Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-20-2018, 10:28 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 29M
State: California
THOR #9399
Hot/Cold Water Switched

I have a 2018 Hurricane 29M. We have used it three times since we bought it. We use city water, and use electricity for the water heater. All three times the hot facets were cold and the cold facets were hot. Additionally, the toilet water is hot, very hot and steamy. Last month, for the second time, it was at the dealer's. The technician used the holding tank, and hot/cold facet were correct. They asked me to come in, and verify the facets were correct, which they were. Any suggestions?

Old 07-21-2018, 05:14 PM   #2

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
Well that is a head scratcher for sure. How can hot water get to the cold water side of fixtures and the toilet assuming the red and blue/white pex is plumbed correctly to “all” fixtures and the hot water heater is also plumbed correctly (including any check valves in the right direction)? The only way of mixing the two I can think of is if hot and cold fixture valves are both left on somewhere. Make sure the dog wash (outside) hot and cold valves are both closed for starters as they can allow a mixing of hot and cold. Also make sure the winter bypass valves are set for summer use and the bypass leg is not leaking through. But that should be the same for using city water and fresh tank water sources. The only other thing might be that with new coaches plastic bits from coring holes in tanks gets into the water system (sometimes for years) and can migrate and plug filters; check valves and control valves. Did you ask the tech to try the city water inlet while you were in the shop?
Old 07-21-2018, 05:38 PM   #3

THOR #9399
Thanks for the suggestions. When they had me come in, we did discuss them switching to city water the next day. Not sure if they did. The previous Service Advisor was not great on communication or follow through. Hopefully, his replacement is better.
Old 07-21-2018, 07:00 PM   #4

Model: 22FE
State: Washington
THOR #8606
In my 2018 22F/E, kitchen sink fixture is plumbed in wrong direction for H and C. I've left it that way not wanting C.W. to switch it, will do myself.
Old 07-21-2018, 08:44 PM   #5

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
Well if the dog wash valves are not open and the hot water bypass valves are all correctly set for Summer use (and bypass line is not leaking) then the other option is they connected the city water feed line accidently to the hot water line somewhere. So when on fresh water the pump operates normally supplying cold water to the heater and all things are normal except the city water line should feel hot......can you access this ccity water line and feel if it is hot? When using city water (coming into the coach cold......and it now supplies cold water to all normally hot side valves). It also forces hot water out the wrong way into the normally cold water lines so toilet and cold side faucets get hot water now. So follow the city feeder from outside wall to where it physically connects into the other water lines and it probably is connected to a hot line......my best guess.
Old 08-04-2018, 12:02 AM   #6

Model: ACE 29.3
State: Texas
THOR #12364
Hot & cold mix

Had same problem on ACE 29.3, line was switched under the slide.
Old 08-04-2018, 12:48 AM   #7

THOR #9399
Thanks. I’ll check that.