Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-28-2021, 04:39 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Alabama
THOR #14401
House batteries CCA

Hello,

Our house batteries are plum dead, so I’m on the search for two replacement unfortunately I cannot see the CCA on the dead batteries does anyone have any recommendations on what type of 12 Volt DCM BATTERIES I should get for our 2018 Thor Vegas 25.3?

Also do I need to disconnect the main battery before getting new ones installed?

Thank you all in advance!
Dee K.

Old 08-28-2021, 04:44 PM   #2

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Buy as large capacity of type 24 as you can afford.
Some say 27's fit, they don't fit in my rv. 24's fit in my rv which should be the same battery box as your RV. If you 27's now, get 27's again. If you have 24's, 27's are a risk to fit.

You're somewhere between $170 and $1,700 in battery cost.
Any type 24 you buy will be equal or greater to what came from the factory/you have now.

You typed
'Getting installed'
Prompting me to think you won't be doing this yourself.
The professional installing them will know what to do.

Take PLENTY of pictures of the wiring right now. It can be a confusing re-wire to even a pro.

This is not a light chore.
It might require laying under the vehicle to undo the straps holding the batteries.
It's a tight fit if you're of bulbous build.

The batteries might have to slide in from underneath requiring you to lift them from beside you, then slide them up your belly to have them sit on your chest as you lift them up to their holder. There will be BIG wires you'll have to manipulate with one hand while moving the battery into position with the other.
The above doesn't even begin to equal setting the dirty batteries on your chest and then sliding them off of your ribs/belly to remove the dead ones.

Think twice....

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 04:47 PM   #3

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
Before you remove the old batteries, take a lot of pictures of them and the connections. I would also label them so that when you do remove them, you know where all of the battery cables and other associated cables need to go. Clean all of the battery terminals and use a spray on battery terminal protector to help keep them clean. The labels on the old batteries may be visible once you remove them.

Paul
Old 08-28-2021, 05:21 PM   #4
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by topd65 View Post
Hello,

Our house batteries are plum dead, so I’m on the search for two replacement unfortunately I cannot see the CCA on the dead batteries does anyone have any recommendations on what type of 12 Volt DCM BATTERIES I should get for our 2018 Thor Vegas 25.3?

Also do I need to disconnect the main battery before getting new ones installed?

Thank you all in advance!
Dee K.
You don't buy house batteries based on CCA. You buy house batteries based on storage capacity, Amp-Hours or Watt-Hours. You also want deep cycle batteries if available and affordable. If not you can settle for Marine/RV deep cycle batteries (they're actually combination start/deep cycle batteries). The bigger the battery the more capacity it has. Your cheapest replacements would be the marine/RV deep cycle batteries at Walmart. Get two of the biggest ones that will fit in your battery space: Group 27 or maybe group 31.

When changing out the batteries disconnect from SP and never allow the positive lead going to the coach breaker touch any metal if you don't disconnect the chassis battery. There's probably a breaker under the hood you could trip that would isolate the chassis battery from the house batteries but someone with the same coach as yours would have to tell you where it's located.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 05:39 PM   #5

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
Good advice from 16ACE27 above. The under step compartment on the Axis/Vegas is 26 1/2" wide. Two Group 31 batteries which are 13" long will just fit.

It is almost impossible to find true thick plate deep cycle Group 31 batteries. I replaced my G27s with a pair of Windynation 100AH, Group 31 AGM batteries. AGMs work fine in deep cycle service.

See: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

David