Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 07-04-2016, 11:35 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Massachusetts
THOR #1202
Hurricane 34j leveler says low battery and generator stopped working

I just pulled into campsite about a hour ago. Using the leveler while generator running . Generator stopped and levelers say low power will not retract. The generator won't turn over also no test codes when trying to start generator from out side. I had the generator on for the Air cond. there must be a breaker or fuse some where that blew. Any help would be great. I will be here for a few days but will have to get this working or I won't be able to get levelers up. On voltage panel I did I have 13.5 Volts .rv starts also. I could extend the slide . House battery is completely charged. I just drove 5 hours to get here with generator on for air condition as long as the alternator is working the coach battery should be ok

Old 07-05-2016, 12:49 PM   #2

Model: Four Winds 28A Class C
State: Vermont
THOR #4117
It appears that the generator is not getting sufficient power from the house battery. I would check the heavy wires from the house battery to the generator. Loose terminals, corroded connections, etc.

Check the house battery voltage too. Does your voltage panel measure the house battery voltage or the starter battery?
Old 07-05-2016, 06:27 PM   #3

Model: Windsport 34F
State: Louisiana
THOR #4545
There are multiple batteries. One for the engine and usually two for the coach. The coach batteries only get charged from the generator and shore power. Sound like you may have drained your coach batteries down too low. You should be able to plug in and charge your batteries.

Good luck
Old 07-06-2016, 08:46 PM   #4

Model: 2016 Hurricane 32N
State: Illinois
THOR #2257
Inline Circuit Breaker

If yours is wired like my Hurricane, look for an inline circuit breaker somewhere in the compartment with the house batteries. Mine was on the wall to the upper right--it had a yellow breaker that had tripped. I pushed it back in and the generator worked again.

Good luck!
Old 07-06-2016, 08:56 PM   #5

Brand: Keystone
Model: Cougar 30 RLS 5th wheel
State: Colorado
THOR #2204
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwht View Post
If yours is wired like my Hurricane, look for an inline circuit breaker somewhere in the compartment with the house batteries. Mine was on the wall to the upper right--it had a yellow breaker that had tripped. I pushed it back in and the generator worked again.

Good luck!
Mine is the same as Tom's.
I like to wander and I'm not lost!
Phil Saran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 04:03 PM   #6

State: Massachusetts
THOR #1202
It was the circuit breaker. I also found out what blew the circuit breaker. Because my leveler wouldn't go back up. Sounded like hydrolic pump was not creating pressure. After a mobile service call and 200 bucks later and when being on the phone with lippert prior to the service call which they could have told me how to retract them but did not Grrrrrr. In there is z manufacturing problem with the wire harness. It has a box in the wiring which I believe is diodes.. They sent me out a new harness free of charge. But if you are one of the lucky ones that this happens to. Where the levelers won't go up look for the black and white wires. They connect to a solenoid on the left side of leveling system . A little hard to get too. Just disconnect the wire and they will go up. Then get a new harness from lippert.. If you want the levelers to go back down just reconnect the wire.. The new harness removes the diode pack. If I compared it to the old harness, there are only two wires rerouted. If I paid attention when I put the new one in. I could have Seen which wires to splice in in place of the diode pack..
Old 02-11-2017, 05:11 PM   #7

Model: Hurricane 34J
State: Texas
THOR #6099
bassoneman question, where is the level system you speak of? Great info about the inline breaker. But, where is the black and white wire to pull off that makes the leveler go up? Is it in the hydraulic pump compartment? I have a 2016 Hurricane 34J. Thanks
Old 02-11-2017, 07:31 PM   #8

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
This is getting a little confusing. On my coach (H31S) there is only one chassis battery. The 150 amp circuit breaker for the front cap fuse panel (located down by the drivers left foot) is located on the right frame rail extension close to the chassis battery under the front cap. My leveling jack instructions say, "place the shift lever into the park position, set the parking brake firmly, leave the engine running and press the ON button on the jack control panel to start the leveling procedure".
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote