Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 08-06-2016, 08:47 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Connecticut
THOR #3785
How to Winterize Residential Fridge w/ Ice Maker

Hi All!

Has anyone figured out how to winterize the Whirlpool ice maker in the residential fridge?

Bill

2016 Challenger 37TB
BillT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 11:00 PM   #2

Model: Tuscany 38SQ
State: North Carolina
THOR #799
I put a hose into the gallon jug of the pink stuff, turn on the water pump and make pink ice cubes. Be sure to take the water filter out of the refrigerator beforehand. Once I have pink ice, I disconnected the water line to the refrigerator and leave it disconnected until I am ready to dewinterize.
Old 08-07-2016, 04:16 AM   #3

Model: Four Winds 35SK Super C
State: Missouri
THOR #711
I winterize with compressed air. I blow out the ice maker line last. With the compressor regulator set at 40 pounds and the arm of the ice maker in the "Make Ice" position and the refrigerator ON, I wait for the ice maker to cycle about four times or about two/three hours. Works like a charm.
Old 08-07-2016, 11:22 AM   #4
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
My recommendation:

Runt the pink stuff through the line until it comes out the ice maker and makes pink cubes. The shut off the ice maker valve and disconnect the water line.

See this thread for what happened to me this spring.

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f8/...w-up-3717.html

I am not 100 percent certain about what caused my water solenoid to crack but I'll be extra attentive to the fridge this year.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 08:31 PM   #5

Brand: Still Looking
Model: 2019 Coachman Catalina
State: Wisconsin
THOR #5432
I will be traveling to the south this winter while it will be cold. I am wondering when I return about winterizing the ice maker on my res fridge. I would just prefer to do a quick blow out of the lines before returning as I can put it back in my heated garage when I get back. I am wondering if the heat from the fridge running would be enough to keep the ice maker valve from freezing on the back. Its all inside the camper, no back vent or anything.
Old 09-19-2016, 09:34 PM   #6

State: Pennsylvania
THOR #4486
Stupid question but isn't the "pink" stuff (antifreeze) supposed to prevent water from freezing (ice)?
2015 Ford Taurus toad
schreinertms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 11:40 PM   #7
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by schreinertms View Post
Stupid question but isn't the "pink" stuff (antifreeze) supposed to prevent water from freezing (ice)?
It will freeze during the first tray or two of cubes then turn to slush. When it comes out as slush cubes the ice maker should be good
Old 09-20-2016, 11:06 PM   #8

Brand: Still Looking
Model: 2019 Coachman Catalina
State: Wisconsin
THOR #5432
From the Whirlpool website

Refrigerator with an Ice maker and or Water Dispenser

1. Turn off the water supply to the refrigerator
  2. Remove and discard the Water Filter (on some models)
  3. Using a large pitcher or container, engage the water dispenser for several minutes to purge the water line.
  4. Remove and discard all the ice from the ice bin. Keep the ice maker turned on for 24 hours. This allows enough time for the ice maker to complete any harvest cycles and use up any remaining water that might be in the water line. You might hear a buzzing sound during this time.
  5. Disconnect the water supply line that is connected to the back of the refrigerator.
    1. TIP: Have a bucket or container ready, as some remaining water might continue to drain from the water line.
  6. Remove all food and beverages
  7. Thoroughly wipe down the entire inside of the refrigerator and freezer sections. This includes all bins, drawers, shelves and walls.
    1. We recommend using warm soapy water and a soft cloth.
  8. Completely dry all surfaces
  9. Remove any remaining ice cubes from the ice bucket, turn the ice maker to the "OFF" position
  10. Unplug the Refrigerator
  11. Leave doors open to help with air circulation.
Old 10-19-2016, 01:43 AM   #9

Model: Challenger 36TL
State: Georgia
THOR #5536
I have a question..
How do you get the last bit of water out of the ice cube trays? Do you shut water off and have to wait out for it to run out of water and dump the last time? Or is there a way to get the water out without running through multiple ice cycles? This isn't necessarily for winterization, mainly for not using coach for a few weeks at any point in time.
Old 11-11-2016, 03:05 PM   #10
Site Team

THOR #1469
Use a blow out plug and air compressor to winterize the ice maker

Temps projected to get into the 20s this weekend but I don't want to wet winterize yet due to planned trips this month and in December.

I used my blow out plug and air compressor. After blowing out all of the lines I left the compressor connected at approx 40 PSI. With the Ice maker on it continued to make about 3 trays of cubes and I turned it off last night with the a load of cubes still freezing. This morning I reconnected the compressor to the city water connection and turned on the the ice maker. After the load of cubes were dumped the ice maker water supply blew in air from the compressor with little or no water. I will leave the compressor connected for another cycle or two to make sure all of the water is blown out of the ice maker lines and solenoid and then disconnect.

The blow out plug I use is

Camco Blowout Plug with Quick Connect-36143 - The Home Depot
FMCA - F432054
Old 11-11-2016, 05:46 PM   #11

THOR #3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post
Temps projected to get into the 20s this weekend but I don't want to wet winterize yet due to planned trips this month and in December.

I used my blow out plug and air compressor. After blowing out all of the lines I left the compressor connected at approx 40 PSI. With the Ice maker on it continued to make about 3 trays of cubes and I turned it off last night with the a load of cubes still freezing. This morning I reconnected the compressor to the city water connection and turned on the the ice maker. After the load of cubes were dumped the ice maker water supply blew in air from the compressor with little or no water. I will leave the compressor connected for another cycle or two to make sure all of the water is blown out of the ice maker lines and solenoid and then disconnect.

The blow out plug I use is

Camco Blowout Plug with Quick Connect-36143 - The Home Depot
Hi Dave:

I kind of did the same thing. I have a nice Husky compressor my father-in-law gave me. I blew out all the lines and left the compressor attached over night with the icemaker on. I poured a cup or so of anti-freeze down the drains and toilets. Then I removed the filter from the fridge.

I have a nice DeLonghi oil heater with an anti-freeze function. I am thinking about leaving the RV plugged in, and the heater on. What do you think?

Also, do you leave the jacks down or up over the winter? Tires on wood or not? My rig is on item 4 gravel.

Thanks all!

Bill
2016 Challenger 37TB
Old 11-11-2016, 08:58 PM   #12
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillT View Post
Hi Dave:

I kind of did the same thing. I have a nice Husky compressor my father-in-law gave me. I blew out all the lines and left the compressor attached over night with the icemaker on. I poured a cup or so of anti-freeze down the drains and toilets. Then I removed the filter from the fridge.

I have a nice DeLonghi oil heater with an anti-freeze function. I am thinking about leaving the RV plugged in, and the heater on. What do you think?

Also, do you leave the jacks down or up over the winter? Tires on wood or not? My rig is on item 4 gravel.

Thanks all!

Bill
For the most part I will leave my slides in and jacks raised. When I go out and exercise the generator I will also exercise the slides and jacks. As to tires mine remain on the ground. With all that said my coach does take a 250 mile round trip in January to go to the dealer for roof inspection, service and state safety inspection.

I do keep my coach plugged in but do not run a heater during the winter.
FMCA - F432054
Old 11-11-2016, 09:35 PM   #13

THOR #3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post
For the most part I will leave my slides in and jacks raised. When I go out and exercise the generator I will also exercise the slides and jacks. As to tires mine remain on the ground. With all that said my coach does take a 250 mile round trip in January to go to the dealer for roof inspection, service and state safety inspection.

I do keep my coach plugged in but do not run a heater during the winter.
Yeah, we head down to Florida from Connecticut in February. Plenty of exercise for the Rig there. The only thing I really worry about this year is that icemaker and the solenoid.
2016 Challenger 37TB
Old 10-25-2017, 01:03 AM   #14

Model: Windsport 34J
State: Minnesota
THOR #9155
I have a two door Whirlpool fridge with freezer on top.
My method is to remove the front cover on the icemaker to gain access to the test points.
Use an insulated jumper wire between L-V. This will hold the water valve open while the refrigerator has power to it.
This works for both the antifreeze method or the air compressor method.
The freezer does not need to be cold with this method.
Start with the supply valve to the icemaker in the closed position.
When you open the supply valve air or antifreeze will flow to the icemaker.
If you are using antifreeze be ready to pull the jumper wire or close the supply valve for the icemaker before too much runs in! For the air compressor method wait for the sputtering to stop before closing the supply valve.
If you have a water filter in line between the supply valve and the icemaker remove it and add a piece of tubing using applicable fittings in its place. Replace with new filter when restarting.
Old 11-25-2018, 09:37 PM   #15

THOR #3785
How to Winterize Residential Fridge - I Figured It Out!

Hi All!

I know it's been a while, but I was finally able to figure out how to winterize the fridge without having to run the ice maker for 24 hours or having to dump tray after tray of pink ice cubes/slush. All you need is a piece of household wire. Here is a link to the video:

https://youtu.be/6J7Xlzxkuz4

Thanks again for all your help,

Bill
2016 Challenger 37TB
Old 10-03-2019, 03:50 PM   #16

Model: Aria 3901
State: Idaho
THOR #16876
Yeah, I tried using this method on my ice maker but it didn't work. It seems that Whirlpool have taken out the V to L test points out of the newer models of ice makers. I had to cycle mine on over night. It made a mess but it got her done...

Tags
residential refridgerator, winterize