Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 10-19-2017, 09:00 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
Replacing Vegas 24.1 Microwave

We have the standard HighPointe EC028BMR convection/microwave. Last year, about near the end of my warranty period we had a problem with it. It would work as a microwave; however, on some TV dinners that require a second heating the unit would quit. It seemed like it would work for about 7 or 8 minutes and then shut off. If you then waited for about 15 minutes the power would come back on.

It seemed like an overheating problem to me. My dealer checked it out and we verified that the cooling fan was not working. It would overheat and the overheat switch would shut down power until it cooled down.

My dealer contacted HighPointe and they send a replacement unit. My dealer changed it out.

So here we are 14 months later on the "new" microwave and now this one is doing the same thing. The cooling fan on this one is no longer working and the symptoms are identical to what we had on the first one. Since the one year HighPointe warranty is past we are SOL for them replacing it again.

I'm going to remove the HighPointe, measure the box of the unit and the door and replace it with one from Lowes or Home Depot.

Has anyone replaced their HighPointe ECO288MR microwave? If so, what brand did you buy? Does anyone happen to have the HighPointe dimensions? My biggest concern is that the HighPointe is mounted using the two grill pieces above and below the microwave and I want to make sure they will work with the replacement microiwave.

2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 02:12 AM   #2

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: North Carolina
THOR #5494
Hello Sir, our High Point has craped the bed today. Did you find a suitable replacement for yours.

Thank you
Old 06-15-2019, 03:40 PM   #3

Model: Vegas 24.1 - Sold it!
State: Tennessee
THOR #6513
Mine did the same thing on my Vegas 24.1 when using the microwave or convection. Did some trouble shooting and found that there wasnt enough ventilation in the cavity the microwave was mounted in. It got EXTREMELY hot. I drilled holes in the blank area above the microwave and covered with muffin fan grilles. Last trip the oven heated for the first time to 425 degrees for fixing a pizza. May yet go back and install a forced fan to force more air in.

deg
Quote:
Originally Posted by bevedfelker View Post
We have the standard HighPointe EC028BMR convection/microwave. Last year, about near the end of my warranty period we had a problem with it. It would work as a microwave; however, on some TV dinners that require a second heating the unit would quit. It seemed like it would work for about 7 or 8 minutes and then shut off. If you then waited for about 15 minutes the power would come back on.

It seemed like an overheating problem to me. My dealer checked it out and we verified that the cooling fan was not working. It would overheat and the overheat switch would shut down power until it cooled down.

My dealer contacted HighPointe and they send a replacement unit. My dealer changed it out.

So here we are 14 months later on the "new" microwave and now this one is doing the same thing. The cooling fan on this one is no longer working and the symptoms are identical to what we had on the first one. Since the one year HighPointe warranty is past we are SOL for them replacing it again.

I'm going to remove the HighPointe, measure the box of the unit and the door and replace it with one from Lowes or Home Depot.

Has anyone replaced their HighPointe ECO288MR microwave? If so, what brand did you buy? Does anyone happen to have the HighPointe dimensions? My biggest concern is that the HighPointe is mounted using the two grill pieces above and below the microwave and I want to make sure they will work with the replacement microiwave.
Old 06-15-2019, 04:45 PM   #4

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDS View Post
Mine did the same thing on my Vegas 24.1 when using the microwave or convection. Did some trouble shooting and found that there wasnt enough ventilation in the cavity the microwave was mounted in. It got EXTREMELY hot. I drilled holes in the blank area above the microwave and covered with muffin fan grilles. Last trip the oven heated for the first time to 425 degrees for fixing a pizza. May yet go back and install a forced fan to force more air in.
deg
JoeDS: Thanks for the head’s-up
I’ve got the same model & year as you, but have not yet experienced this foreseeable problem.

So now I have a new project...remove Micro/Convection Oven and inspect the cavity
Old 06-17-2019, 03:07 AM   #5

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
Here’s the cavity
There’s empty space above micro/convec
So, JoeDS is correct. There needs to be additional ventilation when cooking at 400+ degrees on Convection

Gotta think abt this one before I proceed

At the very least, open up the upper cavity to the front, add a nice looking grill.
But adding an exhaust fan is something I will probably wait on for a while.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A26F0215-BE60-428C-A42B-F191F13FE81B.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	18235  
Old 06-17-2019, 11:57 AM   #6

Model: Vegas 24.1 - Sold it!
State: Tennessee
THOR #6513
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorbob1 View Post
Here’s the cavity
There’s empty space above micro/convec
So, JoeDS is correct. There needs to be additional ventilation when cooking at 400+ degrees on Convection

Gotta think abt this one before I proceed

At the very least, open up the upper cavity to the front, add a nice looking grill.
But adding an exhaust fan is something I will probably wait on for a while.

Excellent picture. That panel above the microwave is where I drilled my holes for the muffin fan covers. If you do add a fan, get one to will blow air into the cavity. The microwave has a cooling fan that draws air from the space and exhaust it out the front. Since the cavity is closed it gets extremely hot inside the whole compartment. I even has problems with it overheating on just microwave when trying to cook a large frozen item.
Old 01-27-2020, 05:36 PM   #7

Brand: Still Looking
State: Massachusetts
THOR #17922
Quote:
Originally Posted by bevedfelker View Post
We have the standard HighPointe EC028BMR convection/microwave...

Ed & Bev,

You don't by chance still have that HighPointe EC028BMR microwave that you took out, do you?

My door glass broke, so I'm looking to replace my door.

And curious, if you did replace yours, what did you replace it with?

Thanks!
-Bruce