RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 05-28-2020, 03:24 AM   #41

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Louisiana
THOR #18361
I had the same thing happen, one time while driving in a heavy rain storm with the generator running it shut down because of rain getting in to the out side generator start switch and another time on a later date it would just start on its own, I found that oxide on the start contacts would slightly make, just enough resistance to start the engine and just enough for the stop signal , I cleaned them out with contact cleaner and I have never had any trouble after cleaning them

Old 05-28-2020, 05:31 AM   #42

State: Georgia
THOR #9957
Quote:
Originally Posted by eenie34@hotmail.com View Post
Yes I could somewhat understand the process though this is definitely not my forte. The service company wants to replace a wire in the generator to the tune oF four hours labor. They say my extended warranty will not cover wiring.
Been thinking through your messages. Remove negative cable from the house battery and this should stop it. But remember to connect it prior to leaving on camping trip.

Old 05-28-2020, 02:33 PM   #43

Model: Thor four winds SF 35
State: Texas
THOR #13025
I would call Thor and have your vin number handy. They can tell you if you have an abs and what to look for also b
Old 05-28-2020, 03:10 PM   #44

State: England
THOR #16471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glensouth View Post
I would call Thor and have your vin number handy. They can tell you if you have an abs and what to look for also b
ABS would be a Ford problem and I would not think it is connected to the generator system.
Now he has mentioned a couple of times (if you read the whole posting) that he was told his unit does not have an AGS switch, the latest here.
Old 05-28-2020, 09:35 PM   #45

State: Florida
THOR #6333
Remove a couple of screws around the disconnect switch. When the switch is exposed remove the wires from the back of the switch. Wrap with electrical tape. Use a multimeter in the continuity mode and touch leads to contacts on he back of switch. Toggle switch back and forth. If the needle jumps switch is good so the disconnect switch is working and not the problem.
Old 06-02-2020, 04:52 PM   #46

Model: Palazzo 33.2
State: Georgia
THOR #8078
I agree this sounds like the automatic generator start system is operating. If you can find the manual for your electrical monitoring system it should have a section on how to disable. I turned mine off and do fine without it. If I am not on shore power I periodically check my voltage reading and turn it on when I am approaching 12.0-12.1 volts. Works fine for me.
Old 06-03-2020, 05:54 PM   #47

THOR #18361
In the generator bay , all you need to do is just unplug the switch assembly and start it from the inside of the camper controls, that’s all I did and to find out witch set of switch’s I was having the problem, it will still work with ether one unplugged, because they are all normally open contacts
Old 06-03-2020, 08:42 PM   #48

THOR #18361
Witch generator set do you have? I have the Onan 4000 w , to add to my experience I found there are pin connecters that plug the start stop switch in to the Circuit on ether end and those pins corrode and ether loss or short out , but ether one of the stop start switch will do the same thing, all contacts on both switch’s are wired normally open, so if a switch is slightly made in m ohms it gives the start command or the stop switch is slightly made it gives the ecm to start or stop , in my 38 years of generator controls I found the problem is usually a switch exposed to the weather that gives problems,
Old 06-03-2020, 08:55 PM   #49

THOR #18361
I forgot, you will need to replace that switch in most cases, because it may not show up with a meter because of Traveling down the road ( shakeup) and atmosphere moisture, drying and moisture, on some units you can switch the switches around and putting the out side switch inside we’re it’s dry , may correct the problem

Tags
electrical systems