Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 06-09-2019, 05:29 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Hydraulic leveler fluid change

After having never given the Power Gear levelers hydraulics a second thought, a post last week got me doing so. Turns out Lippert recommends changing the fluid every 36 months and mine was about 40 months old. They further recommend changing the fluid in the reservoir only so there is no need to “open” the system. Sounded easy. I used a siphon to pull almost a gallon of Dexron 3 out and a funnel to replace it. Not sure I got all of it since my siphon hose was rather curled but I’m good. Old fluid looked clean but was just a bit darker than the new. Easy job for your consideration. Lippert said they ship them dry and to check with the coach builder to see what fluid they use. It would be (they said) either AW32 hydraulic oil or Dexron/Mercron transmission fluid. Mine (Fleetwood) was the latter.

Old 06-09-2019, 08:15 PM   #2

Model: 2016 Thor Outlaw 29H
State: Tennessee
THOR #13869
I would think the hydraulic oil would be that yellow tan hue oil has in a light oil and that the Dexron/Mercron would be red in color.

Just my thoughts and experiences with oils...
Old 06-09-2019, 08:55 PM   #3

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Yes, I didn’t know that when I started. It would have saved me from contacting Fleetwood. Mine was red so there you go.
Old 06-09-2019, 10:58 PM   #4

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
I'm coming up on three tears. Thanks for the info Pete

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 11:57 AM   #5

Model: Quantum
State: Alabama
THOR #13457
Any Ideas.....I lost all power to my Thor Quantam with the exception of the refridgerator and microwave. Smelled acid from batteries and saw fumes from the batteries under the step. In use switch not working. I am plugged into shore power...I checked the circuit breakers and none were tripped.
Old 06-12-2019, 01:01 PM   #6

Model: Serrano
State: Florida
THOR #8144
When you say, 'lost all power' are you talking 120VAC or 12VDC? You talked about refer and microwave still being powered (120VAC) and then switched to battery (12VDC) fumes. Which breakers did you check? A little more detail might help narrow down the problem, please.
Old 06-12-2019, 01:04 PM   #7

THOR #8144
Also, it might be better to start another thread. I think that this is considered 'hijacking an existing thread' about a different problem.
Old 06-12-2019, 03:48 PM   #8

Model: Quantum
State: Alabama
THOR #13457
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford1 View Post
When you say, 'lost all power' are you talking 120VAC or 12VDC? You talked about refer and microwave still being powered (120VAC) and then switched to battery (12VDC) fumes. Which breakers did you check? A little more detail might help narrow down the problem, please.
Lost A/C, all 12volt lights. I chckd breakers in fuse box, they didnt seem to be tripped.
Old 06-12-2019, 05:08 PM   #9

THOR #8144
Seems like you need to be checking the 12VDC sources. The first thing to check us the 12V coming from your batteries. That power goes through a circuit breaker, normally 40 or 50 amps. The breaker is near the battery, probably mounted on the wall, looks like a terminal block, usually has large red cables going in and out. There is a small button on top or on one side that is the reset. This would be the first thing to find. The A/C is probably not workjng because it requires 12VDC for its control circuit, so finding the 12V should solve that too.
Old 06-12-2019, 05:10 PM   #10

THOR #8144
CLARIFICATION - That breaker is probably mounted on the wall or chassis rail under the step, near the coach battery.