Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-06-2018, 12:19 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Colorado
THOR #7468
How does this happen - air in water lines

How in the *&% can I be getting air in my water lines but there is no leak? I have always had terrible water pressure, it's been looked at (under warranty) and nothing found to be wrong. Often not enough water running through to trigger the hot water heater.

So - last night I decided to start from the tank unscrewing the lines and making sure they were clear and tight when I put them back together. After the 1st 2 I thought I should check if that helped - NO - worse than ever! I admit that I didn't have teflon tape, so I'll try that this morning.

But - I have 2 questions:
1. How does this even happen - how is air getting in, but water isn't dripping out?

2. Can I replace any of the lines that are using 90D turns with a flexible line from point A-B?

3. Can I just rant here a little bit? Oh - wait, I said 2 questions, and I already am ranting, so I guess the answer to this one is yes! Darn it to hell, I want to shower!

Old 07-06-2018, 12:27 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I'm no expert on bleeding anything but... me!
But here's my take on what you've got going on. I apologize in advance; if it's just too simple!
Since air is a whole lot lighter than water: try opening up all of your sink and shower faucets. Then: (Assuming that you're running off your freshwater tank): hit the pump!
If you're hooked to City Water: this would be when you open up that spigot, and let the water enter your system.
IN THEORY........ ..... The water should be pushing all of the air in front of it, and it should make it to the faucets.

Unless you've got a leak somewhere!

Good luck!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 12:42 PM   #3
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
When hooking up to city water make sure you run the water enough to fill the hose before connecting the hose to the RV (otherwise all that air in the hose will go into your RV's water system). In any case its good to do that to flush out the hose.

On your faucets remove the strainer and see if there are any plastic bits stuck behind them; for that matter remove the strainer going into the pump as well there may be more plastic bits in there.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 12:58 PM   #4

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
Also, check connections on the inlet side of the pump (cracked flange, loose hose). This area would not leak as there is never any pressure on that side. When you turn pump on, it could be sucking air into the lines as it pushes water under pressure to faucets. I had this happen on a truck camper years ago.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 07:16 PM   #5

Model: Windsport. 35M
THOR #6199
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
Also, check connections on the inlet side of the pump (cracked flange, loose hose). This area would not leak as there is never any pressure on that side. When you turn pump on, it could be sucking air into the lines as it pushes water under pressure to faucets. I had this happen on a truck camper years ago.

X2. Same here.
Old 07-07-2018, 04:40 AM   #6

Model: ACE 30.2
State: Massachusetts
THOR #8180
Does the same thing occur with city water connected as when running the pump? That might isolate it to the pump and it's connections. When you use your pump does it build pressure and stop then with everything shut does it cycle? That pressure loss is a leak...now you have to find it. Pump doesn't cycle but air sputter when you open a faucet...do you have an anti-freeze tube connection to the inlet of the pump, is the cap tightly sealed so you're not sucking air into the system? Small filter bowl o-ring near the pump is in tact, not missing?
Old 07-07-2018, 10:20 AM   #7

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Air in the water system is not an uncommon problem. If you are experiencing air in the system it’s usually caused by a loose connection on the intake side of your pump, just like others have already stated. The screened filter on the intake side of pump is a common place to draw air, remove the filter cover, clean the threads and screw it in place securely, check the seal to make sure it’s in good condition and seated properly.

You should not have air in the system when hooked to city water. It’s a good practice to flush the hose and then leave it full when hooking to the coach.

I guess I’m pretty much just restating what everyone else has said.
Old 07-08-2018, 05:57 PM   #8

State: Colorado
THOR #7468
Teflon tape is my new best friend. I did every connection I could find/reach. And made sure all the lines were clear, then bled out the lines etc. Wowser the pressure I have now! and a big F-you to Camping World who previously said my system was functioning as expected.

Side note - I was camping with friends and we were discussing how different camping in Colorado for us seems to be from people here on the forum - I have never ever even hooked this camper (or any other I've owned) up to city water. I've never camped where water/sewer was an option. I need to get out around the country more.
Old 07-08-2018, 06:02 PM   #9
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
THOR #8860
I LIKE City Water!
It gives my immune system a good reason to show up to work every day!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 07:24 PM   #10
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonineThor View Post
Side note - I was camping with friends and we were discussing how different camping in Colorado for us seems to be from people here on the forum - I have never ever even hooked this camper (or any other I've owned) up to city water. I've never camped where water/sewer was an option. I need to get out around the country more.
That really isn't a Colorado thing, its just more your preference as if you look you'll find full hookup resorts just about everywhere. You can also find rustic "no hookup" spots everywhere as well.

Just in Michigan here if you look in the Northern Lower Peninsula you'll find an abundance of both (National Forests where you just pull up and you're camping, or complete full hookup resorts with a cement pad and a BBQ provided).

You see a lot of full hookup campers on the forums here as there are quite a few full-timers that prefer those spots. We do have our share of wilderness campers as well, however.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote