Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 11-16-2019, 03:14 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Tuscany 45AT
State: Ohio
THOR #16882
How to...2018 Tuscany 45AT motorhome has, believe it or not, the house and starting b

2018 Tuscany 45AT motorhome has, believe it or not, the house and starting batteries in the rear most closet in the rear bath. There is a “door” on the floor of the closet that opens and all the batteries are under the floor of the closet. My concern, other than 6 wet cell batteries in an enclosed environment, is how would you jump start the motorhome if needed. I called Thor and posed that question to them and their answer was there is a flap/door underneath at the very rear of the motorhome. I have looked all over but couldn’t find the door/flap.
So, anyone with the same situation do you know how you would go about jump starting this motorhome?
On a side note I just ordered 6 Lifeline batteries in order to eliminate the wet cells which are currently installed. Hoping to find someone in need of 6 perfectly good NAPA deep discharge wet cells.

Thanks
Ron K.

Old 11-16-2019, 03:31 PM   #2

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=Car+jumper&ref=is_s

Jumper cables are kinda 1956ish 'you kids get offa my lawn' technology.
I doubt any but a small percentage of tow trucks even carry them.

Or, if you're a 'one is none, two is none, three is one' type guy, install the item below:

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/sho...5&postcount=68

(and the link above makes for easy OUTSIDE attachment of the thing in the first link... Three is one....)
Old 11-17-2019, 01:09 PM   #3

Model: Tuscany 45AT
State: Ohio
THOR #16882
Duckface, I have absolutely no idea what you are attempting to say in your previous post. Makes no sense to me, please elaborate.
Old 11-17-2019, 01:38 PM   #4

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
Hi Ron. I think Duckface is basically saying that you could either extend the battery terminals out to a location where you could safely connect and either charge them or boost them; or instead of using long battery boost cables or extenders, you can purchase the portable lithium battery boost packs now that come with their own short connection cables.
Old 11-17-2019, 01:57 PM   #5

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
I think you are also overthinking, worrying, about something that is very, very, very rare for your type of large coach.
We have been traveling and parked for over 5 years in ours, over 100,000 miles, and I've NEVER had ANY issue with the chassis battery 'sealed' batteries cranking this rig, or even the slightest hesitation, no matter how LONG it has been parked, or stored, without any shore power or external battery charging.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 02:22 PM   #6
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by javelin View Post
Hi Ron. I think Duckface is basically saying that you could either extend the battery terminals out to a location where you could safely connect and either charge them or boost them; or instead of using long battery boost cables or extenders, you can purchase the portable lithium battery boost packs now that come with their own short connection cables.
I bought one of them for use on my Spyder.. They pack a TON of punch, and when I tested on spinning over the V-10 in my Outlaw: it passed with flying colors.
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 06:55 PM   #7

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post
I think you are also overthinking, worrying, about something that is very, very, very rare for your type of large coach.
We have been traveling and parked for over 5 years in ours, over 100,000 miles, and I've NEVER had ANY issue with the chassis battery 'sealed' batteries cranking this rig, or even the slightest hesitation, no matter how LONG it has been parked, or stored, without any shore power or external battery charging.
Same here in 4 years going on 5
Old 11-17-2019, 06:56 PM   #8

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonK View Post
2018 Tuscany 45AT motorhome has, believe it or not, the house and starting batteries in the rear most closet in the rear bath. There is a “door” on the floor of the closet that opens and all the batteries are under the floor of the closet. My concern, other than 6 wet cell batteries in an enclosed environment, is how would you jump start the motorhome if needed. I called Thor and posed that question to them and their answer was there is a flap/door underneath at the very rear of the motorhome. I have looked all over but couldn’t find the door/flap.
So, anyone with the same situation do you know how you would go about jump starting this motorhome?
On a side note I just ordered 6 Lifeline batteries in order to eliminate the wet cells which are currently installed. Hoping to find someone in need of 6 perfectly good NAPA deep discharge wet cells.

Thanks
Ron K.
Since you seem to have the only coach in the world built like this I would still like to see a photo of the battery compartment and there has to be a vent

It is illegal to install any kind of flooded battery in a manufacturing setting without providing for a way to vent the hydrogen gas
Old 11-17-2019, 10:11 PM   #9

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
And anyway, unless the house and chassis battery choose to go dead at precisely the same time you can use one to “jump” the other. You probably even have a switch to connect the two for that purpose. That’ll let you start the coach engine from the house batteries or use the chassis battery to start the generator which you can then run until you get someplace for new batteries or repair. If all that fails you should have a lithium emergency pack in your kit. Cheap, small, powerful and very versatile. They also come in handy for emergency retraction of awnings and slides sometimes.