Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-22-2020, 12:03 AM   #1
Mag

Brand: Still Looking
Model: 5
State: Ontario
THOR #16132
Heavy clunking

I have a 2019 Axis 27.7 and at times, on uneven roads or sometimes leaving a parking lot back onto the main road there is a loud heavy clunking from under the front of the unit. Have checked things out but nothing seems loose. Thinking possibly when it's parked and the weight is even on both sides it may be hard to tell what it is. I'd like to figure it out. Anyone else have this issue?

Old 03-22-2020, 12:08 AM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
Just a swag, but maybe one of the mudflaps?
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 12:16 AM   #3
Mag

THOR #16132
No, much louder than a rubber mudflap. You also can feel it inside when you're driving. More like a shock that's lost the top nut and it freeballing along.
Old 03-22-2020, 12:22 AM   #4

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Sway bar bushings grabbing.
They're rubber and sometimes grab.
They grease easy enough.
Take the metal caps off, silicone grease the rubber, put the cap back on.
It looks scary but there's no tension on it and it'll sit right where it's at when you pull the cap/keeper.
Should be two bolts, maybe 10mm on each one.

It's an easy try and if I'm wrong, all you have is 10 minutes involved in putting grease where grease should have been all along.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 01:00 AM   #5
Mag

THOR #16132
Recently changed the stock bars for hellwigs, did it before the swap. Btw, like the ride much more with the larger bars.
Old 03-22-2020, 01:22 AM   #6

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mag View Post
Recently changed the stock bars for hellwigs, did it before the swap. Btw, like the ride much more with the larger bars.
Your story sounds much like ours on our F-53 22k GVW (SOB). We just changed out the front and rear sway bars for the Roadmaster versions which are HUGE in comparison.

So, driving on one of our California highways, double lane in each direction, we hit a "bump". We heard a few thumps from the area of the floor in front of the passenger seat but there were no handling issues. So, every now and then, when making slow turns on uneven areas we would hear the thumps, sounded more metallic rather than "clunks" that come from steering and suspension related parts.

Took the rig to our local service center and finally found that one of the brace welds in the mentioned area had broken from the hard hit. It was rewelded and the thumping noise is now gone. Oh yes, a piece of wheel well splash shield had to be removed to find the broken weld. Just offering as a possibility. Yes, our California roads leave much to be desired too.
Old 03-22-2020, 11:39 PM   #7
Mag

THOR #16132
Appreciate the replies. I'll have to check this out more closely once the weather allows. Too cool right now to be crawling around under the unit.
Old 03-23-2020, 12:23 AM   #8

State: Florida
THOR #1249
Had a thump on mine also. Found that one of the links for Helwig sway bar was broken. I have had them loosen up also and will get noisy. Locktite those bad boys and or use jam nuts.
Old 04-04-2020, 06:55 PM   #9

Model: ACE 30.1
State: South Dakota
THOR #4792
Ours (2015 ACE 30.1) was loose top end on front driver side shock. Make sure to take load off front end when checking. We got beat up on highway from N.Dak to S.Dak.
- Camping World Rapid City wouldn't look at it.
- Truck place Rapid City found nothing wrong.
- Camping World Council Bluffs, IA found the problem. Been fine since.
Good luck!
Old 04-04-2020, 08:39 PM   #10

THOR #16919
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mag View Post
I have a 2019 Axis 27.7 and at times, on uneven roads or sometimes leaving a parking lot back onto the main road there is a loud heavy clunking from under the front of the unit. Have checked things out but nothing seems loose. Thinking possibly when it's parked and the weight is even on both sides it may be hard to tell what it is. I'd like to figure it out. Anyone else have this issue?
Check all the grease fittings in the front suspension. Add grease at the zirc fittings at each location. We had the same problem and found that resolved it. We also found one of the dust boots that holds the grease in was cracked and wouldn’t hold grease. Ford repaired it under warranty.
Old 04-04-2020, 09:26 PM   #11
Mag

THOR #16132
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlands bob View Post
Ours (2015 ACE 30.1) was loose top end on front driver side shock. Make sure to take load off front end when checking. We got beat up on highway from N.Dak to S.Dak.
- Camping World Rapid City wouldn't look at it.
- Truck place Rapid City found nothing wrong.
- Camping World Council Bluffs, IA found the problem. Been fine since.
Good luck!
Badlands bob, what did you use to arise the front end to take the load off?
Old 04-04-2020, 09:40 PM   #12

Model: Hurricane 32N
State: Tennessee
THOR #18316
You may also want to look and see if the end of your sway bar is hitting the top of a leaf spring under the conditions you describe. Some people (me incl) who have performed the CHF have reported a similar noise and that is what was happening. I wouldn't think that would be an issue with yours unless the sway bar is not centered. You should see a witness mark if that's the problem.
Old 04-05-2020, 01:22 AM   #13

THOR #16214
Loose shocks. Or bad shock bushings make a terrible noise. Easy fix.
Old 04-05-2020, 01:42 AM   #14

THOR #16919
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilley Dilley View Post
Check all the grease fittings in the front suspension. Add grease at the zirc fittings at each location. We had the same problem and found that resolved it. We also found one of the dust boots that holds the grease in was cracked and wouldn’t hold grease. Ford repaired it under warranty.
I hope that helped. Adding grease to all the zircs and replacing the cracked boot on the draglink made all the difference on ours. The dust boot was toast when our 2017 was new. That’s a Ford chassis warranty issue. It’s anyone’s guess on when ours happened. Our Coach was built in December 2016 and the driven to Arizona where it sat on the lot in the heat until we bought it in August 2017. Depending on how often a Coach is driven I would check the lube on the joints at each oil change.
Old 04-05-2020, 04:26 AM   #15

Model: Axis 25.4
THOR #6582
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcr1010 View Post
Had a thump on mine also. Found that one of the links for Helwig sway bar was broken. I have had them loosen up also and will get noisy. Locktite those bad boys and or use jam nuts.
Ditto, but mine was the nut backed off, the shop bozo didn't use loctite. It is now.
Old 04-05-2020, 01:19 PM   #16

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
THOR #13362
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcr1010 View Post
When I added Helwig anti sway bars, I also added Moog End-Links (per a couple of Thor Forum threads that suggested as such).

The Moog End-Links were inexpensive ($30 each x 2) and are much more robust than the Ford OEM end-links.

edit: check that...$27.09 each

Amazon: Moog End-Links for E350/450
Old 04-18-2020, 08:11 PM   #17
Mag

THOR #16132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilley Dilley View Post
Dilley Dilley, I checked all the grease points and they were indeed the culprit. I had greased everything when I changed the oil in January but obviously not enough. I was trying not to put too in so it wouldn't come out of the boot but you just have to put it in till it does squirt out a bit I guess. No more clunking. Thanks
Old 04-18-2020, 08:20 PM   #18

THOR #16919
Awesome! Glad that checked out. Whenever I hear about symptoms like that, especially right under our feet I suspect front steering and suspension lube points. Stay safe