Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-02-2022, 09:33 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Utah
THOR #17308
House thermostat not responding

Hi. I have a 2016 Thor axis 24.1. After some heavy rain and wind, I heard a rapid clicking sound in the area around the furnace. AC was running at the time. I turned it off with the thermostat and ran the furnace fan and the clicking stopped. When the fan stopped the clicking started again. I removed furnace cover and there was quite a bit of water inside. I removed the water and dried any contacts I could reach and the clicking stopped. However, when I tried to start the AC back up there was no response from thermostat. I was also unable to start furnace. Power is on elsewhere, along with house batteries. Not a click from the slidebar in either location, AC, heat, and no fan. Thermostat seems dead for some reason. Checked house fuse box, all were fine, though none were marked as thermostat. There are no batteries in it. ANY THOUGHTS? Is the even a house thermostat fuse, and if so is it located somewhere else? Fuse on AC and furnace is fine, seems to just be a thermostat issue to me.

Thanks fellow travelers!!

Dan

Old 06-02-2022, 10:43 PM   #2

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherbear View Post
Hi. I have a 2016 Thor axis 24.1. After some heavy rain and wind, I heard a rapid clicking sound in the area around the furnace. AC was running at the time. I turned it off with the thermostat and ran the furnace fan and the clicking stopped. When the fan stopped the clicking started again. I removed furnace cover and there was quite a bit of water inside. I removed the water and dried any contacts I could reach and the clicking stopped. However, when I tried to start the AC back up there was no response from thermostat. I was also unable to start furnace. Power is on elsewhere, along with house batteries. Not a click from the slidebar in either location, AC, heat, and no fan. Thermostat seems dead for some reason. Checked house fuse box, all were fine, though none were marked as thermostat. There are no batteries in it. ANY THOUGHTS? Is the even a house thermostat fuse, and if so is it located somewhere else? Fuse on AC and furnace is fine, seems to just be a thermostat issue to me.

Thanks fellow travelers!!

Dan
Your thermostat is powered by 12 volt power coming from the propane furnace. If the furnace has a problem the thermostat has no power and the roof A/C won't work. When the furnace circuit board gets wet with power on it usually needs to be replaced.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 11:39 PM   #3

THOR #17308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
Your thermostat is powered by 12 volt power coming from the propane furnace. If the furnace has a problem the thermostat has no power and the roof A/C won't work. When the furnace circuit board gets wet with power on it usually needs to be replaced.
Ok…thanks a million! Seems a bit odd to draw power from a spot that potential could get wet though. Any idea why they do that?

Dan
Old 06-03-2022, 12:28 AM   #4
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Ok…thanks a million! Seems a bit odd to draw power from a spot that potential could get wet though. Any idea why they do that?

Dan
It's not suppose to get wet.

An RV thermostat needs 12 VDC to operate. Best place to get it is from an appliance that it controls that also has 12 VDC run to it. You're already running wires to the furnace so what's another one in the cable bundle.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 12:36 AM   #5

THOR #17308
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
It's not suppose to get wet.

An RV thermostat needs 12 VDC to operate. Best place to get it is from an appliance that it controls that also has 12 VDC run to it. You're already running wires to the furnace so what's another one in the cable bundle.

I hear ya. I pulled out and looked at the circuit board, couldn’t find anything that looks wrong. Pulled out every connector and tried to dry things out. Any idea which one would be power to the thermostat? Also, what do you think the loud clicking sound was when it got wet in there?

Thanks…Dan
Old 06-03-2022, 01:52 AM   #6
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
I hear ya. I pulled out and looked at the circuit board, couldn’t find anything that looks wrong. Pulled out every connector and tried to dry things out. Any idea which one would be power to the thermostat? Also, what do you think the loud clicking sound was when it got wet in there?

Thanks…Dan
You have a RESET/OFF/ON switch on the furnace. One side is +12 VDC supply. The other side goes to the furnace through the circuit board connector AND to the thermostat.

The clicking was probably the blower relay.
Old 06-03-2022, 10:31 AM   #7

THOR #17308
Quote:
You have a RESET/OFF/ON switch on the furnace. One side is +12 VDC supply. The other side goes to the furnace through the circuit board connector AND to the thermostat.

The clicking was probably the blower relay.
Thanks! Wish I were better at reading schematics. 😳 Would the reset switch be accessible from the outside door, ie where the circuit board and blower motor and igniter are, or from another access point inside the RV?

Thanks again…

Dan
Old 06-03-2022, 10:37 AM   #8

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Quote:

Thanks…Dan
Have you checked the 12v fuse marked appliance. It runs the thermostat.
Old 06-03-2022, 10:50 AM   #9

THOR #17308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo56 View Post
Have you checked the 12v fuse marked appliance. It runs the thermostat.
I actually have a 15 amp fuse marked appliances. I checked and it looks good, as do all my other fuses. No red light, and connection intact. Guess I can double-check and maybe replace it anyway.

Thanks…

Dan
Old 06-03-2022, 01:54 PM   #10
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Thanks! Wish I were better at reading schematics. 😳 Would the reset switch be accessible from the outside door, ie where the circuit board and blower motor and igniter are, or from another access point inside the RV?

Thanks again…

Dan
From the outside door:

Old 06-03-2022, 02:17 PM   #11

THOR #17308
Thank you!

Quote:
From the outside door:

OMG the switch reset actually worked! You sir, are a lifesaver. I was just about to order a new circuit board. I so want to have your baby! 🤗😂

Thank you for solving my issue, much appreciated!

Dan
Old 06-08-2022, 11:28 PM   #12

Model: Venetian M37
State: Texas
THOR #10920
16ace27 knows his stuff…. Have always found his comments and advice to be very helpful.

You will come to love wet conditions and furnace circuit boards!

Tags
2016 thor axis, electrical, no heat or ac, thermostat, water