Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 02-11-2019, 06:05 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.5
State: Oklahoma
THOR #14018
Dead Coach Battery and No help from Emerg Start?

Have been doing odds and ends for the last couple days on new 2018 Vegas. Have had External 30A plugged in all the time. Went to start engine and battery is dead. Tried to use Emerg Start assist as advertised and no help. Coach batteries appear to be charged. Got any suggestions on what is happening?

Old 02-11-2019, 06:38 PM   #2

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Hold the emergency start in for about five minutes and then try to start the engine while the holding emergency start switch in. It works just like you were getting a boost for you car from another car. Most start the generator and let it run while using the emergency start.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 12:32 PM   #3

Model: Freedom Elite 29fe
State: Florida
THOR #4656
If you are plugged in you can use a battery maintainer from an indoor outlet to a 12v receptacle on the dash to keep chassis battery charged. As to the emergency start, if you didn't hear a click when you pushed the button, I would suspect the solenoid.

2017 Freedom Elite 29fe
2015 Jeep Wrangler Toad
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 03:48 PM   #4

THOR #13370
I seem to be having the same problem as tdpinokc regarding the chassis battery going dead in a couple of weeks even though plugged in to outside power and USE switch in use position. Everything else seems ok but I would think the chassis battery should be being trickle charged by the external power. I am trying an external trickle charger for now and will check in a few days to see if
it is keeping up or not. House batteries are fine like tdpinokc's but the chassis
battery is going dead. It is new and I fully charged it prior to putting it in. The
2015 Thor Axis 25.1N is kept inside a heated/ A/C garage. Haven't found the 12v/120v inverter yet on this thing. Thanks for any suggestions!
Old 02-12-2019, 04:00 PM   #5

THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by flipper003 View Post
The 2015 Thor Axis 25.1N is kept inside a heated/ A/C garage. Haven't found the 12v/120v inverter yet on this thing. Thanks for any suggestions!
Only coaches with an external kitchen or residential refrigerator have an inverter installed at the factory. Many have installed an after marker inverter.
Old 02-12-2019, 04:01 PM   #6

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Massachusetts
THOR #6999
Send a message via Skype™ to sage
Unless you or a previous owner installed an Inverter, there isn’t one. Not standard equipment on the Axis/Vegas coaches.
Old 02-12-2019, 04:23 PM   #7

THOR #13370
Aha! That may be why I can't find one. I recently bought this slightly used (7,700 miles) and it had the steering stabilizer and rear air bags added but wasn't
sure about the inverter. Shouldn't it be maintaining a charge on the chassis battery when plugged into shore power (it seems to be on the house batteries) without the inverter?
The wiring looks very clean and everything else seems to be working so it seems
like something is draining the battery, although everything I know of is off.
Old 02-12-2019, 05:06 PM   #8

THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by flipper003 View Post
Aha! That may be why I can't find one. I recently bought this slightly used (7,700 miles) and it had the steering stabilizer and rear air bags added but wasn't
sure about the inverter. Shouldn't it be maintaining a charge on the chassis battery when plugged into shore power (it seems to be on the house batteries) without the inverter?
The wiring looks very clean and everything else seems to be working so it seems
like something is draining the battery, although everything I know of is off.
Yes it the coach's charger should also charge the chassis battery. Usually there is a bidirectional relay that preforms that function, It is the same relay that you engage when you select the emergency start switch. You can search this forum for "BIRD" and find several whays to trouble shout the charging system
Old 02-12-2019, 06:15 PM   #9

Model: Freedom Elite 29fe
THOR #4656
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
Yes it the coach's charger should also charge the chassis battery.
Not so on the Ford E series chassis.

Many things can drain the battery. If storing it without shore power, remove neg. cable from chassis battery.

2017 Freedom Elite 29fe
2015 Jeep Wrangler Toad
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 06:25 PM   #10

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Nosticks comment is what I was also led to believe. We have not driven our 2016 Axis for around a month and a half now. I normally keep a trickle charger on the chassis battery but neglected this approach. Went to start it yesterday and the battery was completely dead. Tried the emergency start and nothing happened. I have since put a charge on the battery and the engine started. My understanding from my RV service center is that the chassis battery is completely separate from the coach batteries/shore power, etc. I will make a point of keeping the trickle charger on the chassis battery in the future. I also have one of those solar panel trickle chargers specifically for the battery but it does me no good in the storage compartment.
Old 02-12-2019, 11:27 PM   #11

Model: Axis 24.1
THOR #4366
On ours, the B.I.R.D. was wired wrong so when the chassis battery was dead you couldn't use the emergency start. After rewiring it now works correctly and no more dead chassis battery.
Wrangler JK dinghy
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 12:27 AM   #12

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
We have used the emergency start during our first year with it and it did work. If the battery is as dead as I guess mine was the other day, it still didn't work.
Old 02-13-2019, 03:37 PM   #13

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
If your boost switch is wired correctly and working, should you have a dead chassis battery you will need to hold it 45 seconds or longer, 5 seconds probably wont be enough

Sure a lot of threads recently with this type issue
Old 02-13-2019, 04:04 PM   #14

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
about the whole timing thing...

keep in mind that pressing the switch is exactly like connecting jumper cables...except through smaller wires.

so just like with jumper cables....if the battery is not so dead, just a little low..then it'll crank off the jump battery as soon as the cables make contact.

If on the other hand the battery basically dead, then it will take a few minutes for a little bit of charge to build in the dead battery

and if it is deader than a doornail, then the dead circuit might be shorted and it'll basically never work
Old 02-13-2019, 04:17 PM   #15

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Virginia
THOR #7607
And you must press and hold the emergency button down during the cranking process.
Old 02-14-2019, 05:25 PM   #16

Model: ACE 30.1
THOR #13460
Had the same problem in my 2016 ACE 30.1. Chassis battery dead, emg switch no help. RV tech said chassis battery doesn't charge from converter. He found a blown 15a fuse in the wire to trip the emg solenoid. Replaced it and now relay engages when emg switch is pushed. We also installed a knife switch on neg battery post to disconnect battery when coach is not being driven.
Old 02-14-2019, 05:30 PM   #17
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I agree with the "knife switch" idea...

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1550165433
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Battery Disconnect Switch.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	15676  
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 07:46 PM   #18

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
I agree with the "knife switch" idea...

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1550165433

Is there a reason for preferring a knife switch over the knob style disconnect? Seems like the latter is more compact and, by taking the knob off could even be helpful in theft deterrence if you use them on the chassis battery and the house pack.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1873.JPG
Views:	292
Size:	22.3 KB
ID:	15681
Old 02-14-2019, 09:53 PM   #19

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
Is there a reason for preferring a knife switch over the knob style disconnect? Seems like the latter is more compact and, by taking the knob off could even be helpful in theft deterrence if you use them on the chassis battery and the house pack.Attachment 15681
I went with the GAMA as you have pictured...made in the USA!
Some folks claim that they are less reliable. I think it's probably just because you can't easily SEE that it is disconnected. I've been using one on each battery for 5 years now...so far so good
I like the look of them better...Don't care for all that un-insulated energized copper banging around in there
Old 02-14-2019, 11:05 PM   #20
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I sort of liked the one I chose because of it's simplicity...
But I guess that as long as one that you choose is working as planned: it's an equally good choice!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote