Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-08-2021, 09:23 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Oklahoma
THOR #8223
Hurricane 34F slide out and loud pop noise

We're getting ready to take our Hurricane 34F for a month trip, and this weekend we had an issue with the slide that seemed to resolve, but has me on alert. I looked around here but didn't find exactly what I was after, so here goes...

We were extending the slide, and after it had gone about one foot it stopped moving. I let up on the switch, then tried again. It began to move but we heard a loud "pop" and afterward the slide went out with no difficulty. I heard the loud sound inside and my wife heard it outside. I looked at the tracks and see nothing unusual (and I keep them well lubed), and I looked on top of the slideout and everywhere else I could look and found nothing amiss. It retracted normally when we closed up last night.

The only thing I can figure is that somehow the motor gear and tracks were out of alignment, then eventually engaged, but that's just a theory.

Has anyone else had any similar experience? I watched a video in one of the forums where someone had regular wear/damage on a slide track that indicated a broken gear tooth on the motor, but I have nothing like that. All looks normal.

Thanks for your time.

Old 11-08-2021, 10:44 PM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Or a flashlight rolled under the slide and momentarily jammed it. Don't ask me how I know.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 11:02 PM   #3

THOR #8223
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Or a flashlight rolled under the slide and momentarily jammed it. Don't ask me how I know.
We did have a bunch of bungee cords holding the mattress vertically, I thought one may have been on top and stretched and finally broke free, but nothing.
Old 11-08-2021, 11:53 PM   #4

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
We’re you in the driveway? Was the coach level prior to extending the slide? Bungees holding the mattress vertical? The last time you ran it in did the hold the switch 3 seconds after it was in to sync the motors?

I’ve never had popping noises. And Schwintec recommends not lubing the tracks as that could cause a “slip”. Only lube the gibs and rollers.

No idea what could cause a loud popping noise.
Old 11-09-2021, 11:36 PM   #5

State: North Carolina
THOR #19102
I would visually look under the seal inside and check out all of the rollers. I would also visually check the seal outside and make sure it is fully intact.

Sounds like something jammed up and then broke free.
Old 11-10-2021, 12:50 AM   #6

Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Iowa
THOR #4488
The description of "loud pop" is somewhat subjective, but is it possible it was simply one of the swipe seals that just didn't flip. I've never had mine stop from this but have heard what I'd describe as a loud pop caused by the top seal flipping over.
Old 11-10-2021, 01:05 AM   #7
MLP

State: California
THOR #17478
Do you have a Swintech slide system? If so, you need to wax the sides, top and bottom super smooth, then service the sweep seals with a seal cleaner lube or 303, and then use dry silicone lube on the gear tracks. Don't ask me why I know, but you will be glad you did.
Old 11-10-2021, 02:29 PM   #8

THOR #8223
Hi, everyone, and thanks for the feedback. I'll just respond to all in one reply.

Indeed, the "popping" noise is subjective but the best way to describe it. And I'll take that over grinding, slipping, or whining sounds! It was there and gone.

As for the bungee cord setup: when we put the RV away last winter we put the mattress vertically (and off the floor on a couple blocks) so that mice didn't have a nice cozy place to burrow under. The bungees just held the top of the mattress to keep it from flopping over. A couple bungees were hooked to the wood trim on top of the slide inside. I thought maybe one bungee had been left on top (and unseen) and stretched enough to slow the slide then broke free, but I saw nothing up top.

Once we'd extended the slide I thoroughly inspected the top, bottom, sides, tracks, seals, and anything I could put eyes on and saw nothing amiss or suspicious looking.

As for lubing, I do what MLP suggests: the tracks just get a dry lube. Nothing gooey or anything that could attract and hold dust or grit.

I'm leaning towards Campnjoe's theory that "something jammed up and then broke free." We'd had guests in there a week or two before, and I've wondered if they kicked something under the bottom that stuck and released.

The good thing is that it happened before we headed out for an upcoming long trip!

Thanks for all the feedback!
Old 11-10-2021, 02:34 PM   #9

Model: Miramar 34.2
State: New York
THOR #3584
Do you have a washing machine? We had the same problem, results were the pvc elbow on the discharge hose was high going into the gray tank would hang up on the slide then make a loud bang as the slide passed over it.
Old 11-13-2021, 07:24 PM   #10

THOR #8223
Extended the slide today with no problems. I’ll take a mystery one-off over a major issue!
Old 11-17-2021, 10:34 PM   #11

State: Nevada
THOR #21217
Slide popping noise

I too just had this happen with my slide. 2021 Hurricane 29m . Whole wall slider.
While extending the slide it kept slowing down to almost a stop until the loud pop and then picked up its speed again. I haven’t had the noise since. And it wasn’t the first time I’ve had the slide out either. I am asking Camping World to check it out, but expect nothing from them.
Old 11-17-2021, 10:44 PM   #12

Model: ACE 33.1
State: Nevada
THOR #21278
We have a 2021 THOR ACE 33.1 that I am about to take in for a warranty repair. We also have a "popping sound" when extending. Less popping noise when retracting. As it turned out, our RV flooring developed an "upward bulge" towards the front cabin. The frame/molding of the front slide out where the jack knife sit is located "binds" to the bulged floor, making that "pooping sound" when the molding snaps after it clears the bulge. The Front slide out is also misaligned at this point. The bottom slide rail also was gouged.

THOR want to do slide roller adjustment first, rather than fixing the bulge of the floor.
ador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 02:21 AM   #13

THOR #8223
Interesting posts. If I notice anything on our upcoming trip I’ll chime in. Interesting things to watch for.
Old 11-20-2021, 12:22 AM   #14

State: Alaska
THOR #7980
Measure exactly or count exactly the distance or measurement from the end of the rack gear to the upper (1-2) and lower guide blocks. It's much easier if the slide is very close to retracted. I use a dial caliper from harbor freight and a sharp knife to make reference lines. This will tell you if a gear has jumped causing the loud pop. Mine has jumped after an emergency stop and also from a rough road.