Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 08-24-2019, 06:22 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Damon Intruder
State: Arizona
THOR #14269
Dominic Refridgerator

fridge not working

Old 08-25-2019, 12:33 AM   #2

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
More details required !
Old 08-25-2019, 02:18 AM   #3

THOR #14269
Domenic Fridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by javelin View Post
More details required !
Thxs. Javelin for jumping in. I don't do this often so bear with me. I have the unit plugged in 24/7 and recently decided to check the fridge as we were thinking of a trip. I turned on the the unit and all I'm getting is the freezer while the fridge isn't cooling. I then decided to try it on propane and got the same results. What do you suggest I try?
Old 08-25-2019, 02:26 AM   #4
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaztunaaz View Post
Thxs. Javelin for jumping in. I don't do this often so bear with me. I have the unit plugged in 24/7 and recently decided to check the fridge as we were thinking of a trip. I turned on the the unit and all I'm getting is the freezer while the fridge isn't cooling. I then decided to try it on propane and got the same results. What do you suggest I try?
Waiting a few hours. It takes a long time to cool down these fridges from 90+ degrees.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 02:27 AM   #5
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
These units -absorption fridge- chill the freezer first. If the freezer is cooling, the fridge will get there.
It will cool faster on propane, but electric will get there too.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 02:29 AM   #6

THOR #14269
Dominic Fridge

Good Point as it does get hot here in Phoenix...hehe But I think I did overnight which I though was plenty of time.
Old 08-25-2019, 02:32 AM   #7

Model: Axis 25.2
State: Georgia
THOR #5927
I noticed the same thing just this week while preparing for the trip we are currently on. When I tested out the fridge, the freezer portion got cold really quickly. I just had to wait a few more hours for the fridge portion to cool off.

I had the same reaction—oh, no, it isn’t working. Give it a little time and check again.
Old 08-25-2019, 02:39 AM   #8

THOR #14269
Dominic Fridge

Thxs. Guys....I will try and show some patience and hope you are right. I'm going out right now and put it on propane and give it more time. Sure hope you guys have nailed it for me. Have a gr8 evening...Charlie..
Old 08-25-2019, 02:42 AM   #9
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
On my prior Class C I found the Dometic Fridge worked better after I starting using a small battery operated fridge fan like this

https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-3-Vo...43749526&psc=1

I had read somewhere that one of the issues with the fridge was air circulation inside the refrigerator. I installed the fan and it started cooling faster and stayed cold longer.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 02:53 AM   #10

THOR #14269
Smile

Makes sense...We use to always have one of the battery operated fans.. I just turned the unit on in propane mode and will see about getting one of the fans tomorrow. I think the actual temp in the rv right when I walked in was probably 90+...so maybe I ought to help by closing it up and run the A/C overnight. Yes..Phx. is warm right now but as you all have heard, it's a "dry heat". lol.... Thxs. to all your responses and I will report back after giving it some time.
Old 08-31-2019, 08:11 PM   #11

THOR #14269
Well Guys...I am finally back to you as promised. Unfortunately not good news. Since we talked a week ago, I tried using 110 power and propane (no difference) and eventually the fridge portion started to cool while the freezer is very cold. I purchased a fan to get the air flow moving and as of this morning, the thermometer in the fridge is showing in the "spoiled" area.

Very strange.....
Old 09-01-2019, 01:44 AM   #12

THOR #2631
Sounds like still no cooling happiness. I am attaching a video which describes bypassing the fridge control board and powering the 120vac heating element directly to actually test the cooling unit itself. (if you don't feel comfortable doing this then defer to a trained tech to check things out instead). The video suggests using the heating element instead of propane because even if the propane burner lights OK it may not provide the amount of heat required for spec cooling effect. The fun starts after a slow intro. Hopefully your cooling unit is not blocked.

Old 09-01-2019, 02:36 AM   #13

THOR #14269
Thxs for the suggestion and will review the video. Unfortunately I probably need to put the project on hold as leaving on a month long trip but using the car. Just curious and dying to ask what you mean when you finish the post "hope the cooling unit isn't blocked." hehe Then what???
Old 09-01-2019, 02:54 AM   #14

Model: Citation
State: Texas
THOR #8139
Is the sun shining on the refrigerator wall.
Where the sun is shining will make a big differance in how your frig performs.
Old 09-01-2019, 03:33 AM   #15
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Thxs for the suggestion and will review the video. Unfortunately I probably need to put the project on hold as leaving on a month long trip but using the car. Just curious and dying to ask what you mean when you finish the post "hope the cooling unit isn't blocked." hehe Then what???
Absorption units will "rock up" if abused by running it out of level for an extended period. Probably not your case if you are getting good cooling in the freezer.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 04:25 AM   #16

THOR #14269
Regarding the last two posts, no this side of motorhome isn't getting much sun and the unit is pretty much level.

But thanks all for sharing thoughts...
Old 09-01-2019, 12:25 PM   #17
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
If the freezer is 'very cold' - then I expect the cooling part of the fridge is fine... The freezer does cool first and flow into the fridge - so I would look for something blocking the airflow between the two...
Enjoy your trip if you don't get to it before you leave.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 01:06 PM   #18

THOR #2631
Quote:
Well Guys...I am finally back to you as promised. Unfortunately not good news. Since we talked a week ago, I tried using 110 power and propane (no difference) and eventually the fridge portion started to cool while the freezer is very cold. I purchased a fan to get the air flow moving and as of this morning, the thermometer in the fridge is showing in the "spoiled" area.

Very strange.....

Somehow I missed this entry where you said the freezer was very cold.....so you can ignore my video entry about bypassing fridge controls (might be useful for those with no cooling at all). I wonder if you have a thermistor issue (usually the little temp sensing device clipped onto the fins in the fridge portion) as they do fail, but are relatively cheap to replace on Amazon. Also make sure your “test” thermometer is reading correctly by checking its readings in your house fridge.
Old 09-02-2019, 03:30 AM   #19

State: North Carolina
THOR #6026
Quote:
Originally Posted by javelin View Post
Somehow I missed this entry where you said the freezer was very cold.....so you can ignore my video entry about bypassing fridge controls (might be useful for those with no cooling at all). I wonder if you have a thermistor issue (usually the little temp sensing device clipped onto the fins in the fridge portion) as they do fail, but are relatively cheap to replace on Amazon. Also make sure your “test” thermometer is reading correctly by checking its readings in your house fridge.
Try this video. Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190901-173712_Messages.jpeg
Views:	74
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	20021
Old 09-02-2019, 02:31 PM   #20

THOR #14269
Thxs. all for the ideas...Got to put the project to repair on the back burner for now. If you are patient, I will report back later...