Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 05-03-2020, 04:47 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Quantum GR-22
State: Arizona
THOR #11838
House batteries not charging - Questions

Hi,

I have a Thor GR22 with 2 deep cycle 12v house batteries.

I checked battery water levels, and both are full.

I start the generator every weekend and run it at a minimum 30 minutes while cleaning, maintenance, etc.

Yesterday I tried to start the generator and it would not turn it over, just a clicking sound. I started the vehicle engine, and again tried to start the generator and it turned over and it started up.

I ran it for 45 min, and shut down the generator, and shut vehicle engine off

This morning I checked the 2 house batteries charge with the following results:

- Engine off, generator off, external power supply to RV disconnected.
Battery1: 11.4V Battery2:11.6V

- I ran the generator with no problem turning it over and starting up.
Battery1: 11V Battery2: 11V

- I turned on the A/C
Battery1: 10.4V Battery2: 10.2V

- 30 min later, with gen running and A/C running
Battery1: 7.6V Battery2: 7.4V

- I turned off A/C and gen
Battery1: 10.6V Battery2: 10.8V

- I started vehicle engine, ran for 10 min

Battery1: 14.2V Battery2: 14.0V

- I stopped vehicle engine and plugged in RV to home power receptacle.

Battery1: 12.0V Battery2: 12.0V

My questions are:

- It appears gen and external power connected to RV are NOT charging house batteries. Running vehicle engine does charge house batteries. Am I assessing this correctly?

- What charges house batteries with only gen running, engine off and no external power connected to RV ?

- My assumption is that running only gen, OR only vehicle engine, OR only external power connected to RV without the others should charge house batteries. Is this correct?

- Based on what I found above, and my assumptions, whatever charges the house batteries when only the gen is running, or only the external power is connected to RV is bad. Is this correct?

- I am suspecting the Converter or main battery switch relay (low probability)

- Anything else to check?

thanks in advance

NativeAz
NativeAz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 05:21 PM   #2

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
I am not familiar with your specific model but I have owned Thor Class C and Super C coaches and have a good understanding of the house batteries, charging, etc.

First things first.... do you have the Use / Store Switch in the "Use" position? If you do not, your house batteries will not charge when plugged into Shore Power or if the Generator is running.

If it is not in the "Use" position, the shore power or generator won't charge the house batteries.
Old 05-03-2020, 05:40 PM   #3

THOR #11838
I checked and it is in "Use" position. I never changed it to "store" setting since we owned it, but checked to make sure.

Thanks

NativeAz
Old 05-03-2020, 06:19 PM   #4

THOR #12751
I assume you have lights, etc. inside the coach with the switch in the "Use" position and without shore power or the generator running the red light is on.

That being said...... I would check the following:

1) Make sure the AC breaker for the Converter is not off or tripped. If it is, the house batteries will not charge.

2) There are typically two 12V fuses for reverse polarity for the Converter / Charger. You may want to check to make sure they are good. They are usually 30 or 40 Amp fuses. These will blow if the battery cables ever get reversed. If one or both are blown, the batteries won't charge.

3) In the battery compartment there are usually a couple Bussman breakers that control power to the Levelers, Generator and to the 12V electronics bay. The one for the 12V electronics bay usually a 50 Amp breaker. Make sure that is not tripped.

The Converter / Charger should be charging your house batteries when plugged into shore power or of the generator is running. Since your house batteries aren't charging under shore power or the generator, there could be an issue with it if all the above check out.

I'm also operating from the assumption that your batteries are not fried but if they are discharged, you should be seeing 14+ V when plugged into shore power or the generator is running when the Charger going into a Boost mode.
Old 05-03-2020, 07:15 PM   #5

THOR #11838
thanks for the replies!

It is getting pretty hot outside (95 and rising), and the RV is not in the shade But, I could not let this wait out of curiosity and RV-OCD .

I tracked down a bad connection of one of the smaller gauge wires on one of the batteries. Shut everything down, fixed it, reset everything, and viola!

Fixed charging problem.

Now I am letting batteries charge until tomorrow, then see if they still hold a charge and hopefully no damage.

Thanks!

NativeAz
Old 05-03-2020, 11:09 PM   #6

THOR #12751
Glad you got it figured out!