Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 12-03-2023, 06:38 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE
State: Virginia
THOR #19875
House battery replacement

The more I read, the more confused I get. Need to replace house batteries in 2018 ACE 29.4. Would appreciate some recommendations from satisfied buyers with similar usage. My rig on shore power at home, and rarely dry camp. I知 not tight with dollars, but not flush with cash either. Assume I知 in for around $600. Looking at a SLI31DTMAGMDC Duracell Ultra BCI Group 31M 12V 105AH 800CCA AGM Deep Cycle Marine & RV Battery from batteries Plus. Would love recommendations for alternatives from satisfied campers.

And yes, I know there are thousands of postings regarding batteries. So no need to tell me I知 an idiot and wasting time. I admit it.

Old 12-03-2023, 07:16 PM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
What batteries you get depend on your preferences.

You can get OEM replacements (Marine/RV "Deep Cycle" Flooded Lead Acid (FLA)) batteries are usually the cheapest path but they have the maintenance of checking/adding water periodically. They can be purchased in 12 Volt format for parallel installation (Your OEM configuration) or 6 Volt format for series installation.

If you don't want the hassle of water-checking maintenance then AGM (Absorbed Glass Mat) deep cycle batteries would be an easy one for one swap without having to worry about any other "hardware" changes. Your Duracells fall into this category EXCEPT they are not true deep cycle batteries, Anything with a CCA rating is a starting capable battery so not true deep cycle. The VMAX Tanks are a better choice and pretty popular.
https://www.amazon.com/Vmaxtanks-Vma...dp/B00ACNO2AO/

Finally, for those who boondock and want as much capacity as well fit, The LiFePO4 batteries would be the solution. No water maintenance, lighter, and more power dense than the above choices; BUT - usually require and upgrade to your converter/charger and maybe house/chassis battery banks combiner/disconnect.

So with the information you provided the AGMs may be what you are looking for. Many brands available - including from online. Get the same physical form factor (Group 31), label all cables and take pictures BEFORE removing the old ones. Also disconnect from SP and open your battery disconnect. Disconnect the ground cables first and connect them last.

BTW, did you replace your house batteries after your last "toast" thread in March 2022? If so, that's a short lifetime. Otherwise, same advice.

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f8...sed-30286.html
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2023, 08:28 PM   #3

Model: ACE
THOR #19875
Thanks. I looked at the VMAX Tanks, but was looking for brick and mortar sources so I could return cores, which I’ve already removed. Appreciate your advice.
Old 12-03-2023, 08:49 PM   #4

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
I prefer FLA deep cycle at either Costco or Sams
I check water abt once a year
I generally replace once every 3-4yrs

Cost to replace is is about $200 for the two.
Old 12-03-2023, 08:55 PM   #5
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmgsteve View Post
Thanks. I looked at the VMAX Tanks, but was looking for brick and mortar sources so I could return cores, which I’ve already removed. Appreciate your advice.
Recycle them at your local junk yard. Cores aren't needed for online purchases.

Most B&M locations only sell combination deep cycle RV/Marine batteries, not true deep cycle.

But feel free to check out:

Walmart
Costco
Sam's Club
BJ Wholesale
NAPA
Advanced Auto Parts
Discount Auto Parts
Home Depot
Lowes
Batterisa & Bulbs
Old 12-03-2023, 09:09 PM   #6

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
The more I read, the more confused I get. Need to replace house batteries in 2018 ACE 29.4. Would appreciate some recommendations from satisfied buyers with similar usage. My rig on shore power at home, and rarely dry camp. I’m not tight with dollars, but not flush with cash either. Assume I’m in for around $600. Looking at a SLI31DTMAGMDC Duracell Ultra BCI Group 31M 12V 105AH 800CCA AGM Deep Cycle Marine & RV Battery from batteries Plus. Would love recommendations for alternatives from satisfied campers.

And yes, I know there are thousands of postings regarding batteries. So no need to tell me I’m an idiot and wasting time. I admit it.
Your plight has many parallels to mine a few years ago.

I was content to buy the Duracell Group 31s from a Sam's, I had two in the cart but Sam's wanted my core batteries, that I didn't have. I was not a fan of going back, taking them out, and then returning to the store.

That same afternoon, I saw the V max tanks on sale at Amazon. Called V max tanks directly to ask lots of question; bought two on the same call. They did not have a core charge, no shipping, and no tax for me. I got both for $500. But what I really liked was the 125ah each battery versus the 105ah.

With that said, I can certainly say my experience has been great, battery capacity is non issue for us now for almost 3 years. Now what I can't speak to is longevity. If they crap out in the next 18 months or so, I will be the 1st say they don't last long. But right now they are the best AGM batteries to buy IMO.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 02:12 PM   #7

Model: Vegas 24.1
THOR #5313
My usage parallels yours. 2016 Vegas, tow race teailsr with generator on trailer to power both RV and charger/compressor for racecar. Rarely not plugged in at house or track. Only depended on house batteries in cool weather to run heat overnight at track.

OEM batteries needed water level checked quarterly with very minor addition. Swapped them out in 2022 to use in boat. They still working. Used Walmart batteries to replace, zero issues. Cost effective and simple as not a primary use item.
Old 12-04-2023, 02:37 PM   #8

Model: ACE 30.3
State: Iowa
THOR #28145
Quote:
OEM batteries needed water level checked quarterly with very minor addition.
The house batteries in my ACE are located in a compartment next to the entry steps. It is impossible to see down into the battery cells to check the water level and nearly impossible to get water into the cells. The only way I can see to service the water level is to pull the batteries completely out of the compartment. To avoid this has anyone built a slide out tray that would allow the batteries to be serviced without having to unhook everything? Does anyone have any better ways to service flooded batteries besides getting AGM batteries? When My current Batteries die I will be searching for AGMs.

Former 1996 28' Tiffin Allegro owner
Dan-sr@perra-us.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 04:03 PM   #9
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-sr@perra-us.net View Post
The house batteries in my ACE are located in a compartment next to the entry steps. It is impossible to see down into the battery cells to check the water level and nearly impossible to get water into the cells. The only way I can see to service the water level is to pull the batteries completely out of the compartment. To avoid this has anyone built a slide out tray that would allow the batteries to be serviced without having to unhook everything? Does anyone have any better ways to service flooded batteries besides getting AGM batteries? When My current Batteries die I will be searching for AGMs.
When I had FLA batteries in my ACE I rearranged the cables so none blocked the cell covers. I used a mirror and flashlight to check levels. I used a quart water bottle with a small diameter clear tube attached as a flexible "straw" to add water as needed.

Others will tell you to just get an automatic watering system and be done with it.
Old 12-04-2023, 04:11 PM   #10

Model: Vegas 24.1
THOR #5313
Is not easy with cables and stuff. Both my RVs have had 2 under steps. I use a plastic lever to pry caps off and an electric taped mirror to see in edge cells. For adding water, I use old plastic horse injector with piece of vac hose. They never take much water, less than 1/2 little water bottle. I put reminder in phone to check quarterly.

Is a general PITA, but for my application it works.

As long as water use between cells equal seems like batts fine. I will do a test of capacity periodically by measuring how long TV runs off inverter before lose a light on battery indicator. I do not depend on batts much but like to always have plan "B" .
Old 12-04-2023, 11:42 PM   #11

Model: Hurricane 31S
THOR #6411
Quote:
The more I read, the more confused I get. Need to replace house batteries in 2018 ACE 29.4. Would appreciate some recommendations from satisfied buyers with similar usage. My rig on shore power at home, and rarely dry camp. I知 not tight with dollars, but not flush with cash either. Assume I知 in for around $600. Looking at a SLI31DTMAGMDC Duracell Ultra BCI Group 31M 12V 105AH 800CCA AGM Deep Cycle Marine & RV Battery from batteries Plus. Would love recommendations for alternatives from satisfied campers.

And yes, I know there are thousands of postings regarding batteries. So no need to tell me I知 an idiot and wasting time. I admit it.
I have had two Walmart EverStart Maxx Marine Battery, Group Size 29DC 12 Volt, 845 CCA. I have had then for 4 years and so far, so good. They have calcium alloy lead paste, so under normal conditions, they never need watering. Be aware the are 13.13" long., so they man not fit in your coach.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2023, 01:01 AM   #12

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
I have had two Walmart EverStart Maxx Marine Battery, Group Size 29DC 12 Volt, 845 CCA. I have had then for 4 years and so far, so good. They have calcium alloy lead paste, so under normal conditions, they never need watering. Be aware the are 13.13" long., so they man not fit in your coach.
I am big fan of Wal Mart batteries especially for Chassis. I may have had over worry but on my House; I was trying to get the max amount of amp hours in the same space for two Group 31.

Question: How long would you think a a well used pair of House Batteries will last? ( assume AGM so water or maintenance is not a factor and assume the owner took proper care of the batteries and never let them discharge.

My plan is as soon as my 5 year old NAPA FLA dies or start acting funny is to buy the Wal Mart Platinum AGM to replace. https://www.walmart.com/ip/EverStart...0-CCA/40647529
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 12-05-2023, 01:52 PM   #13

Model: Hurricane 34R
State: Indiana
THOR #19887
Quote:

I'm happy with VMax tanks
RACarvalho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2023, 07:09 PM   #14

THOR #18622
My rv has interstate my boat has Walmart both las about the same 4 years
Old 12-09-2023, 07:47 PM   #15

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgeace29.3 View Post
My rv has interstate my boat has Walmart both las about the same 4 years
I have two Interstate FLA in my boat and it has been 5 years and not only have I had no issues, they both look brand new. It is helpful that both came with disconnect switch so when boat is not used the battery just sits.

Not sure when I replace, maybe year 6? When I do, if the exact same replacement is available at a very good price, I will buy the same; otherwise I plan to shop around for AGMs with very good price. Likely a Wal Mart flavor.
Old 12-09-2023, 07:48 PM   #16

State: Michigan
THOR #19346
O'rreilly superstart agm $250 each and they have a 175 minute reserve. i bought two for the house batteries and two for my boat this year. i stayed with group 27m batteries to stay with the same cable lengths
Old 12-09-2023, 08:10 PM   #17

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johng View Post
O'rreilly superstart agm $250 each and they have a 175 minute reserve. i bought two for the house batteries and two for my boat this year. i stayed with group 27m batteries to stay with the same cable lengths

This battery for $179 https://www.walmart.com/ip/seort/40647529 is where I start for chassis/engine or boat. If I see a better priced AGM I will buy it. If I had AH capacity concerns for the boat's house battery ( I don't); I would get the 125AHs v Max tank
Old 12-09-2023, 10:18 PM   #18

Model: Hurricane 34R
State: Tennessee
THOR #30859
I also had similarly issues in my 2019 Thor Hurricane 34R. I purchased the VMAX Tanks (on Line) for mine and have had no issues since. My Hurricane also had the Solar Controller pre installed so I also added 2 150 watt solar panels.
I no longer stay plugged into shore power and the panels keep the House Batteries full. I am really pleased with my choice of batteries.

Tags
house batteries