Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-08-2020, 09:58 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Nevada
THOR #20052
House batteries

Can I use a 12v battery instead of two 6v batteries

Old 11-08-2020, 10:20 PM   #2

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
yes, but why would you - two 6v deep charge are much better for camping
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 10:36 PM   #3
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
As long as you end up with 12 volts worth of output:
Having a single q2 volt battery would simplify your wiring...
But having a pair of them would be even better!
Question: would a 12 volt marine battery that has been designed for use with trolling motors be considered as "deep cycle"?
Old 11-08-2020, 10:37 PM   #4

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
As noted above, two series wired golf cart batteries give you the most bang for the buck and are true deep cycle batteries. Most 12V batteries are not, but if you want to use them you can. Just wire two in parallel (+ to +, - to -) instead of series wired for the 6V golf carts.

David
Old 11-08-2020, 10:39 PM   #5

State: Nevada
THOR #20052
Thank you
Old 11-09-2020, 09:25 AM   #6

Model: Tuscany 42GX
State: Missouri
THOR #9178
Upgrade your battery situation based upon need

Lots of options
Old 11-09-2020, 11:24 AM   #7

Model: Quantum RQ29
State: Ohio
THOR #13648
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
As long as you end up with 12 volts worth of output:
Having a single q2 volt battery would simplify your wiring...
But having a pair of them would be even better!
Question: would a 12 volt marine battery that has been designed for use with trolling motors be considered as "deep cycle"?
When I still owned my bass boat I was always told that the trolling motor battery was deep cycle.
Old 11-09-2020, 12:00 PM   #8
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I always heard that; just looking for some confirmation as regards it-s accuracy.
Old 11-09-2020, 12:06 PM   #9

Model: Tuscany 42GX
State: Missouri
THOR #9178
I tried two new 12v Marine batteries in my Landmark twice

Neither sets performance was even close to true deep cycle batteries

Really comes down to what you're requirements are as Marines could work well for many

If you're looking at heat overnight plus fridge you're going to be disappointed in most cases
Old 11-09-2020, 12:41 PM   #10

THOR #20289
True deep cycle flooded lead acid batteries have three characteristics that set them apart from wannabe batteries: filler caps, more room above and below the plates for electrolyte, and heavier plates. Unfortunately it is hard to know about the latter two by looking and many manufacturers of 12V batteries slap a label on a starting battery and call it deep cycle. One sure fire indication is no amp hour rating on the label.

With few exceptions the only true deep cycle battery is golf cart 6V batteries. These are designed for a specific deep cycle application and any batteries that don't hold up in that service are quickly run out of that market.

The only exceptions in 12V types are very expensive like Lifeline batteries.

AGMs are different. As best I can tell there is no difference between starting and deep cycle batteries. Their design characteristics make the three criterion above meaningless.

David
Old 11-09-2020, 12:56 PM   #11
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
David,
Thanks for the explanation!

Can you give us an idea about how close to (or far from...) a golf cart battery's performance; is a 12 volt AGM design?
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 09:00 PM   #12

Brand: Cruiser
Model: Georgetown 30x3
State: Idaho
THOR #17441
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
David,
Thanks for the explanation!

Can you give us an idea about how close to (or far from...) a golf cart battery's performance; is a 12 volt AGM design?
I’ve read you are only supposed go discharge AGMs to 50%, so they would be much less useful in RV. Golf Cart batteries are the way to go.
Old 11-14-2020, 09:33 PM   #13

THOR #20289
There is a lot of hard data on depth discharge vs cycle life for GC batteries from Trojan and others, but nothing from AGM manufacturers.

My gut is that a true deep cycle battery like the Trojan golf cart battery has about the same cycle life vs depth of charge capability as an AGM. AGMs shouldn't have the same sulfation problems which is the bane of FLA batteries.

And to the PPs comment above, both AGMs and golf cart batteries lose life if routinely discharged below 50%.

Firefly carbon foam batteries are supposed to tolerate 80% depth of discharge well but I don't know why. And of course lithiums can go to 90% routinely.

David
Old 11-14-2020, 10:30 PM   #14

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidEM View Post
There is a lot of hard data on depth discharge vs cycle life for GC batteries from Trojan and others, but nothing from AGM manufacturers.

My gut is that a true deep cycle battery like the Trojan golf cart battery has about the same cycle life vs depth of charge capability as an AGM. AGMs shouldn't have the same sulfation problems which is the bane of FLA batteries.

And to the PPs comment above, both AGMs and golf cart batteries lose life if routinely discharged below 50%.

Firefly carbon foam batteries are supposed to tolerate 80% depth of discharge well but I don't know why. And of course lithiums can go to 90% routinely.

David
If you look at the flooded life cycle charts you will see that the depth of the discharge and the time the battery is left in the discharged state effects the number of useful cycles. For some reason 400 cycles was chosen as the optimum. To have 400 cycles and still have 75% of the useful battery amperage available when fully charged, the battery can not be discharged below 50% capacity. The less the battery is discharged the greater the number of cycles possible.

For me the problem I find with flooded batteries, as they reach near the end of their useful life, they require a lot of water. My original Harris batteries only need about a cup of water every month during the summer for the first two years. During the third year, I was using about a pint of water every two weeks. I changed to a couple of Walmart's flooded batteries the 4th year and have only add a table spoon of water every other month.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 03:07 PM   #15

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
If you look at the flooded life cycle charts you will see that the depth of the discharge and the time the battery is left in the discharged state effects the number of useful cycles. For some reason 400 cycles was chosen as the optimum. To have 400 cycles and still have 75% of the useful battery amperage available when fully charged, the battery can not be discharged below 50% capacity. The less the battery is discharged the greater the number of cycles possible.

For me the problem I find with flooded batteries, as they reach near the end of their useful life, they require a lot of water. My original Harris batteries only need about a cup of water every month during the summer for the first two years. During the third year, I was using about a pint of water every two weeks. I changed to a couple of Walmart's flooded batteries the 4th year and have only add a table spoon of water every other month.

One of the things I like about flooded batteries is that they seem to give plenty of warning that they are about done, AGM batterie seem to work fine until all of a sudden they don’t. I like to have shopping time.
Old 11-15-2020, 03:56 PM   #16

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
One of the things I like about flooded batteries is that they seem to give plenty of warning that they are about done, AGM batterie seem to work fine until all of a sudden they don’t. I like to have shopping time.
I like FLA’s also
And there are three places to purchase Deep Cycle group 27 at the lowest cost, under $90:
- Walmart: Everstart ($82)
- SAMs Club: Duracell ($82)
- Costco: Interstate ($88)

So there’s no shopping time necessary
Old 11-15-2020, 04:26 PM   #17
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I have Duracell type 27s right now.
They're not bad, and have used very little water; but I find myself leaning toward a pair of AGM 31s when the time comes...
Old 11-15-2020, 05:03 PM   #18

Model: Four Winds 26B
State: Ohio
THOR #20900
I've gone with AGMs in my last two TTs and really prefer them. They hold up really well and it's nice to not have to worry about adding water.
Old 11-15-2020, 05:16 PM   #19
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
That is my biggest concern...
Old 11-15-2020, 05:56 PM   #20
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
My current rig came with 4 6 volt AGM batteries for the house and 2 12 Volt AGM batteries for the chassis. It is definitely nice not having to add water. Check the cables periodically to make sure everything is tight and I'm good to go.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote