Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 04-02-2020, 01:30 AM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.2
State: California
THOR #14923
OlwWEB—

I agree with the idea of the HWH being reversed, but can’t find ant evidence of it, especially when I take off the cold kitchen faucet connection, run city water and get cold water into the bucket from the blue (cold) supply side.

Old 04-02-2020, 02:16 AM   #22

Model: A.C.E 27.2
State: Louisiana
THOR #17883
I do believe that your city water is plumbed into your hot water piping. And your pump is plumbed correctly into the cold water piping.
Old 04-02-2020, 03:51 AM   #23

THOR #14923
It’s possible, I don’t see how. If so, how could this happen:

1) Connect hose to city water inlet. Leave off initially
2) Assure HWH is on.
3) Disconnect the blue(City water connected) line from the kitchen faucet. It’s pretty much a straight shot from the outside orifice.
4) Turn on hose

The result is cold water coming out of the blue hose line, appropriately.

Now:
Do the same, but do not connect the hose to city water. Turn on water pump. Hot water now comes out of the blue (cold water) disconnected hose.

I’m beginning to think there is an abnormal connection on the opposite side, that I can’t see, where hot was connected to cold. The Thor diagrams say the connecting hoses that go down into the floor are 60”, so they must connect somewhere over by the water tank. Perhaps a bad connection there.
Old 04-02-2020, 03:53 AM   #24

THOR #14923
Where in LA are you? I graduated from Tulane Med in 1976, in NOLA.
Old 04-02-2020, 10:37 AM   #25

Model: 2011 FW Hurricane 33T
State: England
THOR #16471
Water Heater "OFF"

Quote:
Originally Posted by richguess View Post
Yes, of course. Didn’t mean to imply otherwise. Always had HWH on during the tests.
Please turn "OFF" the WH (both valves - "In and Out) and try the taps at all locations (toilet too). Cold should only come out of the cold taps, not hot water out of the cold tap, nothing out of the "H" taps, and do this with the pump and city water. Please.
Here is the diagram again:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Water 1.gif
Views:	129
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	23123  
Old 04-02-2020, 03:35 PM   #26

THOR #17883
Quote:
It’s possible, I don’t see how. If so, how could this happen:

1) Connect hose to city water inlet. Leave off initially
2) Assure HWH is on.
3) Disconnect the blue(City water connected) line from the kitchen faucet. It’s pretty much a straight shot from the outside orifice.
4) Turn on hose

The result is cold water coming out of the blue hose line, appropriately.

Now:
Do the same, but do not connect the hose to city water. Turn on water pump. Hot water now comes out of the blue (cold water) disconnected hose.

I’m beginning to think there is an abnormal connection on the opposite side, that I can’t see, where hot was connected to cold. The Thor diagrams say the connecting hoses that go down into the floor are 60”, so they must connect somewhere over by the water tank. Perhaps a bad connection there.
I'm in central eastern La about 15 miles from the Mississippi line. I live about 30 miles southeast Natchez Ms.

OK, I had it backwards. I thought that you were getting hot water out on the cold side when hooked to city water. If you are getting hot water out of a blue hose when the pump is on, the pump discharge is hooked up to the hot water lines instead of the cold water piping and city water is correct.

The left side of each faucet, inside and outside shower should be hot water.
Old 04-02-2020, 08:58 PM   #27

THOR #14923
Test
Old 04-02-2020, 09:15 PM   #28

THOR #14923
Problem solved!! Thx for everybody’s help, diagrams, etc. With valves on HWH shut off, all water came out only from the cold side, except the kitchen faucet, which I believe is unintentionally reversed. Since, when on city water, cold water comes out of the blue supply to the kitchen faucet, and when on tank water hot water comes out of that same hose, I determined there must be an abnormal connection between hot and cold AFTER the water lines go under the floor (where they are not accessible.) I removed the lower refrigerator panel, the lines (2 blue, 1red) come up thru the floor. They are the white braided ones when they enter, so there must be a connection under the floor. The solution was to reverse the hot/cold braided lines from their origins BEFORE they go under the floor. Hence, cold is now cold, hot is hot. Much like multiplying 2 negative numbers.

I’m not reversing the kitchen faucet connections, as I prefer hot in the back position, cold in the forward. What a journey this one has been. Mahalo again for everybody’s help.

Rich
Old 04-02-2020, 09:34 PM   #29
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Sooo,

I’ve attempted to diagnose this problem still without success. My ACE 27.2, when plugged into city water, reverses the hot and cold on all faucets, including the outdoor shower. The toilet flushes hot water. When using the water tank, no city water hookup, it is normal. All connections I can see (under the sink, bypass valves, outdoor shower, etc.) are correct. Reversing the outdoor shower as suggested did nothing. Thor sent me a plumbing diagram, but otherwise was no help. Obviously something was reversed at the factory. I bought it used (as a 2018 with 5000 miles)and doubt the original owner even noticed it. On the IRV forum, someone had a similar problem, and found a reversed line under the indoor shower. (He had to cut out the floor, etc.) It’s not important enough to start cutting holes everywhere to find it, but if there is a solution please let me know. The MH has been great otherwise. Thx.
Quote:
Problem solved!! Thx for everybody’s help, diagrams, etc. With valves on HWH shut off, all water came out only from the cold side, except the kitchen faucet, which I believe is unintentionally reversed. Since, when on city water, cold water comes out of the blue supply to the kitchen faucet, and when on tank water hot water comes out of that same hose, I determined there must be an abnormal connection between hot and cold AFTER the water lines go under the floor (where they are not accessible.) I removed the lower refrigerator panel, the lines (2 blue, 1red) come up thru the floor. They are the white braided ones when they enter, so there must be a connection under the floor. The solution was to reverse the hot/cold braided lines from their origins BEFORE they go under the floor. Hence, cold is now cold, hot is hot. Much like multiplying 2 negative numbers.

I’m not reversing the kitchen faucet connections, as I prefer hot in the back position, cold in the forward. What a journey this one has been. Mahalo again for everybody’s help.

Rich
So how did reversing the braided lines going to the kitchen sink fix ALL faucets?
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 12:21 AM   #30

THOR #17883
I'm glad that you were able to solve the problem.

I like your idea of having cold water come out of the kitchen faucet in the down position. To me it seems normal that way.
Old 04-03-2020, 01:43 AM   #31

THOR #14923
That’s not what I did. The lines (white, insides braided, not the stainless one from the faucets) that go underneath the floor from the HWH and cold city water apparently were connected incorrectly under the floor, ie. hot to cold and cold to hot (like everything else in hastily made RV’s.) The solution, as there is no access under the floor to correct the problem directly, is to reverse the hot/cold BEFORE they go under the floor, which is what I did. My kitchen faucet is connected backwards, i.e. hot to cold, but I like having hot at the rear, cold at the front, like my ho,e faucets, so I’m not changing that.
Old 06-24-2020, 02:29 AM   #32

State: Virginia
THOR #18622
I have the same issue in a 2016 ACE 29.3 I bought used.
I'm going to try your solution.
Thanks
Old 06-24-2020, 03:03 AM   #33

THOR #14923
Get back to me if it doesn’t work, I tried a host of things. The main thing is to assume the connection has been reversed somewhere inaccessible, and reverse it where it goes u Dre the floor.
Old 06-25-2020, 01:29 AM   #34

State: Virginia
THOR #18622
Hot /Cold Water Reversal

Thanks for your help
I took the cover off the bottom of the fridge - nothing there.
Then I looked under the sink, there is a cover between the under sink storage and I removed it exposing the water heater and the famous white hoses connected to the water heater hot water and the cold water.
I switched these and wala - hot water goes to the left side and cold water to the right side as it should.
Also no more steam coming out of the toilet after flushing.
I noticed theelectrical connection box for the water heater was half off so I and guessing previous owner had to replace the water heater and switched the hoses in reconnecting the water lines.

You know, I had a 2008 Coachman C class that rarely had issues.
I bought this 2016 with 6,000 miles from a dealer in february and it has been one issue after another.
Hopefully I've got them all fixed now!

Thanks Again
Old 06-25-2020, 03:09 AM   #35

THOR #14923
Excellent! Could have been them, could have been the factory, but it’s fixed. That’s about the only significant thing that’s happened with mine (27.2 ACE). Fingers crossed. These things are really thrown together, but the basics are the same with an expensive one or a less expensive one. Being a little bit of a Mr. Fixit helps.
Old 07-10-2022, 09:59 PM   #36

THOR #27140
I too have an ACE, a 2020 27.2. Same problem with reversal. Hot toilet water seems to have caused an issue with what looks like rubber gasket material, herniating into the sewer pipe where it enters the black tank. Anyway I followed your lead, reversed the reversal before flexible white pipes go under floor—-problem fixed! Now for the toilet….
Old 07-10-2022, 10:45 PM   #37

THOR #14923
Most excellent! I just unpacked 68” recliners from Shop for Seats. They look great. Figuring out how to install them. When I get started next week I will put pics etc on the appropriate thread. The outside TV will have to go.
Old 07-10-2022, 11:02 PM   #38

THOR #27140
Sounds like a good trade. I recall we watched our outside TV once….
Old 09-10-2022, 07:39 PM   #39

Model: A.C.E. 30.2
State: Texas
THOR #27938
Short time reader, first time poster. Glad I found this thread on Google. Thought I was bonkers.

Bought a used 2015 Thor ACE 30.2. Been on a road trip for a few months now. Realized that hot / cold are reversed - but in our case when we are not on city water but on our own tank. Weird.

I am starting to investigate if the solution that was suggested would work in my case too. Also emailed Thor and asked for a diagram ... not holding my breath though.