Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-21-2023, 06:44 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Freedom Elite 30FE
State: Michigan
THOR #29004
House battery dies...

We bought a used 2018 Freedome Elite 30FE back in January. On our first trip we noticed that while driving the house battery would tend to die after 3-5 hours. When this happens the only thing running on that house battery is the radio head unit in the dash.

Am I correct in assuming that the battery should be getting charged from the alternator? If it should, any suggestions on where to start debugging the issue?

Also is it factory that the power for the radio in the dash is powered from the house battery instead of the chassis battery?

Old 04-21-2023, 07:15 PM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdelzer View Post
We bought a used 2018 Freedome Elite 30FE back in January. On our first trip we noticed that while driving the house battery would tend to die after 3-5 hours. When this happens the only thing running on that house battery is the radio head unit in the dash.

Am I correct in assuming that the battery should be getting charged from the alternator? If it should, any suggestions on where to start debugging the issue?

Also is it factory that the power for the radio in the dash is powered from the house battery instead of the chassis battery?
5 possibly 6 year old coach, test the battery first.

Yes the radio is wired to the house batteries on most rigs.
Old 04-21-2023, 07:18 PM   #3

Model: Windsport 34F
State: Alberta
THOR #22490
If you have an use/store switch, otherwise known as main power or salesman switch, then that needs to be in the use or on position for the house batteries to charge from the alternator.

Try that first, if it’s set correctly then investigations and suggestions can start from there.

The radio supply will be from the house batteries, with a second supply from the chassis battery for the clock and memory functions.

2015 Thor Windsport 34F = empty pockets
2010 Kia Soul
REME veteran
Trophy1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2023, 07:19 PM   #4

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:

Chassis batteries in a Class A or C gas motor home last 4 to 6 years due to their lack of maintenance during their time as a stripped or cab chassis. My Motorcraft lasted 3 years. Walmart supplied a AC Delco AGM group 65 replacement that is still working well.

Turn off your use/store (master power) and both radios will not work unless the charger is supplying power.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2023, 07:26 PM   #5

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
My chassis battery lasted about 5 years from chassis DOM. The house batteries and the associated mess from dealing with FLA batteries was less than that. Check the batteries first, then your alternator, then the bird.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2023, 07:35 PM   #6
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
OP’s question concern house batteries and not chassis battery.
Old 04-21-2023, 08:49 PM   #7

Brand: Still Looking
Model: SOB
State: Florida
THOR #27719
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trophy1200 View Post
If you have an use/store switch, otherwise known as main power or salesman switch, then that needs to be in the use or on position for the house batteries to charge from the alternator.

Try that first, if it’s set correctly then investigations and suggestions can start from there.

The radio supply will be from the house batteries, with a second supply from the chassis battery for the clock and memory functions.
Incorrectamundo! The cross-connect is on the battery side of the battery disconnect latching relay. The house batteries charge from the alternator independent of the position of the USE/STORE switch, which had to be in USE for the radio to work.
Old 04-22-2023, 01:47 AM   #8

Model: Windsport 32N
State: Arizona
THOR #23246
Yes, the coach battery should be getting charged by the alternator and it makes no difference if you are in Store or Use. Compare voltage at the chassis battery and also at the coach batteries when the engine has been running for a minute or so. It should be very close and maybe 13 volts or higher. It not, then the most likely thing is a bad inter-connect solenoid. If you are lucky, yours will be found in the open in the battery compartment. If you are unlucky, it will be in a box stuffed in a nearly inaccessible location. It also may not be a regular solenoid, but a unit shaped like a steak or kidney. Again, battery box area.

They are, if accessible, very simple to replace. You can buy a new regular one on Amazon most likely, or Ebay. Avoid the China junk and get a White Rodgers/Emerson or Cole Hersee replacement. The most common type, I learned recently, is a 80 amp unit. They have it at zoro.com for about 30 bucks or Amazon for 45.
Old 04-22-2023, 02:21 AM   #9

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
First, yes - motorhome radios are usually wired to the house side so you have power to the radio without the motorhome engine running.

To put it bluntly, motorhome batteries are abused in the worst way while sitting on dealer lots. Until pre-installed solar panels became a thing, house batteries were frequently completely discharged... dead... many times.

The house battery in your coach probably had much of it's useful life sapped by abuse before it was sold new. In other words... D.O.A.

I have no idea what your knowledge of batteries is... you may well understand how to test and evaluate your battery. If so, ignore the following.

Next steps? What type battery do you have? Is it a sealed battery? Does it have caps you can remove to add water?

If it's NOT a sealed battery, buy a cheap flooded lead acid battery hydrometer... about $8 -$10 on Amazon. Follow the instructions to test for individual dead cells. If any cells are toast, you'll need a new battery.

If it's a sealed battery, it can be load tested. Remember you're dealing with a deep cycle (probably marine) battery... NOT a chassis starting battery - which tout cold cranking amps.

In which case Google is your friend.
Old 04-22-2023, 09:55 PM   #10

Model: Freedom Elite 30FE
State: Michigan
THOR #29004
I haven’t read through all the replies yet. I’ll review and look over the rig tomorrow. One thing I did notice is it looks like someone put in a new house battery right before I bought it. Not only does it look WAY smaller than I think it should, but there is no hold down, it’s just sitting on the tray.
Old 04-23-2023, 12:36 AM   #11

Model: 37LS outlaw
State: New Jersey
THOR #5248
I believe you are asking if the house batteries should charge during traveling.

Yes.

If like my old 2018 outlaw, there is a timed delay circuit wired to a trombella relay under your hood. Those relays go bad. To test it operate the emergency start button . You should hear it click.
If it does then run the engine and it should click again in about ten seconds.
If that works then check that you have the same charging voltage on both house and chassis batteries.

If not then the contacts in the relay went bad. Replace it.
Old 04-23-2023, 12:40 AM   #12

Model: 37LS outlaw
State: New Jersey
THOR #5248
Here’s a old link that might help.
https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f8...tml#post194812
Old 04-23-2023, 01:05 PM   #13

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Quote:

What is running off the house battery when you’re driving? And what diagnostics have you done, while driving, to determine the battery only last 3 - 5 hours? Does someone try the lights?