Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 08-26-2016, 07:12 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #5091
Angry Hot water heater in Thor ACE 30.1

I found out I didn't have any hot water while plugged into land power. Circuit breaker was off and wouldn't go back on. Removed the hot water heater from the compartment and looked behind it where the wiring is located. I found the relay was corroded, especially where the black hot lead comes in from the breaker. In fact the tab broke off in my hand. Went to an RV store and picked up another relay that looks like it fit and it did. I cleaned up the wiring, soldered a new tab on the hot lead and put the wiring back on the relay; black wire from the heater element, green wire, yellow wire and the power black wire with new tab. Since there was no water in the heater, I emptied it to remove the unit, I wanted to test to see if the heater would get current when the inside switch was turned on. With daughter inside manning the switch and me outside with the meter, I looked for the 120 Volt AC across the heater element when she turned on the switch. Nothing was measured. I looked across the main power lead and there was 120 VAC there.

Question is, how does this relay work? Where does it get the signal from to close the circuit to the heater? Is there anything I am missing to repair the water heater????

Robert

Old 08-31-2016, 11:01 PM   #2

State: North Carolina
THOR #3952
You may need to take the leads off of the element to test.
Old 09-01-2016, 10:42 AM   #3

THOR #5091
OK folks I think I fixed the problem. I found out there was no 12v signal going to the relay from the control board (yellow wire to the relay). Thor told me to check the appliance fuse inside the RV to make sure they were working. That fuse was ok and 12 volts was present at both sides of the fuse. He then suggested I look for a reset button on the control board of the water heater itself. I didn't find a reset button but I did find a small 2 amp fuse that when I tested found 12 V at one side and not the other. When I removed the fuse and tested for continuity, it was definitely blown. Went to auto supply store and picked up a package of mini spade fuses containing a 2 amp version and put it in yesterday. Now 12 volts was present at both sides of that fuse. With the heater black lead removed earlier, I went inside and turned on the 120 volt switch for the water heater. There was now 12 volts present on the yellow wire. I plugged it into the relay and heard the relay close. I also was now able to measure the 120 volts AC going to the heater lead. So I put everything back together yesterday and plan to fill the water heater with water and see if it actually works today.
Keep in mind the relay is located on the inside of the heater meaning the entire unit had to be removed. The fuse on the control board is located on the front of the unit and was easily accessible.
Old 09-01-2016, 05:00 PM   #4

THOR #5091
Smile

just as a follow-up. Today I filled the hot water heater, turned it on and after a few minutes, started to get hot water again!!!!

happy camper again!!!

Robert