Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 02-21-2020, 08:47 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Connecticut
THOR #18154
House Batteries Not Charging

Hi,
I have found many posts about this, but I can't seem to find a direct answer. I've also seen many good questions asked in an attempt to answer, but it seems the original posters don't answer the questions clearly. So I'm going to try to ask my question and provide all of the information I feel relevant:

I have a 2010 Damon Outlaw 3611.
- When the engine is running, it will charge the chassis battery, but not the house batteries.
- When the RV generator is on, it will charge the house batteries. I am not 100% sure if it will charge the chassis battery, but I don't think it does to the best of my recollection.
- When the RV is plugged in, the A/C shore power current will charge the house batteries, but not the chassis battery.
- The boost switch to apply house battery boost to the chassis battery to start the engine does not work. It stopped working seemingly at the same time all of the charging issues started happening.
- When you hit the boost switch, there is a clicking noise from the engine compartment. I believe it is the BIRD solenoid clicking, but I'm not 100% sure.
- The use/store switch works properly, and I am sure it was in the "use" position when experiencing the no-charging issues detailed above.

I'd greatly appreciate some logical steps to follow to diagnose and repair the problem. Also, I was going to try to just change what I believe is the BIRD solenoid, but I could not find one online. Can anyone recommend where to find this solenoid if that might be the problem? Remember, it does click when the boost switch is pressed, so can a solenoid click and still not work properly?

Thanks in advance,
Jason

Old 02-21-2020, 12:18 PM   #2

Model: Mandalay
State: Florida
THOR #11268
sorry to hear of the problem you have. I had the same problem for 2 years with techs telling my coach wasn't wired to charge except from generator or shore power. One even said the fuse slot was empty but in reality, he was looking at the wrong slot.

One day I was working under the dash on a different issue when I turned on the ignition I looked at a fuse panel located there. I noticed a red led light next to a 5 amp fuse. Hmmm, that is usually a sign of a bad fuse. I replaced the fuse just because it was blown and my coach batteries now charge from the alternator. Such a simple fix that no one seemed like they could find it.

I suppose it could be something simple or more complex but look for the most simple first.
Old 02-21-2020, 12:47 PM   #3

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
The solenoid that is clicking is most likely bad

Contacts are burnt

Check in and voltage with your meter

Almost all the solenoid types are available on line

You need one that is 100% duty cycle

Post a photo and description and we will give you a link

You have the classic symptoms of a good coil and burnt contacts in the Trombetta relay or whatever brand solenoid you have
Old 02-21-2020, 02:22 PM   #4
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
I agree with lwmcguire above. I replaced my trombetta solenoid with this one from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072MZHK48
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 02:24 PM   #5

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
Don't know about your particular Outlaw -- but if you have a BIRD there are probably also isolation relays (Trombetta) under the hood as well. The BIRD/Trombetta is designed to sense the charging state of the house and the chassis batteries and the BIRD causes the isolation relays to open and close to charge both the house and chassis batteries.

Here is a diagram and explanation of how that combination works. It sounds like an isolation relay (Trombetta is not working). I've also attached a picture of where the Trombetta is under the hood of my 2015 Vegas. Yours should probably look just like that.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BIRD & Tramberra.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	116.8 KB
ID:	22657  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf BIRD & Trombetta.pdf (273.5 KB, 148 views)
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 02:32 PM   #6

Model: 37LS outlaw
State: New Jersey
THOR #5248
Same thing as above. The relay was bad on my rig. Clicked but no contact. Replaced it ...all is well.
Old 03-08-2020, 01:54 AM   #7

State: Utah
THOR #3257
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasoncg1 View Post
Hi,
I have found many posts about this, but I can't seem to find a direct answer. I've also seen many good questions asked in an attempt to answer, but it seems the original posters don't answer the questions clearly. So I'm going to try to ask my question and provide all of the information I feel relevant:

I have a 2010 Damon Outlaw 3611.
- When the engine is running, it will charge the chassis battery, but not the house batteries.
- When the RV generator is on, it will charge the house batteries. I am not 100% sure if it will charge the chassis battery, but I don't think it does to the best of my recollection.
- When the RV is plugged in, the A/C shore power current will charge the house batteries, but not the chassis battery.
- The boost switch to apply house battery boost to the chassis battery to start the engine does not work. It stopped working seemingly at the same time all of the charging issues started happening.
- When you hit the boost switch, there is a clicking noise from the engine compartment. I believe it is the BIRD solenoid clicking, but I'm not 100% sure.
- The use/store switch works properly, and I am sure it was in the "use" position when experiencing the no-charging issues detailed above.

I'd greatly appreciate some logical steps to follow to diagnose and repair the problem. Also, I was going to try to just change what I believe is the BIRD solenoid, but I could not find one online. Can anyone recommend where to find this solenoid if that might be the problem? Remember, it does click when the boost switch is pressed, so can a solenoid click and still not work properly?

Thanks in advance,
Jason
Running the engine will charge the house batteries but it basically does a top charge. You would have to drive for days for it to fully charge your battery. Shore power and generator will charge house batteries. We f you are dry camping the only easy to charge house batteries is generator or solar if installed.
Old 03-08-2020, 02:27 AM   #8

Model: Palazzo 33.2
State: Georgia
THOR #8078
I had identical symptoms with my Palazzo. I found my Trombetta relay in the storage area with my inverter. When the engine runs, after two minutes the relay (red 4" cylinder) clicks. However I measured voltage and the relay was not closing; there was no voltage increase going from the engine alternator feed across to the house battery side. I ordered an identical replacement online. Tough to get part out but once I did and made the switch, presto. Now 13.5 v flows from the engine to the house side, and vice versa with shore power to the chassis battery. Worth the work. Part was $45
Old 03-08-2020, 03:25 AM   #9
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellenov View Post
Running the engine will charge the house batteries but it basically does a top charge. You would have to drive for days for it to fully charge your battery. Shore power and generator will charge house batteries. We f you are dry camping the only easy to charge house batteries is generator or solar if installed.
Days? I don't think so Tim. Try hours.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 12:45 PM   #10

Model: Daybreak 32HD
THOR #13677
I had the same problems, in a 2013 Daybreak. I have a BCC, (battery control center), it was wired incorrectly. One of the jumper wires was on the coach side if the relay, and should have been on the house side.
See post- BCC wired incorrectly

Good luck
Old 03-10-2020, 08:48 PM   #11

Model: Aria 4000
State: Texas
THOR #13402
One Question! Do you have your inverter on when most of these problems occur?

Tags
bird, charging, chassis, house, solenoid