Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 07-11-2016, 09:11 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds Super C 35SB
State: Colorado
THOR #3579
Not so great news, and obviously I am a sucker. Has anyone been able to enjoy their RV after they have had the problems fixed at the factory? I am so far in debt with this RV that I can't "unload" it

Old 07-11-2016, 10:10 PM   #22

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
Sorry you had such a horrible experience with your RV. I've owned three large boats and I'm on my fourth RV and I have had some issues with each of them - probably none as traumatic as yours. If you read thru this forum, you will see that there are many people who have had good experiences with Thor and those who have had bad experiences. Over the past two and a half years they have fixed almost every issue that I have had - except for one. Don't give up. Hopefully they will fix your problems and you will love your RV again.
Old 07-12-2016, 08:19 PM   #23

Model: ACE 27.1
State: California
THOR #3186
Thor is usually pretty quick with the money. As far as diesel spilling from overfill dont overfill. Gas tanks will do that too especially in warm weather. Listen to the fill pipe and when you hear it gurgling and getting close stop filling.
Old 07-04-2019, 04:41 PM   #24

State: Virginia
THOR #4378
I have owned my 2015 Thor Ace for 4 years now. I have had nothing but issues. Recently within the last 1 1/2 yrs. I have had 3 yes 3 hydraulic lines burst while traveling. 2 within the last month and a half. What are the chances. Well one thing I have learned from multiple mechanics is that this is very common.

After my experiences with the issues I have had to fix or get fixed I am no longer surprised. It is as if one of 3 things are occurring. First the men in the Thor line don’t care and run the lines as they see fit without regards to the bends. Second the line inspectors are just as incompetent as the men who run the lines if they are even inspecting. Third is the quality of the material.

Personally I believe it is a combination of all 3. Quite frankly I am surprised that they are still business. Enough said we just have to move on and do what we RVers do best. Make things happen and keep it moving. By the way a mechanic in camping world named Billy from the Va beach area suggested having the current hoses made with good material when replacing. Costly but reassuring when RVing down the road.
Old 07-04-2019, 05:01 PM   #25

THOR #3186
For the return lines they use R100 7, an orange vinyl tube with no wire. It withstands 3,200. Replace all orange return lines with a quality wire hose with a 3,200 psi rating. The R100 if it kinks it will eventually break. I did all 4 of mine at $400 for the new hose. The local shop made them in 10 minutes. Took about 3bhours to install - a neighbor and myself.

Check for rub points, they are bad.
Old 07-05-2019, 03:57 PM   #26

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest Grump View Post
For the return lines they use R100 7, an orange vinyl tube with no wire. It withstands 3,200. Replace all orange return lines with a quality wire hose with a 3,200 psi rating. The R100 if it kinks it will eventually break. I did all 4 of mine at $400 for the new hose. The local shop made them in 10 minutes. Took about 3bhours to install - a neighbor and myself.

Check for rub points, they are bad.

Don’t mean to hijack this thread but if you decide to repair yourself:
Forest Grump, although I have had no issues with my jacks to date, I am sure my time will come. Any words of wisdom on your hose change process for we “do it your selfers”? For example:

- when is it safe to open up the hydraulic lines?(position of jacks?...since I believe there is pressure when holding them up and when they are down holding the coach up). If your hose is already blown then I guess there is no pressure there to worry about.
- After the hose changes......how did you refill the hydraulic reservoir and purge the air from the system?
- Any clues as to prime hose chafing spot(s) on your ACE that might apply to others (while considering that Factory install routing may vary just because...).

Thanks.
Old 07-07-2019, 02:19 AM   #27

THOR #3186
No pressure because of the leaks. The are two bleeds on either side of the hydraulic pump. Mine rubbed on the door and blew and also just aft of the pump about 2’. Must have been from a kink. The 100 R7 hose has no metal just nylon thread. If it has kinked it will blow. Took mine all off and had new ones made of the same length but better grade wired hose.

Only problem area is the T on each jack which is at the top of the jack. One horizontal and one up. The one ups required long arms and fortitude. 11/16 wrench for all fittings. No need to bleed after installation just keep the reservoir filled. Hand cleaner - need hand cleaner, lots of hand cleaner.
Old 07-07-2019, 02:50 AM   #28

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
Forest Grump thanks for the feedback. If you had no leaks (working system) I wonder if running the jack pump manually so the jacks just started coming down and then stop before hitting ground would actually drop the system pressure to a safe level to allow opening up a fitting with no risk of removing a hand from a 3000 psi light saber of transmission fluid.

It would be better to be proactive changing the hoses than after they have blown in some far off camp ground. It would also be interesting to have a pressure gauge on the system. Thanks again for the info.
Old 07-07-2019, 03:54 PM   #29

THOR #3186
Quote:
Originally Posted by javelin View Post
Forest Grump thanks for the feedback. If you had no leaks (working system) I wonder if running the jack pump manually so the jacks just started coming down and then stop before hitting ground would actually drop the system pressure to a safe level to allow opening up a fitting with no risk of removing a hand from a 3000 psi light saber of transmission fluid.

It would be better to be proactive changing the hoses than after they have blown in some far off camp ground. It would also be interesting to have a pressure gauge on the system. Thanks again for the info.
Turn off all power and use the bleeders I assume. But just do a google search and you will quickly find your answer. I’ve removed three thousand plus plugs from oil wells and you bleed first but never trust and use a high pressure method to release any pressure that may be there. Always assume pressure.
Old 07-07-2019, 04:45 PM   #30

Model: Windsport 34E
State: North Carolina
THOR #13360
I had the opportunity to replace one line right front in the middle of nowhere Texas. The tow bill was $1K the replacement hose installed was $271.00. They had the hose made up at a NAPA store. Done at a local Truck repair place in about 3 hours total.
Old 07-08-2019, 12:38 AM   #31

THOR #3186
Was it the return line, the orange one?
Old 07-08-2019, 12:53 AM   #32

THOR #13360
Pressure line. We were luck the line was out side the coach ( class a) So we didn't have fluid on the carpet just under on the frame and steps [
Right Front)
Old 07-08-2019, 04:47 PM   #33

THOR #3186
Why did you have to have it towed?
Old 07-08-2019, 05:40 PM   #34

THOR #13360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest Grump View Post
Why did you have to have it towed?
I called LCI and they said that the leveler might drop when it ran out of fluid. I know very little about hydraulics so I depended on them for correct information.
As I have learned since many people have driven many miles with damaged hoses and the levelers never moved. A $1K lesson learned.
Old 07-08-2019, 06:40 PM   #35

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTHook View Post
I called LCI and they said that the leveler might drop when it ran out of fluid. I know very little about hydraulics so I depended on them for correct information.
As I have learned since many people have driven many miles with damaged hoses and the levelers never moved. A $1K lesson learned.
Well im glad you got it fixed at least. Some jacks have big springs the pull (and hold) the jacks on the up posistion. (Mine dont).

If this happened to me I would try and zip tip or ratchet strap the jacks in the up position and just use leveling block until you could get it fixed properly. But it woud still be upsetting.

Then I would clean it up (inside and out) right away.

I installed my own system and have TWO extra lines that sent to me (I carrier all the time). They are long lines so they can be use on any of my 4 corners (just will have some more hose coiled up if its a short run). Plus I put most of the lines into a wire loom to protect it.

Easy to bleed the Big Foot system. Took me about 45 minutes to change/bleed one line that was leaking at the connectors.

My moto is "Have tools ... will travel". I always carrier more tools and spare parts than I need. Make me feel better ....even if I can fix it. So if someone had to help me (or I needed to help them) we should have a tools for the job (and lots of extra parts).
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 01:34 PM   #36

Model: Hurricane 34J
THOR #14384
I had a similar situation with my RV. Luckily I didn't have the fluid get into the RV, just made a mess on the driveway.

In my case it was the right front jack's retract line. The hose just came out of the fitting.

Since the hose wasn't orange (and should have been) I am thinking a previous owner had this replaced. The local hose shop said the connector used was wrong. I had the whole hose remade for $70. Plus 3 gallons of ATF (1 gallon to find the leak, 1.2 to fill the system back up) and 3 hours of zero fun laying in gravel and ATF and its all fixed.

Old 07-10-2019, 02:17 PM   #37

Model: SOB 2014 Meridian 36M
State: Washington
THOR #7205
It sounds like I need to spend some time laying in the gravel inspecting mine! Better safe than sorry. I use a throw rug to lay on if we're on the road and need to look/work under the rv. At home I have carpet remnants from carpet replacement.
Old 07-10-2019, 02:23 PM   #38

Model: Hurricane 34J
THOR #14384
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99dart View Post
It sounds like I need to spend some time laying in the gravel inspecting mine! Better safe than sorry. I use a throw rug to lay on if we're on the road and need to look/work under the rv. At home I have carpet remnants from carpet replacement.
Its almost impossible to see and I'm not sure you see anything until they fail. But what I would do is perhaps put cardboard (12"x12") under each jack pad, and run the level and unlevel process several times and then let it sit leveled overnight. No drips on the cardboard, you are likely good to go.
Old 07-10-2019, 07:08 PM   #39

Model: Four Winds
State: Ontario
THOR #9081
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieL64 View Post
Not so great news, and obviously I am a sucker. Has anyone been able to enjoy their RV after they have had the problems fixed at the factory? I am so far in debt with this RV that I can't "unload" it
Annie: I had my previous RV( a Palazzo) fixed at the factory. They accomplish what a dealer could not do and do excellent work. It is far more superior then the dealer which I had purchased it from. After my wife's passing I went back to a Class C.
Old 10-28-2021, 03:30 PM   #40

State: Michigan
THOR #25030
I have a 2015 Chateau by Thor my right front jack fell off the welds broke what can be done it seams that this is a safety issue. Thor says that it's my responsibility.