Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 09-04-2017, 05:02 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Tennessee
THOR #4231
Extended warranty - yes or no

I can't imagine that this has not already been discussed, but I did not have any luck with the search feature.

My dealer has offered an extended warranty for $5500. Bumper to bumper with $200 deductible for four years beyond the factory 1 year. Brochure says Protective Asset Protection Platinum coverage for motor homes.

Anybody have experience with them? Seems like a lot of money, but I know repairs would be expensive as well...

Are there other companies that have given good products?

We are supposed to pick up our Challenger on Wednesday, so would appreciate any advice!

Thanks,
Linda

Old 09-04-2017, 05:10 PM   #2

State: California
THOR #8228
I got the compass platinum no deductible for the same price. With in 1st - 2nd weeks had to replace my inverter 900 bucks. Make sure you have no wait period. Policy should start from time of purchase... didn't cost me any out of pocket. Work them!
Old 09-04-2017, 05:11 PM   #3

State: Oregon
THOR #2271
Absolutely NO! I would consider it if this was the first model year. But even then, it never paid for itself when I bought one. You will have expenses. BUT, the extended warranty is only fluff to make the dealer more money.
  • Be diligent about making warranty claims the first year. Thor was very good to me.
  • Put that money you were going to pay monthly into a savings account. Use that for repairs.
Old 09-04-2017, 05:24 PM   #4

State: Pennsylvania
THOR #4486
I once had a Good Sam extended warranty on a Shasta Class C and was happy with it at time. Since then Good Sam was taken over by Camping World so not sure if it is still as good. I did check the price recently and it seemed pretty reasonable, around $3-4K for a 5 year plan. I am of the opinion that as long as my coach has a Ford Chassis/power train warranty, I am not interested in an extended warranty. I did check the Ford price on an extended chassis/power train warranty and it was the same price as a Good Sam extended on the entire coach. If I do decide to go with an extended warranty after the Ford warranty expires, I'll probably go with Good Sam.
2015 Ford Taurus toad
schreinertms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 05:57 PM   #5

Model: Four Winds 22B
State: Florida
THOR #5326
YES helped me out several times

Four Winds 22B
Sunseeker 2800QSF GTS (Loss to hurricane Ian)
Windsport 27K
dcbenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 06:29 PM   #6

THOR #8228
Negotiate. There's a big mark up in these to the dealer. I'm glad we bought it seeing it paid a 5th of the cost the 1st month. Normally I never buy a extender warranty... Everyone has them, Best Buy, Frys, etc...But this is a house tied to a truck bouncing down the road going thru magnitude 7 shaking. Just read this forum, a lot can and will go wrong under those conditions. 4 years of protection is not a bad thing under these conditions.
Old 09-04-2017, 07:12 PM   #7

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
THOR #5821
In general IMO extended warrantee's are not a wise expenditure, you are essentially betting your unit will fail. Having said that, and believing that, I do have an extended warrantee on the RV. Helps me sleep better, or something. I had a Good Sam extended warrantee on my previous DP, the oil pump failed on the 8.9L Cummins in it. After being towed to Cummins, no cost though Coachnet, the repair bill was about $5500.00. Additionally one fuel injector failed and was leaking. Good Sam paid all but the $1,000.00 deductible I had for that. I also had the other five injectors rebuilt, but since they had not failed, (yet) Good Sam would not pay for those, so that $500.00 or so was out of my pocket.
Old 09-04-2017, 08:26 PM   #8
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
As you see this question always generates distinct yes an no responses... Comes down to personal preference... A known fixed payment versus unknown repair bills.

I will say FINANCING an extended service plan over the life of an RV loan can be a lot more expensive... If getting through dealer with purchase, pay it upfront if you can.

After market plans allow monthly payments rather than upfront.

My general advice (worth what you are paying for it) is to start with just warranty - see how the year goes, and if you want a plan near end of warranty, then shop around for aftermarket...
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 12:23 AM   #9

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
This has been discussed here, and extensively on other forums. You will find people that swear by extended warranties. You asked for opinions, and mine is that they tend to be profitable for the dealer and the insurance companies, but not so good for the RV owner. The commission to the dealer might be about half of the premium, and you know the insurance company has to make a profit. The problem is the deductible and the exclusions. Read it all before you sign anything.
Old 09-05-2017, 01:02 AM   #10

Model: outlaw 37ls
State: Europe
THOR #6831
warrenty

i bought a used coach 6y/o 11,000 miles, dealer wanted a lot for the warranty.

i had one ac unit not up to par but would have passed as ok, i could not check it at purchase as it was winter time when i bought the coach,

$1100 for a/c about $600 to install and a gen set failure that cost $2100 to fix

$200 for a/c unit on chassis

so it is a gamble, i am still ahead i don't see much else to go wrong except everything.
Old 09-05-2017, 01:42 AM   #11

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
I'd say "No, not now", you have at least one full year of bumper to bumper, so wait to search/negotiate to find what works for you & not just what makes your dealer a LOT of money.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 01:44 AM   #12

State: Tennessee
THOR #4231
Thanks for all the input!! I am going to postpone the decision until the end of my first year.
Old 09-05-2017, 11:15 AM   #13

Model: 2016 A.C.E. 30.1
State: South Carolina
THOR #5641
I waited until about a month before my Thor warranty ended and went with Wholesale Warranties. Don't get it through your dealer, they will just add to the cost. My coverage is 6 years, $100 deductible, and over half the cost as my dealer wanted to sell me a plan for.
Old 09-05-2017, 02:43 PM   #14

Model: Palazzo 35.1
State: New Jersey
THOR #2831
We got the extended warranty when we purchased the MH. Took effect when the factory warranty expired. 5 years, bumper to bumper, $50 deductible at dealer, $100 if at another service center. Last year both motors on large slide had to be replaced, about a $1700 repair. This year a track on one of the slides broke. windshield power shade failed, and several other items had to be repaired. Total this time about $3000. I paid $50.00 each time, so to me, yes, well worth it.
BlueOx tow system
bandorr2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 03:00 PM   #15

Model: '17 Hurricane 34F
State: Missouri
THOR #6040
I did not buy one from my dealer - over priced

Went with a wholesale plan, house only, for 2 additional years. So my house coverage matches the chassis coverage in time. It was less than $1500.

I dont expect this to be a wise financial decision, but one that may provide some peace of mind. In the end, if I dont use it, I should be happier than if I do need to use it.
Old 09-05-2017, 04:03 PM   #16

Model: Four Winds 22B
THOR #5326
I also purchased interior / exterior protection as I live in Florida and leave it parked in driveway. In just one year g the oxidation on passenger side was pretty bad 2700.00 paid by warranty company to restore zero deductible

Four Winds 22B
Sunseeker 2800QSF GTS (Loss to hurricane Ian)
Windsport 27K
dcbenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 04:21 PM   #17
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
We picked up our rig on Saturday... and we DID pop for the extended warranty.

Even though we hope to NEVER have to use it!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 04:36 PM   #18

Model: Challenger 37LX
State: Arizona
THOR #7863
I contacted United States Warranty Corp, got quotes for 5, 6 and 7 year extended coverage. Took that with me to dealer when it was time to sign papers.

They tried selling me a warranty for big bucks. I negotiated till he said he was losing money, then told him the USWC price and said thanks but no thanks. Suddenly, he matched the price. Gave me a line about losing money but it was okay because he was making a sale. Whatever. So I did sign with the dealer, seemed to make sense to have it through Good Sam vs a 3rd party.
The only thing necessary for evil to prosper,
Is that good men do nothing.
Mike in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote