Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 09-12-2015, 11:02 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: California
THOR #2857
House battery issue

We need help! We have a 2015 Thor Tuscany and just picked it up from storage. The house batteries were dead and two were not chargeable, so we purchased two new ones and charged the two existing. When hooked back up the coach does not seem to recognize that the batteries even exist! It assumes that they are dead, in addition the coach is currently plugged into a 110 outlet and nothing inside even lights up! Anything?

Old 09-12-2015, 11:28 PM   #2

Model: A.C.E. 27.1
State: Texas
THOR #2240
Hi,
Sorry but I'm not familiar with your MH type but I and other have a breaker inside the battery compartment that allow me to isolate the batteries. Could you check for such a thing in yours? And of course all your normal electrical panels and breakers etc.
Old 09-13-2015, 02:23 AM   #3

Model: Palazzo
State: Florida
THOR #2248
And, many Thor and other RVs have a switch usually just inside the entry door that cuts all 12 vdc power to the interior. I have several times forgot about it and had to jump thru all the hoops until I remembered it or somebody reminded me.
Check for that switch and make sure it is on!
Old 09-13-2015, 02:42 AM   #4

Model: Aria 3901
State: New Mexico
THOR #2538
If any of the above doesn't work, make sure the 100/50 amp breaker isn't tripped.
Old 09-13-2015, 04:44 PM   #5

Model: Tuscany RX
State: Alberta
THOR #1112
I have a 2014 Thor Tuscany. Inside the entry door to the left may be a switch that powers all of your lights.
Old 09-13-2015, 07:31 PM   #6

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
THOR #1765
See thread "Vegas 12V Problem" under Maintenance and Repair dated 3-29-2015. This might be your problem, but in my case, when I plugged into shore power the lights in the coach did work?
Old 09-25-2015, 03:32 AM   #7

THOR #2857
Thanks for the help. Apparently the batteries the coach comes with are not exactly the highest quality (putting it nicely). Although showing fully charged they did not have enough juice to open the solenoid to get to the inverter. Another question would be: Is it normal that if the house batteries are dead that even plugged in the coach does not work??? Does the 110 power only charge the batteries?
Old 09-25-2015, 11:24 AM   #8
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by bacall2 View Post
...Another question would be: Is it normal that if the house batteries are dead that even plugged in the coach does not work??? Does the 110 power only charge the batteries?
Generally speaking No.

The coach, at least certain aspects, should still function if the batteries are dead. Prime examples are coach AC and residential refrigerators.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 11:51 AM   #9

Model: Travato
THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post
Generally speaking No.

The coach, at least certain aspects, should still function if the batteries are dead. Prime examples are coach AC and residential refrigerators.
That is true, but in the Vegas, almost everything runs off of 12v except for the A/C and the microwave. So while those two will work, I am not sure that everything else would. When I had the feared "red switch" popped accidentally disconnecting the house batteries the only things that worked were a few interior lights. I did not have the refrigerator on at the time,
so I am not sure if that would run or not. With the batteries completely dead, maybe not.
You are right in the quality of the batteries. Even the amp hours is not true. I replaced mine before my trip this summer and what a difference.
Old 09-26-2015, 01:25 AM   #10

Model: Axis 25.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #1503
When you say "nothing" does that include the microwave display? If so, then no shore power is getting to your power center.

If you have power to the microwave but no 12v lights in the coach then it could be a converter/charger problem.

Bruce

Quote:
.....in addition the coach is currently plugged into a 110 outlet and nothing inside even lights up! Anything?
Old 09-26-2015, 01:39 AM   #11

Model: Hurricane 27K
State: Nevada
THOR #970
The coach batteries are likely dead, take the to Wal-Mart and have them tested. If Harris batteries they won't warranty them, they claim Thor has substandard charging system and dealers don't take care of batteries, I say they have a bad run of batteries and are fk everyone. I solved my battery problem buy getting new ones at Wal-Mart, my RV came with one and I went to two for more back up.
Old 09-30-2015, 02:37 PM   #12

THOR #2857
Absolutely nothing works inside the coach with the house batteries dead, even while plugged into 110. We replaced all four batteries and everything works fine now. It is still really disconcerting that the 110 does not over ride the dead batteries! Not one person at our dealership can explain the hierarchy of power in the coach.
Old 09-30-2015, 02:56 PM   #13
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Absolutely nothing works inside the coach with the house batteries dead, even while plugged into 110. We replaced all four batteries and everything works fine now. It is still really disconcerting that the 110 does not over ride the dead batteries! Not one person at our dealership can explain the hierarchy of power in the coach.
If that dealer claims to have certified RV Service Technicians or Master Service Technicians on staff I would do two things. First ask the service manger where the technician received their "Fly by night" certification and then run, not walk, to another service center. One additional thing I would do is post a review on rvservicereviews.com stating that the service department is not capable of explaining the basic electrical system on your coach.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 03:03 PM   #14

THOR #2857
I couldnt agree more. They have had the coach parked in their service center longer than we have since purchasing it earlier this year.
Old 09-30-2015, 05:02 PM   #15

Model: Hurricane 27K
State: Nevada
THOR #970
My batteries were weak, not dead. I would have thought plugging in would solve that, but thinking about it the converter/charger uses the batteries to supply to 12v inside the coach I guess. Seems it is basically a charger and your batteries must have been REALLY DEAD! I assume your 110v outlets worked?? If not call Thor directly and find out why. 877-855-2867. I have found the technical support people somewhat helpful, more so then the dealer who has serviced it.
Note to new buyers: Demand new batteries as part of your deal
Old 09-30-2015, 09:11 PM   #16

Model: Chateau 35SK
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2366
Picked up a new coach and the batteries were dead(3.0 volts) and dry. At first, I thought it was due to dealer neglect on the lot. Turns out the converter is also bad. I checked both fuses on the converter and they are good. I am getting 0 volts on the output and the new batteries were 12,75 volts, they are now 12.3 even though unit is plugged in. New converter on order.

Fred
Old 06-26-2016, 09:53 AM   #17

State: Hawaii
THOR #3304
Smile

great
Old 07-04-2016, 06:06 PM   #18

THOR #2706
2011 28Z, coach battery not getting charge.

The WF-8955 control panel on my 2011 Thor/Fourwinds Chateau 28Z puts out 13.85 at the panel, but the coach battery leads when disconnected show about 5 volts. The connect switch at the doorway works fine as long as I put a separate "BatteryMinder charge" on the battery (which is new). Also the "Isolator Relay box" under the hood (drivers side) chatters when the battery connect switch is off. I checked two 7.5 amp fuses by the isolator and the bottom one was open. I replaced the fuse, but still just about 5 volts on the coach battery leads. The positive battery lead goes to a connecting post with 3 heavy gauge and 1 medium gauge red wires connected together. Unfortunately I can't squeeze any further under the chassis to see where they go. Is a wiring diagram available anywhere for the coach battery and panel charging system?
Old 07-04-2016, 06:19 PM   #19

Model: Axis 24.1
THOR #4366
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelheck View Post
The WF-8955 control panel on my 2011 Thor/Fourwinds Chateau 28Z puts out 13.85 at the panel, but the coach battery leads when disconnected show about 5 volts. The connect switch at the doorway works fine as long as I put a separate "BatteryMinder charge" on the battery (which is new). Also the "Isolator Relay box" under the hood (drivers side) chatters when the battery connect switch is off. I checked two 7.5 amp fuses by the isolator and the bottom one was open. I replaced the fuse, but still just about 5 volts on the coach battery leads. The positive battery lead goes to a connecting post with 3 heavy gauge and 1 medium gauge red wires connected together. Unfortunately I can't squeeze any further under the chassis to see where they go. Is a wiring diagram available anywhere for the coach battery and panel charging system?
Email Thor with your vin number, explain the problem and they might email you back a drawing in pdf format.
Old 07-04-2016, 06:50 PM   #20

THOR #2706
It's worth a try. I'll look up their email address. BTW after replacing the 7.5 fuse, under the hood, the alternator now provides a charge to the coach battery with the engine running. One fuse for emergency start and the other to the ignition to connect while the engine is running. Now if I just knew where the solenoid/relay is for the wire coming from the WF-8955 control panel, I might be able to solve this issue.