Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 10-05-2016, 03:43 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 28Z
State: Texas
THOR #1229
I Broke my Bumper

I broke my rear bumper.

I purchased an adapter to attach a bicycle rack to my rear bumper. The adapter came with a warning “The Bumper Adaptor can be mounted on DOT rated, continuously welded steel bumpers on travel trailers, 5th wheels and motorhomes to create a hitch receiver for bike racks. It is NOT to be used for towing or carrying anything other than bike racks. … “

A quick check of my rear bumper showed it as indeed continually welded. As for the DOT rating, I am sure with the high quality of today’s RVs it meets all DOT requirements (read in heavy sarcasm here).

I took off on a multi-state, multi-stop bicycling tour with three bikes mounted to the bike carrier which was in-turn mounted on the rear bumper via the adapter. Also along was a 2007 Fit mounted to the tow-bar. About halfway into my return there was a noise, a really strange noise. Upon stopping I found that the bumper had partially torn away from the welded on ‘L’ brackets due to high-cycle fatigue and was resting on the tow bar. Actually, I had been observing the bikes vibrating on the carrier for some time and was getting really concerned.

This was not the fault of the adapter. It is the fault of the ultra-thin bumper on my RV, the extremely rough roads in Oklahoma and the fact I loaded three heavy bikes on this vibrating assembly and did nothing to stabilize it.

I checked and got prices around $350.00+ to get a new bumper - painted and mounted. Since I would end up with another ultra-thin bumper, and since I did not want to pay $350 + and wait weeks if not months to get the job poorly done, I decided to do it myself.

I found Mark Lyons of Metals Supermarkets at their Stafford, Texas location. Mark is an expert in all things metal and in dealing with retired computer engineers who really don’t know what they want. Mark fixed me up with a Hot Rolled Square Tube 4in X 4in x 0.188 (twice the thickness of the old bumper) for about $75.

Metals Supermarkets
75 locations across the US - Online sales too!
https://www.metalsupermarkets.com/
Mark Lyons (832) 939-4600
I have no affiliation with Metals Supermarkets

Next I found Travis Horton with Ober and Sons Welding in Alief, Texas. They will do small jobs and Travis is an expert in getting things done. However, he gets really, really busy. Keep after him and you will be happy. They charged me $75 to cut off the old brackets and weld them to my new bumper.

OBER & SONS, Inc.
7755 Synott Road
Houston, TX 77083
281-944-8289
obers@wt.net
Ober and Sons
I have no affiliation with Ober and Sons

Three rattle-cans of primer and paint later and I was bolting on my new, heavy-duty bumper.

Home Depot - Paint
I have no affiliation with rattle cans.

My only regret is I didn’t get it power coated. I wonder if they would have charged me $75.00 ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	old bumper 1.jpg
Views:	605
Size:	487.4 KB
ID:	3103   Click image for larger version

Name:	new bumper.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	109.1 KB
ID:	3105  

Attached Images

Attached Files
File Type: pdf RV Bumper Adapter.pdf (395.1 KB, 80 views)

Old 10-05-2016, 02:55 PM   #2

Model: Chateau 23U
State: California
THOR #1490
We use a Bell unit that is designed to insert in the receiver hitch. The only thing the bumper is good for is the house the sewer drain. but that means no toad.
Old 10-06-2016, 06:49 PM   #3

Model: Hurricane 34E
THOR #937
That same bike rack hitch mount adapter can be safely bolted to the shaft of the Blue Ox Tow Hitch, it appears to be long enough, (if you are not mounting a rock shield).

That's how most late model Class A folks without bumpers do it, (or they mount the bike rack to the toad).
Old 10-07-2016, 02:27 AM   #4

Model: Chateau 28Z
State: Texas
THOR #1229
Dual Hitch Extension

Thanks for the idea.

I also found the MaxxHaul 70070 Dual Hitch Extension - 4000 lbs. GTW Capacity . I bought one but have not used it yet. My toad is small but I am not comfortable with the extension.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dual hitch extension.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	3113  
Old 10-11-2016, 11:14 PM   #5

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #3186
The bike rack you chose is a very high quality heavy duty and heavy rack. Notice the leverage it exerts on the bumper even when not loaded. Now put 100 more pounds of weight on that upper arm and you will twist off the average RV bumper quite easily.

Tubular steel is easy to find just about anywhere. Good welders are also easy to find.

Using the adapters picture above are an easy solution and safer.

Tags
bumper, replacement bumper