Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 06-24-2016, 12:33 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2019 Vegas 25.6
State: Oklahoma
THOR #3467
Hot in Oklahoma

Vegas motor home sitting in full sun 95 degrees out side and 82 degrees inside is that the best Axis/Vegas will do?
I have a 15,000 BTU A.C.

Old 06-24-2016, 12:39 AM   #2
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by hudson0231 View Post
Vegas motor home sitting in full sun 95 degrees out side and 82 degrees inside is that the best Axis/Vegas will do?
I have a 15,000 BTU A.C.
We returned from Colo, Utah, AZ & NM .. 3 states extremely hot..no problem.
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 12:40 AM   #3

Model: ACE 30.2
State: South Carolina
THOR #2915
Quote:
I have a 15,000 BTU A.C.
I have a Coleman Mach 15 (15000btu) in my unit and it gets colder that that. Do you have your awning out that would help throw some shade on your MH? Did you us any other kind of insulation/covers to help keeping the MH cold?

Dan

"Be all that you can be!"
Dan9841 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 01:44 AM   #4
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
How long did you let it go? Did you open up the vents on the bottom of the A/C to cool the main area a bit quicker? (Even opening them up partially helps a lot.)
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 01:48 AM   #5
vkb

THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
How long did you let it go? Did you open up the vents on the bottom of the A/C to cool the main area a bit quicker? (Even opening them up partially helps a lot.)
Agree and ... if you open the ceiling vent a touch..the hot air will escape..hoping it relieves your problem.
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 06-24-2016, 02:08 AM   #6

THOR #3467
We were out for three days at night it got really cold, had the awning out also I've had all my windows tinted windshield and side window don't know really what else could do also a lot of condensation coming out on the side of the coach, I did have the bathroom vent raised that didn't seem to help.
thanks for the replies
Old 06-24-2016, 02:16 AM   #7

THOR #3467
front windshield with tint.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	2318  
Old 06-24-2016, 02:33 AM   #8

THOR #3467
Can someone tell me how to post a photo thanks
Old 06-24-2016, 03:12 AM   #9

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Like this?
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	140
Size:	148.2 KB
ID:	2320  
Old 06-24-2016, 03:14 AM   #10
vkb

THOR #3510
Quote:
Can someone tell me how to post a photo thanks
looks like you got the photo posted ! What I do, if I take a photo with my phone, I email it to myself, open it and place it on my desktop of computer..then , on this box at the top where the paper clip is, hit the carrot and a window will open with a maximum of 4 photo inserts..hit the top one and choose the location of your photo (jpg is best) and choose that photo, then if you have another do it again. Once you have chosen your photos, close that box and go back to the paper clip and place your cursor on the work area and click on the photo you want to place in this box, one at a time.
finish your commentary and save the box.
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 06-24-2016, 03:18 AM   #11
vkb

THOR #3510
Quote:
We were out for three days at night it got really cold, had the awning out also I've had all my windows tinted windshield and side window don't know really what else could do also a lot of condensation coming out on the side of the coach, I did have the bathroom vent raised that didn't seem to help.
thanks for the replies
Regarding your condensation problem...you may want to make sure you do not have wet towels, etc. in the motorhome ..especially without vents open...
we are in the same general area of the country and we deal with the humidity (which right now .. there is none...hot n dry) .. but, when it is humid, we are cautious when it comes to moisture in the rv.

Our windows were tinted at the factory.
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 06-24-2016, 03:37 AM   #12

THOR #2121
Quote:
thanks for the replies
Condensation is a sign that the AC is removing a lot of humidity from the air, which adds to cooling load beyond just cooling the air inside the motorhome.

In dryer climates where air has low relative humidity, like out west, the AC should keep up easier given same air temperatures.

I would not personally open a roof vent on a regular basis (while air conditioning) to let warmer inside air out. Chances are the air inside is cooler than that outside air, and if you let air out a vent it has to be made up from outside. Plus the outside air is humid which adds to AC load.
Old 06-24-2016, 03:39 AM   #13

THOR #3467
my windows are also factory tinted but I also l had upper and lower of the windshield and lower driver and passenger windows done now all windows are tinted can't hardly see the gauages in the daylight.What is your inside temperature when the outside temperature is in the 90s?
Old 06-24-2016, 03:59 AM   #14

THOR #3467
I drove around the RV Park and noticed no one else had as much condensation coming out from under their coaches as much as ours I feel like we have a possible leak somewhere that is drawing air from outside our walls windows floor I have no idea.
Old 06-24-2016, 11:55 AM   #15

THOR #3467
Photo with all my windows tinted.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	158
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	2330  
Old 06-24-2016, 12:00 PM   #16
vkb

THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
Condensation is a sign that the AC is removing a lot of humidity from the air, which adds to cooling load beyond just cooling the air inside the motorhome.

In dryer climates where air has low relative humidity, like out west, the AC should keep up easier given same air temperatures.

I would not personally open a roof vent on a regular basis (while air conditioning) to let warmer inside air out. Chances are the air inside is cooler than that outside air, and if you let air out a vent it has to be made up from outside. Plus the outside air is humid which adds to AC load.
Chance .. agree with you .. I suggested the vent only as a short, temporary exit of extreme heat. The condensation emitted from our a/c is, I would say average.

Hud..right now, since we are in the driveway, not running a/c, I cannot tell you temp inside unit with a/c running. Will report same tomorrow when we begin loading for trip. In addition, I will check interior temp,(without a/c), later today, and let you know ...
Last night, unbelievably cool ! We are supposed to have rain today. Just hope it doesn't turn into severe weather !
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 06-24-2016, 12:26 PM   #17

THOR #3467
awning is out and coach is setting in full sun and is 83° inside 95° outsided, I think it should do much better on cooling inside the coach, maybe I'm just spoiled to 73° in my house,
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	124
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	2331  
Old 06-24-2016, 12:48 PM   #18
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Get a thermometer and place it in the vent that is blowing cold air. Record the temp after a few minutes. If the temp is approx 15 - 20 degrees cooler than the inside temp of the coach (delta T or temp split) your AC unit is performing at its peak and it will take time to cool down the coach. If the temp difference is less than 15 degrees the AC unit may require service. If it is over 20 degrees look for a blocked/restricted vent.

Ac units will only cool the air approx 15 - 20 degrees based on the inside temp (air going into the cold air return) and not the outside temps.

There is an extensive discussion on the topic in this thread

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f8/...ture-1700.html
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 01:15 PM   #19

THOR #2121
Quote:
I drove around the RV Park and noticed no one else had as much condensation coming out from under their coaches as much as ours I feel like we have a possible leak somewhere that is drawing air from outside our walls windows floor I have no idea.
Another possibility is if you go in and out of RV more than others? Perhaps leave the door open much longer than usual? That's one way to get more heat and humidity inside the coach (or a house) than others who keep theirs closed up.

In Texas and Florida (both warm and humid areas) I've had that problem at home when people leave door wide open to talk rather than step outside and close it behind them. It happens also when children are playing outside and constantly go in and out. It can put a lot of extra load on AC.
Old 06-24-2016, 01:26 PM   #20
vkb

THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
Another possibility is if you go in and out of RV more than others? Perhaps leave the door open much longer than usual? That's one way to get more heat and humidity inside the coach (or a house) than others who keep theirs closed up.

In Texas and Florida (both warm and humid areas) I've had that problem at home when people leave door wide open to talk rather than step outside and close it behind them. It happens also when children are playing outside and constantly go in and out. It can put a lot of extra load on AC.
Chance .. well said !! We were thinking the same thing ! So many variables which affect cooling, and, for sure, an rv is sooo different from a brick n mortar home.
Jeep Wrangler TJ