Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 05-03-2016, 01:15 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: windsport 27k
State: Massachusetts
THOR #2451
Smile Humidity rains in rv

We have a problem with water buid up from humidity within windsport 27k.dry air machine did not solve issue.what would be best small dehumidifier? Help drowning lol

Old 05-10-2016, 03:14 AM   #2

Model: Four Winds 22E
State: West Virginia
THOR #3119
Condensation needs 2 things, high humidity and temp differential. It must be cooler inside than out and the outside air must be fairly humid. I dont know if your problem is when the unit is stored or when you are camping. If its when stored you could just crack the vents if you have covers and run a fan or the one I prefer is to seal the unit up and use desiccant bags. They sell them for closets or you can get flower dry from a hobby store and put it in cloth bags. Every once in a while you need to pull them out and dry them in the oven. If that does not work you have a big air leak somewhere.
If it is when you are camping you will have to keep the vents open a little with a fan running. The average person looses over a litre of water per day just breathing. At night when the temps drop and surfaces get cold your breath condensates on everything. If you have several people inside it can be allot of water.
I dont know of any 12v dehumidifiers and the 120v type all blow out a lot of warm air. They work just like an air conditioner but they dont blow the hot air outside and the water is collected in a rear bucket that needs to be emptied if you dont have an outside drain.
I put an ultra quiet computer fan in one of my vents. It does not move enough air to really cool the unit like a fantastic fan does but it draws such low current that you could run it for months on 1 house battery so I leave it on almost all the time I am using the RV and it prevents the damp feeling you get when camping in cool weather. Of course if you boil water or run the shower you still need to use the larger fans.
Old 05-10-2016, 02:00 PM   #3

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by windsport27k2015 View Post
We have a problem with water buid up from humidity within windsport 27k.dry air machine did not solve issue.what would be best small dehumidifier? Help drowning lol
What exactly is your "dry air machine" that isn't getting rid of humidity?

It would also help knowing under what conditions you are having this problem.

Typically condensation occurs when inside surfaces of RV are cool/cold compared to warm and humid air in RV. I always notice this first on windows because they don't have much insulating value, so the glass gets fairly cold when it's cold outside. This causes sweating -- condensation of excess humidity on cold surface.

When it's warm/hot outside, running the air conditioner prevents condensation from forming. An air conditioner works to dehumidify, and also the walls and windows of RV won't get cold enough to form condensation unless air in RV is saturated. Obviously an event like taking a long hot shower in a small space will cause condensation to form for a short period, but the air conditioner or letting in dryer outside air will make it go away in a few minutes.

Perhaps if you can detail what and when it is happening, it may be easier to help. I would recommend running the air conditioner but it may already be too cool for all we know.
Old 05-12-2016, 08:19 PM   #4

THOR #2451
Question Humidity

Thank you for your answers.the dry air machine is sold in camping world and that was what the salesperson suggested should solve the problem.however it did not. There have been two occasions that it rained so to speak in the rv. Once was a trip in oct in the fall vermont and another in york me end of august.one was warm one was not. The shower was not used either trip.Rain on the VT trip made us think we had a leak. The august trip we had the a.c. on.camping world adviced us to look into a good quality dehumidifier. The water wouldnt show up until we would prepare to leave flow down the inside of windshield. They cant give us an answer for it.It doesn't happen on a regular basis odd. Any ideas?
Old 05-12-2016, 08:24 PM   #5

THOR #2451
Thank you good advice.We shall use your advice.
Old 05-12-2016, 08:53 PM   #6

THOR #2121
Based on what you stated above, I wouldn't be too quick to rule out a leak without first testing it.
Old 05-12-2016, 09:06 PM   #7

THOR #2451
Question Leak??

We actually still feel that is a possibility. This is our first rv and it has been in repair under warranty lets say 80 percent of the time.Nothing real serious except for the rain inside and now a water pipe burst of while in camping worlds care. We have only used the rv 3times since purchase last July. Frustrating . What do you suggest for a leak test?.
Old 05-12-2016, 11:26 PM   #8

Model: Four Winds 22E
State: West Virginia
THOR #3119
I can think of a couple reasons why you are seeing so much condensation but none of them would explain 2 different situations. The time in Aug. If you had been running the AC and cooled the RV down, when you got ready to leave you would have shut the AC off and probably had the door open going in and out to pack up. The cold glass hit by the warm humid air would fog up and depending on how humid it was would start dripping. I get this every once in a while in the car when the AC has been on for a long trip and open the door at a gas station and every window in the car fogs up so badly I have to wipe them down to drive.
I can not explain the cool weather incident unless the defrosters or heat was on when you started the engine. If you smell a slightly sweet odour and the air from the vents feels humid, that will cause it and in that case you need to have your cooling system checked for leaks, particularly the heating coil, usually under the dash. I had a car that had a loose clamp on the heater and anytime the heat was on the humidity would fog the windows until the clamp let go and the radiator drained onto the passenger side floor.
As for leak testing the RV, that can be difficult because most RV's have a double wall and you can flood the outside with a hose but unless the leak is tremendous the water usually sets between the walls and does its damage slowly only showing itself as a water stain on the ceiling or rotten wood and mould smells. I would get on the roof and crawl around and examine every joint looking for anything like missing or loose chalk. Check the top and sides of all you windows and vents. My kitchen fan vent did not have any chalk on top and I did not notice it until I was sitting inside during a down pour and heard dripping inside. I could not locate it because it was dripping up inside the range hood, until the area filled up and it came pouring down the wall and across the counter. I had to put duck tape over it that night until the rain stopped and bought some chalk the next day and fixed it properly.
Make sure that the slits in the bottom of the window frames are on the outside and are clear. They are your drains and I have heard of the frames being installed inside out and the rain fills the frame and runs inside and out the drains on the wrong side of the wall.
Old 05-12-2016, 11:52 PM   #9

THOR #2121
It's hard to say, but I personally wouldn't rule out the possibility of a leak because you said once it was raining, and another time you were running the air conditioner. Whether it's rain or condensation from the roof air conditioner, it's possible water is getting in somehow.

I would personally inspect the roof area at the front, and then use a hose to shower water on roof for a while. A slow leak may take a while to work its way down to windshield so I'd take my time. Wet roofs can be very slippery and hence dangerous, so it may be best to let someone else you trust check it. This may be a job for dealer if you trust them.

If water doesn't get in, I'd then shower water from hose around the top of windshield.

If everything stays dry, then I'd start looking for sources of excessive humidity and ways to control it.
Old 05-13-2016, 12:54 AM   #10

THOR #2451
All responses appreciated will see if this happens again once we have rv back.memorial weekend trip booked. Will update what happens nothing or something. Thank you.