Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 01-01-2022, 11:25 PM   #21

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
Just bought one.
Plan is to cover when not using for more than a month.
We'll see.
Watched a video and it was very easy to put on. Ten minutes max.
I'm also 54 and in shape.
Funny story, before covering I did the roof cleaning/treatment thing. Noticed some sap from a pine tree that hangs over the storage spot. Got my chainsaw on a stick and 10 foot aframe ladder in the truck and went to work.
Climb up the ladder, cutting away. Need to get a little higher so I climb the tree a bit. Ladder falls over. So I'm hanging out in this pine about 20 feet off the ground, and no branches to climb down on (I cut them all off).
After about 20 minutes someone drives up and I get there attention. After some confusion, they get the ladder back up and I'm back in business.
Happy New Year to all.Attachment 35437
I thought you were gonna say your Cat called the Fire Department

If you gonna cover and do it right; like I know a few others (see Chateau Nomad / Jamie Geek) that have it down like a science; the cover should be fine. I tend to think if I lived in Minnesota (or similar); and would leave it for few months, I might get me some help to put it under a cover; but if I did so; it would NOT be out of concern of UV protection etc, just to keep it clean and protected from outdoor elements when I know I would NOT be using.

Thanks for sharing your picture; it speaks volumes for your work ethic not to mention what a properly applied cover looks like.

2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 11:41 PM   #22

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
Running the engine is important but I also think it’s good for the transmission, differential,wheel bearings and brakes to get used regularly. Maybe overkill and only an opinion but I also enjoy the ride.
I take mine for a 50 mile spin every month.
Old 01-03-2022, 05:20 PM   #23

Model: 34E Hurricane
State: Michigan
THOR #25490
VDUB - Now I am truly jealous!
Old 01-03-2022, 06:32 PM   #24

Model: Hurricane 34R
State: Indiana
THOR #19887
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sappy2 View Post
I full cover mine and my son helps me cover it...
I do that too and we usually "unpack" by middle March for our spring break vacation...
RACarvalho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 05:54 AM   #25

State: Washington
THOR #6433
We cover ours but it’s because of the snow and rain that we get here in Washington state. We had a roof leak right after we bought ours and once we got that fixed I figured we needed to do everything that we could to keep it from leaking.
Old 01-05-2022, 07:33 PM   #26

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Colorado
THOR #19132
Cover

I don’t like the idea of climbing on an RV roof as I feel it is not good for it (not to speak of falling off). So I devised a better way of putting the cover on. I tie a rope to one of the cover end straps, fold the sides across the top and roll the rope up in the cover. I place the cover on one end of the Roof and throw the other end of the rope across the roof. I then I pull the rope (while on the ladder) unfolding the cover. I find I have to help it over the air conditioner with a telescoping pole. My brother is now using this method and it works fine for him too!

As mentioned in an above reply. If you plan to use the RV in the winter you will find the cover freezes to the roof. Next time I plan to put visqueen down first to see if that will take care of the freezing issue.
Old 01-05-2022, 08:06 PM   #27

Model: ACE 29.4
State: Tennessee
THOR #17583
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
This is the cover I use for my RV:

Ted This cover is good but the vinyl will sun fade if you leve the sides open like that. Ask me how I know
Old 01-05-2022, 08:13 PM   #28

Model: Chateau (22E)
State: Colorado
THOR #19060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fweezal View Post
I've been driving around quite a few RV storage facilities and I noticed one thing pretty much in common: Of the ones parked outside, not a lot of them have full covers. The majority of those parked outside DO have wheel covers but NOT full covers.

Am I being a little OTT wanting to put a full cover on mine? Will just wheel covers do me?

What say you, O wise and wizened ones?
My two cents : I guess It depends on where you live and how long you want to keep the rig safe & clean ! #1. In my area, winter is brutal with below freezing temps from December to late March. Ice will damage the house exterior. I wont get into inside the walls damage today. Wind and dust will dull the exterior coating. Sun impact in winter is also an issue, here in Eastern Canada.

How Much work you will need to add in the spring is also to be considered.

#2. Wheels : Rubber, Chrome, Disk brakes will be affected by all of the above winter conditions of your area. Tires are so neglected! ... age, wear, sidewall dry-up, etc Will make your driving more hazardous if not maintained regularly. Protecting your investment is crucial.

Disk brakes & pads dont last very long in Northern climates when neglected . Helping them is a good Idea in my book.

Unless you can afford a heated garage to keep it spotless & dry from bumper to bumper !

My wrap-up : A Cover is worth the money, tire covers are a must. All this, if spring prep of your rig is something you have done more then once in the past.

Happy Rv'ing !
Old 01-06-2022, 08:19 AM   #29

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Europe
THOR #9936
I used a cover on a towable rv once, but, after a few months I found that it had rubbed through paint on the corners and seemed to be holding moisture. Never again for me so, I built this...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210929_132521.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	188.1 KB
ID:	35509  
Old 01-06-2022, 04:52 PM   #30

State: Missouri
THOR #19360
Quote:
Originally Posted by vdub View Post
I realize not everyone is blessed to have 50 acres to build a shed on. I built this in '06 for our 5th-wheel. It has a concrete floor and measures 25' x 40'. The doors are 13' high and 12' wide. The wife really gave me grief when I first built it, but has since mellowed. At the time, the total cost to build was $18,000. I would hate to think what it would cost today. I purposely built it with no windows except for the small amount of diffused light above the doors. My brother built the doors and I asked him to make them mouse proof and they are -- every seam is metal-to-metal when they are closed. I've never had a mouse get in. The building now houses my Magnitude SV34, which is about the largest RV I can get in the building.
Great looking. I envy you, don't have the space nor money to duplicate on my place