Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 10-04-2020, 04:00 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: North Carolina
THOR #15700
House batteries discharging .

I have an ACE 30.4. When plugged in to shore power my house batteries discharge and are not being recharged. When engine runs or generator runs the batteries are being charged. Has anyone experienced this?

Old 10-04-2020, 05:36 PM   #2

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
Do you have an Automatic Transfer Switch (ATS) and plug into 50A shore power? It could be that the ATS is only switching one leg of the 220V to the shore power supply and the converter/charger is on the other circuit so it isn't getting power. It works on the generator because in that case the ATS is switching both legs to the generator.

David
Old 10-04-2020, 05:40 PM   #3

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Hate to ask, but is the battery charger turned on and the LED visible?

If it is then check the voltage on the cables going to the batteries, it may have a problem

Does your generator have 12v as well as 120/240?

If it don't have 12v and your sure it is charging the batteries when running, again check the cables going from the charger to the battery bank and compare that with the voltage when on shore power
Old 10-04-2020, 05:52 PM   #4
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
And welcome to the Forum also!
Old 10-04-2020, 08:49 PM   #5

THOR #15700
House batteries

The ACE coach i have is only one year old. I've checked the main cables, everything is tight. Voltage at batteries when generator is running is 13.44 volts. When there is a full charge on batteries (no generator or shore power) voltage is 12.60 volts. When I connect shore power voltage at batteries is 12.60 volts. I'm thinking maybe the ATS is not switching both legs as was suggested. How do I identify the ATS? There are several components mounted near each other. One is identified as the converter.
Old 10-05-2020, 03:01 PM   #6

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rddownie View Post
The ACE coach i have is only one year old. I've checked the main cables, everything is tight. Voltage at batteries when generator is running is 13.44 volts. When there is a full charge on batteries (no generator or shore power) voltage is 12.60 volts. When I connect shore power voltage at batteries is 12.60 volts. I'm thinking maybe the ATS is not switching both legs as was suggested. How do I identify the ATS? There are several components mounted near each other. One is identified as the converter.
Follow your shore power cord. First device it terminates in will be your ATS

Then you will need to pull the cover and be careful if your electrical skills aren't well honed to check the voltage across the relay
Old 10-05-2020, 04:54 PM   #7

THOR #15700
Cool House batteries

Thank you iwmcguire I will follow your recommendation. I will let you know the results.
RDD