Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 06-09-2021, 07:36 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 30.1
State: Saskatchewan
THOR #12902
Hydraulic leveling jack noise

We have a 2013 Thor ACE 30.1. Our leveling jacks when extended have periodically begun making a loud noise like a motor starting up (I have no better discriptor), then the noise stops. The fluid is right up and no leaks have been detected. We raised the jacks and lowered them again, but the noise still occurred. Any thought? Thanks

Old 06-09-2021, 07:45 PM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Find/read the Lippert TSB about adding anti-stiction fluid to the hydraulic system.

https://support.lci1.com/documents/t...raulic-systems

Google found it for you!
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 07:49 PM   #3

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
So the motor noise happens when you are not using the jacks and when they are up? If that is the case, I think there are two possibilities.

Either you have a slow hydraulic leak and the pressure is dropping or your pressure sensor is failing.

When the pressure drops due to a leak or the pressure sensor is failing and thinks the pressure is too low when it isn't, there appears not to be enough pressure to keep the jacks retracted. If you have the parking brake off and the engine is running, the system will attempt to run the motor to retract the jacks as a safety measure before you would try to drive away.

I had a case where my pressure sensor failed so when the engine was running and I released the parking brake, the leveler motor fired up even though the jacks were retracted because the sytem thought the pressure was too low. The motor would run until it tripped the 100A breaker and then I would get a Low Voltage Alarm.

Once I replaced the pressure sensor (got one off Amazon), it solved the problem. You may want to look for possible oil spots and signs of a leak. if you don't find anything, it could be the sensor.
Old 06-09-2021, 08:17 PM   #4

Model: ACE 30.1
State: Saskatchewan
THOR #12902
Well gentlemen...egg on our faces! What we assumed was our hydraulic jacks giving us trouble was in fact the generator attempting to start up - which i guess is another concern ... good lord!
Thanks for your quick and thoughtful responses.