Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-06-2021, 03:29 AM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
F53 Oil Change Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pillbox View Post
Dk,
Your special to us here on thor forums, and all your insights are appreciated.
Besides, not getting my hair cut like mahomes.
Terry
Thanks... I think I may be a special need because it took me 3 1/2 hours to change my oil today

Last year, I put one of those special Fumotos with nimple; so it would be less messy & extremely easy this year. I even made a catch funnel from large plastic detergent jug to catch the oil filter and it's oil; but everything backfired. Despite running the engine and having hot oil, my drain tubing was too small. After about 1 1/2 hrs it still had not drained all the oil from the engine so I had to go to Lowes and buy special 3/8" clear tubing that allowed the oil to flow faster from the nipple. With all of the oil finally out; I go to my special funnel I bought from auto zone that fit 4 gallon containers and quart containers; but it took forever to pour; especially the 4 gallon container; It is junk thatr looks likes it may work but worthless; so I had to pour the gallon containers into quart containers and just squeezing into engine until I could get a quart out. I needed 8 quarts; so this took almost another hour; but I got it done with the only thing being good was no mess this year. However, I think I will need some additional special tools for the next oil change because I certainly had some special needs. I think the Fumoto with the 3/8" Clear tubing will be a winner next time, the plastic funnel I made worked well for the oil filter, but there has got to be a easier way to pour 8 quarts of oil in the engine?

2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 11:21 AM   #2
CHS

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2019 Chateau 28Z
State: Tennessee
THOR #22388
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
Thanks... I think I may be a special need because it took me 3 1/2 hours to change my oil today

Last year, I put one of those special Fumotos with nimple; so it would be less messy & extremely easy this year. I even made a catch funnel from large plastic detergent jug to catch the oil filter and it's oil; but everything backfired. Despite running the engine and having hot oil, my drain tubing was too small. After about 1 1/2 hrs it still had not drained all the oil from the engine so I had to go to Lowes and buy special 3/8" clear tubing that allowed the oil to flow faster from the nipple. With all of the oil finally out; I go to my special funnel I bought from auto zone that fit 4 gallon containers and quart containers; but it took forever to pour; especially the 4 gallon container; It is junk thatr looks likes it may work but worthless; so I had to pour the gallon containers into quart containers and just squeezing into engine until I could get a quart out. I needed 8 quarts; so this took almost another hour; but I got it done with the only thing being good was no mess this year. However, I think I will need some additional special tools for the next oil change because I certainly had some special needs. I think the Fumoto with the 3/8" Clear tubing will be a winner next time, the plastic funnel I made worked well for the oil filter, but there has got to be a easier way to pour 8 quarts of oil in the engine?
I feel for you. Hate when they design things to be hard to do maintenance.
The old saying. "They can send a man to the moon but........."
My E450 chassis is by far the easiest engine I ever had to change oil. 15 minutes tops.
Old 12-12-2021, 12:53 AM   #3

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Quote:

Get a pump
Old 12-12-2021, 02:36 AM   #4

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo56 View Post
Get a pump
I saw a pump that the ACE had recommended that I liked; but it was 12v. Believe it or not; I don't have convenient access to 12v DC around my front engine. Last thing I want to do when changing oil is to go inside my RV to gain access to my battery compartment; I look like Messy Marvin and Pig Pen all rolled into one

This was just my 2nd oil change. Last year I was told to buy this Flo Tool https://www.amazon.com/Hopkins-10106...46198410&psc=1

It is worthless piece of %$#@ to me

It does not even fit the quart bottles of the oil I use, and while it does fit the gallon containers it will not pour because the there is no easy way for it to vent. The plastic tubing will even slide off.

But it is great to pour windshield washer fluid in it's container

So my challenge is what do I do next year? My Fumoto drain problem will be a snap because I have the right drain tube to use now; it cleanly drained into the oil container.

What I am thinking about is trying next year to get oil in is my existing boat's oil extractor pump? https://www.amazon.com/Mityvac-7201-...65623780&psc=1 It is manual pump that I use to extract the oil out of my twin marine engines. It has a reverse that I have never tried or needed to use. Next year I may add 7.5 quarts into it and then try to manually pump it into the engine? If it works it will be great because that thing was not cheap.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 12-12-2021, 01:31 PM   #5

THOR #17765
Quote:
I saw a pump that the ACE had recommended that I liked; but it was 12v. Believe it or not; I don't have convenient access to 12v DC around my front engine. Last thing I want to do when changing oil is to go inside my RV to gain access to my battery compartment; I look like Messy Marvin and Pig Pen all rolled into one

This was just my 2nd oil change. Last year I was told to buy this Flo Tool https://www.amazon.com/Hopkins-10106...46198410&psc=1

It is worthless piece of %$#@ to me

It does not even fit the quart bottles of the oil I use, and while it does fit the gallon containers it will not pour because the there is no easy way for it to vent. The plastic tubing will even slide off.

But it is great to pour windshield washer fluid in it's container

So my challenge is what do I do next year? My Fumoto drain problem will be a snap because I have the right drain tube to use now; it cleanly drained into the oil container.

What I am thinking about is trying next year to get oil in is my existing boat's oil extractor pump? https://www.amazon.com/Mityvac-7201-...65623780&psc=1 It is manual pump that I use to extract the oil out of my twin marine engines. It has a reverse that I have never tried or needed to use. Next year I may add 7.5 quarts into it and then try to manually pump it into the engine? If it works it will be great because that thing was not cheap.
I power my pump with a battery charger. I carry it in the coach for emergencies. Also use it to air up inflatables with the 12v tire/air compressor. First time I used it I powered it off my zero turn mower. Use your imagination like you did that drain. I just pull the plug and spill oil all over frame & steering components.
Old 12-12-2021, 02:04 PM   #6

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo56 View Post
I power my pump with a battery charger. I carry it in the coach for emergencies. Also use it to air up inflatables with the 12v tire/air compressor. First time I used it I powered it off my zero turn mower. Use your imagination like you did that drain. I just pull the plug and spill oil all over frame & steering components.
I didn't buy one of those Vair compressors for similar reasons (lack of convenient 12v supply); so I carry on all our trips my Botsch 6 gallon portable electric compressor.

Next year I will try my Mityvac Pump. Unfortunately, I have to wait a full year to test my theory. My goal is a spill free oil change in less than 20 minutes. The funnel I made for Oil filter catch, and the Fumoto nipple has 2 parts covered, I just got to get a better process to get the oil in the crank case.
Old 12-12-2021, 02:59 PM   #7

Model: 34E Hurricane
State: Michigan
THOR #25490
I got lucky with a local oil change place with big bay doors. They do local fleet trucks, so an RV was a snap. Not only does the oil and filter get changed, they lube the chassis, air all my tires including dolly. 60 bucks out the door!
Old 12-12-2021, 03:43 PM   #8

THOR #17765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sappy2 View Post
I got lucky with a local oil change place with big bay doors. They do local fleet trucks, so an RV was a snap. Not only does the oil and filter get changed, they lube the chassis, air all my tires including dolly. 60 bucks out the door!
Nice
Old 12-12-2021, 03:45 PM   #9

THOR #17765
Quote:
I didn't buy one of those Vair compressors for similar reasons (lack of convenient 12v supply); so I carry on all our trips my Botsch 6 gallon portable electric compressor.

Next year I will try my Mityvac Pump. Unfortunately, I have to wait a full year to test my theory. My goal is a spill free oil change in less than 20 minutes. The funnel I made for Oil filter catch, and the Fumoto nipple has 2 parts covered, I just got to get a better process to get the oil in the crank case.
Plug the battery charger into a 50 ft extension cord. It’ll be a convenient 12v power supply. And you won’t trip over the pancake compressor.
Old 12-12-2021, 03:56 PM   #10

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sappy2 View Post
It's $85 for me.
The 24.1 fits in a standard oil change bay.

I have all the Fancy stuff to do the oil change.

It's $85 to have it changed at a quick-lube in under an hour.
I've decided I didn't need to save $35 six times over the next ten years by tormenting myself with an oil change I do myself.

I take no pride in mundane tasks.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 04:01 PM   #11

THOR #13932
https://www.ebay.com/itm/28414111827...caAn-wEALw_wcB

Buy one of these.
I didn't check fitment for this particular oone in the link.
Buy the ford unit made by the same company.

Or
Use a cut-to-fit 2 liter soda bottle.

And
Look up
Hand drill powered in-line pump.
$12ish

And
Since 1963 ford suggested grease at 100,000 mile intervals.
What's changed?
I don't know the current suggestions.

Old 12-12-2021, 04:39 PM   #12

THOR #17765
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
https://www.ebay.com/itm/28414111827...caAn-wEALw_wcB

Buy one of these.
I didn't check fitment for this particular oone in the link.
Buy the ford unit made by the same company.

Or
Use a cut-to-fit 2 liter soda bottle.

And
Look up
Hand drill powered in-line pump.
$12ish

And
Since 1963 ford suggested grease at 100,000 mile intervals.
What's changed?
I don't know the current suggestions.
Somebody buy one and let me know how it works. For me changing oil is not mundane. It’s an opportunity to knock down a 6 pack doing something other than watching sports. Makes my wife think I’m doing something productive as well. I can make an afternoon of it now that I’m not losing any scalp tissue.
Old 12-12-2021, 05:08 PM   #13

THOR #13932
I have one.
It works just fine.

If you don't want this wrench or to use a soda bottle:
(Wrench will need de-oiled, bottle is a throw-away)
1 Crack the filter loose so you're sure it'll come off.
2 tighten SLIGHTLY
3 Use a big long nail to poke a hole in the filter. No need to drive the nail home.
Only the tip is needed to make a hole.
4 Leave the nail in place.
5 use a pair of pliers or whatever gets your hand out of the way. Use it to remove the nail. Use the filter as a lever. Rock the pliers against the filter,
6 Drain filter before removal.
7 use a plastic trash bag as a glove
8 spin off filter
9 enclose filter in your bag-glove.

Old 12-12-2021, 05:21 PM   #14

THOR #13058
For me it about saving time, and using the exact oil & filter I wish to use. i.e. There is a local park nearby that I can go to and I can dump for free, but the time to drive out and the process to get the RV back on it's spot can take 2 1/2 hrs. I bought my Jetflo macerator and a 3/4" in hose to dump at home; and I can do the entire process in 30 minutes.

I think I am good going forward with oil changes.
I should be able to change the oil in 20 minutes. The Fumoto valve with nipple and 3/8" tube to drain straight to the pan only takes a few minutes. The yellow catch basin is what I made for my oil filter and it worked (it is in picture lower left on the ground). The Mityvac Pump will work perfectly next year. I pulled it out to just validate, it pumped 8 liters of test water in about 2 minutes ( no DC required)

Note: I have had that Mityvac Extractor/pump for 4 years. I didn't think to use it before as a pump because before I had no idea that pouring oil into engine would be such an ordeal, then when I learned it was an issue the solution (funnel tool from autozone) I tried failed miserably. By shear coincidence, I have what I need, it will hold 8.5 quart and I can pump as little as 4 ounces if wanted to.

@Jimbo,
I don't carry a charger in my RV. Might sound funny; but I have no need for charger or even trickle. If my batteries hit 12.5 vdc my AGS will tell me. I do have Emergency start switch that we only used during PDI just to verify it works if the chassis was dead.

I do have plenty of heavy duty extension cords, but mainly just to get 15/20 amps of power from a temporary local source to the RV. I have only used the compressor if I needed air in any of the tires while on the road and I didn't want to fool with trying to find air or heaven help me if they charged me $.50 cent for air
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Inked20211212_104057_LI.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	151.9 KB
ID:	35196  
Old 12-12-2021, 05:43 PM   #15

THOR #13932
I'll have to read of .00001:1 oil type/name brand related v10 failures before I care much about oil brand or even mid value weight.
I get my choice of filters at the oil change place.

I'd also need to read about an established brand of oil filter causing an engine failures more than an anomaly of 3:1,00,000

I understand want.
If you want to, that's fine.
I do PLENTY based solely on want.

The justification is want.
There are no other reasons which can be proven.
If you want to do the labor
If you want the pride
If you want the tools
If you want a skill to fall back on if you need extra income.
If you want to save $30 and then bitch because some 85 IQ guy is jobless.
Hit it. Enjoy it.
It ain't religion, but it's justified in the same ways.
The charity I give is given to that working oil-change guy and others like him. He sure isn't there by choice. It's one of my justifications.

For every
'The goof in the shop left the filter loose, they didn't re-add oil'
There are 1,000 do it yourselfers who did the same. 1:1,000.

Just a view in support of sometimes not doing it yourself.
Nothing else,
If it were anything else I sure as hell wouldn't have given instruction and linked tools.

Old 12-12-2021, 06:47 PM   #16

THOR #13058
Quote:
I'll have to read of .00001:1 oil type related v10 failures before I care much about oil type.
I get my choice of filters at the oil change place.

I'd also need to read about an established brand of oil filter causing an engine failures more than an anomaly of 3:1,00,000

I understand want.
If you want to, that's fine.
I do PLENTY based solely on want.

The justification is want.
There are no other reasons which can be proven.
If you want to do the labor
If you want the pride
If you want the tools
If you want a skill to fall back on if you need extra income.
If you want to save $30 and then bitch because some 85 IQ guy is jobless.
Hit it. Enjoy it.
It ain't religion, but it's justified in the same ways.
The charity I give is given to that working oil-change guy and others like him. He sure isn't there by choice. It's one of my justifications.

For every
'The goof in the shop left the filter loose, they didn't re-add oil'
There are 1,000 do it yourselfers who did the same. 1:1,000.

Just a view in support of sometimes not doing it yourself.
Nothing else,
If it were anything else I sure as hell wouldn't have given instruction and linked tools.
I will elaborate what I was stating when I said For me it about saving time, and using the exact oil & filter I wish to use.

For me it is all about the time.
. I have 4 cars, 2 motorcycles, 1 boat & 1 RV. I complain, whine, bitch and moan every time I have to take them all to be Inspected for the State. It is a beat down having to get in line waiting but I have no choice. It is the Law.

Yes; I want to do all my oil changes because I don't want to go to the lube places that may take anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour. Part of my wanting to is because I know I can't service every aspect of my RV and will not try, but the oil changes I can do; and do so within 20 minutes. The F-53 posed some challenges that I am still surprised the way it was designed, but I have finally conquered the obstacles ( after 2 years / 2 oil changes)

I was just kind of stating as an after thought that I can select my own oil and oil filter simply because I can. I was not saying it is an issue with what a lube store may use or that I was worried about some failure. There is difference. I happened to use the same oil in my engine that goes in my Generator; a Chevron Delo. For all my cars I use the Fram that fits, but for RV, Generator, Boat and Motorcycles I buy the OEM oil filters in advance. I usually find them as cheap as Frams. It is not a money thing for something I do once a year, it is just what I want to do.

But with that said and what this discussion points out for me is without the Fumoto valve, without a Oil filter catch, and without an efficient manner to put oil in the F-53 crankcase, I would spend that hour at a lube store because it would take me a lot longer otherwise; even if I had to pay $150 for the RV oil change. It should be a 20 minute or less job and hopefully next year it will be for me.

Note: I should point out I am the same person that has ZERO desire to add water to FLA that actually wants to change my oil and filter in all my engines. It may be related to the fact that I can always predict and change oil on my schedule; whereas the water requires monitoring and checking periodically and I likely will miss. Again the for me it is all time management related.
Old 12-12-2021, 07:10 PM   #17

THOR #13932
As it is for me. Time savings.
Our last 3,500 mile to not see the northern lights trip,
We stopped at the oil change place on our way out of town.
It was 40 minutes and 3 miles out of our way.
I have no idea if it was due for a change or not. It was possibly close, and I'm not one to overstuff a garbage bag or live life on a set in stone parameter which can't be proven.
So a trip upcoming, a past trip or two..oil change seemed reasonable.

The post wasn't aimed at you.
It was aimed squarely at the spouse who asks:
'Why don't you change our oil yourself? He does.'

I think we may all remember the post where the guy asked that when he hit 3,000 on a trip if he should he towed to the dealer for his oil change.

Old 12-12-2021, 08:59 PM   #18

THOR #13058
Quote:

I think we may all remember the post where the guy asked that when he hit 3,000 on a trip if he should he towed to the dealer for his oil change.
Yes, and he has to repeat on 3 month intervals. The quick-lube chains usually recommend it be done every three months and 3,000 miles. You should have changed the oil before your trip to see Northern Lights; and again about 500 miles from home. And if you don't put any miles on the RV at all you still need to get oil changed every 3 months. If you don't drive the RV; please don't wait past the 3 month; because you will need to have RV towed from the house to the dealership

All kidding aside; believe it or not oil changes is one of those things my wife and I do together. We (she) document everything from oil used, tool size used, torque in psi or n-m, date, miles etc. etc. We impress people when we sell vehicles because we have it all. As a general rule I change every year; but once I go over 7,500 miles I may do it earlier. I will push it with the boats & motorcycles because I never exceed hours or miles with either.

Put oil changes in the our Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs under Self Esteem.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Oil Change Guy.JPG
Views:	47
Size:	18.7 KB
ID:	35198  
Old 12-13-2021, 12:30 AM   #19

Model: Hurricane 29M
THOR #11781
While we are talking about oil changes, does anyone use an oil udder?
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 01:59 AM   #20

Model: Damon Daybreak
State: New Mexico
THOR #19133
Never heard of an oil udder till now.
I will NEVER take my vehicle to a quick lube place. Minimum wage dufus wrenching on my rig. Loose drain plug, wrong/no plug gasket, too much oil, not enough oil, wrong filter, loose filter. Too many things to go wrong. And when they mess up, and you blow up your engine, good luck getting them to admit fault. I'll do it myself, thank you very much.