/4 inch gap on the outside AC receptacle outlet housing to wall. More soaking wet wood and poor design/quality "gasketing".
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181108_094528.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	13929   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181108_094600.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	13930  

Name:	20181108_101013.jpg
Views:	328
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	13931   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181108_103221.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	13932  

Name:	20181108_104102.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	13933   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181108_104113.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	13934  

Old 11-08-2018, 09:21 PM   #2

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
congratulations, Pastor! You are now a true RV owner : )
Old 11-08-2018, 09:39 PM   #3

THOR #13661
I've owned RVs my whole life. Still have my 12 year old 21' Forest River Toyhauler and its rock-solid (for sale if anyone is looking for one). Never seen so many things wrong on anything. lol

The interior warranty fix-list is sizeable. Waiting for new cabinets (screws poking through), sink lid (which was glued to the sink) fridge skin (3 dents) etc...
Old 11-08-2018, 09:55 PM   #4

Brand: DRV
Model: 44' Santa Fe
State: Montana
THOR #2053
Check the stats on class action suits. Guess who really wins. You get .12 and the lawyers get 12,000,000. And that's only YOU have spent $120,000 convincing one there is enough probability and people to make it worth the while.

Bill
Old 11-08-2018, 10:29 PM   #5

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Yep, you have to check EVERYTHING inside and out if you want to be safe and save money in the long run.

Have you used 100 + zip ties under your RV yet? If not put that on your list. Lots of things (Wires, gas lines, cables etc) that need securing.

Oh yeah, get some caulk or sealer and seal everything (Under the RV) that you can including where the floor meets the walls of the RV and the cargo boxes etc.

Took me months to slowly go though everything - and im glad I did. Lots of loose connections, hanging wires or stuff that needed sealing.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 11:04 PM   #6

THOR #13661
I did have a hanging yellow wire in the middle of the coach that was dangling, w/ a black end. I just ziptied it when I got home. It was 8/10 gauge or similar. Any idea?

Also, are the HDMI / USB inputs on the dash (round black housing) connect to the radio or wall TV? The USB charges my phone, but that's about it. The USB or HDMI does nothing at the radio when hooked up to my samsung S7.
Old 11-09-2018, 12:21 AM   #7
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Well I was expecting something different after reading the headline...oh wait...

The HDMI in the dash is supposed to mirror your phone on the dash radio but don't bother its really low res compared to your phone and won't look very good.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 12:38 AM   #8

THOR #13661
Thanks.
Old 11-09-2018, 06:37 AM   #9

Model: Four Winds 31E (2019)
State: California
THOR #12270
on this note..... went to drain my fresh water tank today. found the valve at the bottom of the under-the-bed electrical. (touching exposed energized romex is always a hair raising experience.) opened the valve and peeked under the rig. the drain only pokes out 1 inch and is directly above the "rear wire loom" where wires enter the slide and the electrical area from the front of the coach. (including the shore power wire )

seriously thor!? you couldn't have added 18 more inches so you could pull the drain hose against the chassis and avoid getting everything wet?
Old 11-09-2018, 11:50 AM   #10

Model: Four Winds
State: Ontario
THOR #9081
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAxisOwner View Post
I did have a hanging yellow wire in the middle of the coach that was dangling, w/ a black end. I just ziptied it when I got home. It was 8/10 gauge or similar. Any idea?

Also, are the HDMI / USB inputs on the dash (round black housing) connect to the radio or wall TV? The USB charges my phone, but that's about it. The USB or HDMI does nothing at the radio when hooked up to my samsung S7.
The mirroring will not work with your model of the Samsung phone.
Old 11-09-2018, 11:56 AM   #11

Model: Four Winds
State: Ontario
THOR #9081
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemaster View Post
on this note..... went to drain my fresh water tank today. found the valve at the bottom of the under-the-bed electrical. (touching exposed energized romex is always a hair raising experience.) opened the valve and peeked under the rig. the drain only pokes out 1 inch and is directly above the "rear wire loom" where wires enter the slide and the electrical area from the front of the coach. (including the shore power wire )

seriously thor!? you couldn't have added 18 more inches so you could pull the drain hose against the chassis and avoid getting everything wet?
Interesting. On my 2018 there is clear piping going from the tank(under the bed) to the side of the RV. The drain valve is mounted on the side of the RV on the outside. My concern is when I have water in the tank, then I also have water in the line from the tank to the valve. This line is exposed to the elements and thus when I go down the road in below freezing weather it will freeze. I am going to have to install another valve at the exit of the tank.
Old 11-09-2018, 01:13 PM   #12

Model: Windsport 34E
State: North Carolina
THOR #13360
electronic positioning

What's the deal with putting the Converter, ATS the circuit board 12volt and 120 and the bulk of the wiring under the bed with the water tank and pump plus newly added EMS system.With all the storage in this unit I'd gladly loose one cabinet to get the water away for the electrical
2015 Windsport 34 E
Old 11-09-2018, 07:52 PM   #13

THOR #12231
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTHook View Post
What's the deal with putting the Converter, ATS the circuit board 12volt and 120 and the bulk of the wiring under the bed with the water tank and pump plus newly added EMS system.With all the storage in this unit I'd gladly loose one cabinet to get the water away for the electrical
2015 Windsport 34 E
Yeah, i was shocked when I looked under by bed and it had all of the wiring and plumbing mixed together. But I guess as long as all the wiring is connected on each end correctly (and no cut or splits in the wire insulation) they should be Okay if they get a little wet. But I dont want to test mine out.... do you? LOL.

But I guess this is common in the RV world so I will just keep an eye on mine.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Old 11-09-2018, 07:59 PM   #14

Model: Windsport 34E
State: North Carolina
THOR #13360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
Yeah, i was shocked when I looked under by bed and it had all of the wiring and plumbing mixed together. But I guess as long as all the wiring is connected on each end correctly (and no cut or splits in the wire insulation) they should be Okay if they get a little wet. But I dont want to test mine out.... do you? LOL.

But I guess this is common in the RV world so I will just keep an eye on mine.
This is right up there with the loose wires and cables in the wheel wells flapping around in the wind, blow one tire and you've got some problems.
I need to look at making up some steel covers for the wires to protect them when a tire gives up.
I never thought building one of these things would need a Rocket Scientist to get it right.
Old 11-09-2018, 08:17 PM   #15

THOR #12231
Yep, thats a good ideal. Over even it is was a hard plastic or rubber cover for the wires.

Well its all of the NASA rejects that show up at Thor's door step. LOL

I think THOR shows up at the NASA parking lot with a sign "Lose your job and your a rocket scientist? Apply here"
Old 11-10-2018, 01:09 AM   #16

THOR #13661
EXACTLY! That was a leak I had when i drove it home. Had to call the dealer when i got home with it. Someone left the fresh water drain petcock open slightly and it dripped from the floorboard area. It needs a 90 degree elbow, approx 6" of tubing, then another elbow and tubing downwards... I'm glad I'm documenting all of this.

Lazy, Lazy, Lazy...
Old 11-18-2018, 02:56 AM   #17

Model: Hurrican 34J
State: Texas
THOR #4107
Unhappy Also Check all wiring!

First winter on the road in Freezing temperatures out black and grey waste water pipes froze and started leaking.
This was not supposed to happen because I turned on the heating mats for each holding tank.
After our trip when we returned to just above freezing temperatures in Texas, I got under the coach to inspect the damage and figure out how to fix it.
I noticed some wires terminals hanging from the bottom of the coach... after a few minutes I realized those are the wires which power the heating pads under the holding tank! no wonder they didn't work!
Won't even bother trying to make Thor pay for my cracked pipes, haven't had positive resolutions on prior warranty claims.
Old 11-18-2018, 03:05 AM   #18

THOR #13661
That sucks... Don't even get me started on the welds I saw while under mine... And yes,my heating pads were also coming off the tanks. Im going to seal them with my handy-dandy marine sealant.
Old 11-19-2018, 12:18 AM   #19

State: Iowa
THOR #12078
heating pads

I thought the heating pads for the tanks were inside the tanks. What do they look like if they are on the outside?
Old 11-19-2018, 12:21 AM   #20

State: Iowa
THOR #12078
Drain on fresh water tank

I never have found a drain on the fresh water tank 29.3 thor. I have been under the bed numerous times and crawled under the coach looking for it.