Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 02-02-2017, 08:03 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Class C / Chateau 31L
State: Iowa
THOR #1763
Hot water heater

Works fine on LP gas, but not on electric. Checked all fuses and breaker - ok. Is this a heating element type problem? If, so, can I buy one and replace it?

Old 02-02-2017, 08:38 PM   #2

Model: Freedom Elite 29fe
State: Florida
THOR #4656
If it was ever turned on by electric with no water present, the element is toast. They are cheep, even at CW.
Old 02-02-2017, 10:06 PM   #3

Model: Four Winds 22E
State: West Virginia
THOR #3119
Yea, probably the element. As was stated, if it ever accidentally was turned on 120v without being full of water its toast. It only takes a few seconds to overheat and open the coil.
Old 02-02-2017, 10:32 PM   #4

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Texas
THOR #6162
The on/off switch on the water heater is on, correct?? To check open the outside door and it is probably on the lower half. Should be a black rocker switch.
Old 02-02-2017, 10:53 PM   #5

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
The element is inexpensive & not a big deal to change, but be sure to buy the tool, a big deep socket you turn with a long screwdriver, to make it very easy. It could also be the thermostat under the black cover with the resets, if its a Suburban brand, they are also easy to replace, one is 12 volt the other is 120 a.c..
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 12:12 AM   #6

Model: ACE 29.4
State: Oregon
THOR #2824
I had the same problem - hot water with propane but not on AC. Turns out a wire wasn't connected from the factory.
Old 08-08-2021, 02:55 AM   #7

State: South Carolina
THOR #22342
My Water Heater just went out on the 110V side. Is this a warranty item? It looks like the entire water heater will need to be removed from side of my THOR ACE, is the electric heating element on the inside of the unit?
Old 08-08-2021, 07:21 PM   #8

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by txc2936@yahoo.com View Post
My Water Heater just went out on the 110V side. Is this a warranty item? It looks like the entire water heater will need to be removed from side of my THOR ACE, is the electric heating element on the inside of the unit?

Depends on which water heater you have. My 6 gallon Dometic water heater has its electric element on the back side (or inside the RV). It just unscrews but access likely is very limited. Mine didn’t fail but was not adequately sealed causing a messy, persistent leak. I had to remove the the whole thing from the coach. The good news is that it wasn’t an especially difficult job.
Old 08-08-2021, 07:38 PM   #9

THOR #22342
thank you. I found a GC6A-10E manual online and did some trouble shooting. It looks like i get 12 VDC into the board WHITE wire, when i select the 110V switch. But there is no voltage to the YELLOW wire going to the relay to turn on the 110VAC pwr. So, i jumped the White and YELLOW wire and could hear the relay clicking behind the unit. So, i am assuming the board is defective and will need to replace, $128 on Amazon. I will call THOR on monday and see if they will cover the expense. They usually do, because i dont charge labor....

Thanks
tom
Old 08-08-2021, 07:41 PM   #10

THOR #22342
BTW, the unit is enclosed in a compartment under the RV, so getting access to the back of the unit will require removing all the screws from the plastic compartment, and dropping it. The RV will need to be Jacked up to gain access.
Old 08-08-2021, 08:15 PM   #11

Model: Palazzo 33.2
State: Georgia
THOR #8078
DO some diagnostics on the circuit board. You can get a scheme online or from the owners manual. Since LP works you must be getting 12v to the circuit board and the ground must be intact. Check to see if 12V is getting to the relay that activates when the electric HWH switch is turned on. I had a similar problem and it was the board, not the heating element. I got a replacement board from Dino electronics and that worked.
Old 08-08-2021, 10:37 PM   #12

THOR #22342
Thanks, Yes i jumped the white and yellow, i could hear the Relay close. So its on the circuit board.
Old 08-09-2021, 11:55 PM   #13

THOR #22342
Thanks I replaced with a new board 91365 from CW. Pretty expensive, but THOR has indicated that they will handle the Warranty. I was able to diagnose issue with YouTube video and owners manual. This saved my a trip to CW to have them look at problem. Waiting a week for them to issue a warranty claim, and a return trip. Very simple fix, but super HOT here in SC to be working on an RV....
Old 08-10-2021, 01:48 AM   #14

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by txc2936@yahoo.com View Post
Thanks I replaced with a new board 91365 from CW. Pretty expensive, but THOR has indicated that they will handle the Warranty. I was able to diagnose issue with YouTube video and owners manual. This saved my a trip to CW to have them look at problem. Waiting a week for them to issue a warranty claim, and a return trip. Very simple fix, but super HOT here in SC to be working on an RV....

Make a note of the part number. If they replaced it with an OE board it’s a cheap Chinese part and another failure is not unlikely. You just never know. If it fails after your warranty expires you’ll know what to get and can order it from Amazon for less than half of what CW charges. If it was mine and it failed again I’d buy a Dinosaur board and not worry. Having the OE part number will make it easy to get the correct Dinosaur board if you choose to do that. Glad you’re fixed up!