Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 05-29-2018, 01:38 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Colorado
THOR #11734
I was Sold a lemon, need help with repairs

Help, I bought a new 2017 THor Freedom elite. Has been HELL. So many issues but the biggest is water leaks. Thor took it back to the factory to replace the floor, but they didn’t fix the leak so I am right back where I started. They also returned my camper to me with more problems than it left with. They won’t return messages. I have done BBB report. I figure I will have to pay for this myself to be fixed like several other issues, but I am not having any luck finding anyone to help that. They like to charge me for a visit but won’t help with the problem. I am spending too much money getting nowhere. I have not even been able to take my camper out. Was suppose to be full time. Quit my job and gave up my house. A year later still in my brothers basement. How is it this industry is so screwed up?

Old 05-29-2018, 01:54 AM   #2

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
Sorry to hear about your troubles. Have you called Thor to talk to a district rep? That avenue has delivered results for some folks with serious RV troubles on this forum.
Just wondering, are your dealer's initials C and W?
Old 05-29-2018, 02:06 AM   #3

THOR #11734
Yes the initials are CW, they handed everything to Thor and won’t return messages or help me in any way. I have had a lot of contact with Thor. When they will actually return a message...weeks to months later. My life has been on hold for a year and so tired of it.
Old 05-29-2018, 02:16 AM   #4

State: California
THOR #10354
Lemon Law

Does the Lemon Law apply to motorhomes??? If it does, you probably have a good case.
Old 05-29-2018, 02:20 AM   #5

THOR #11734
Not here in Colorado, plus it is hard to find a lawyer to help because the mfg knows how to stretch it out and play the game that you will end up paying a lawyer so much it won’t be worth it. As well as 1-2 year battle.
Old 05-29-2018, 02:21 AM   #6

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
You have been too nice for too long! In order to get some attention, you need to get the Thor rep for your district involved. Forget emails and waiting for the dealer, call Thor customer relations and demand the phone number the Thor rep who is responsible for your area.
If you still aren't getting results, keep going up the food chain, all the way to the top, if necessary!
Old 05-29-2018, 12:53 PM   #7

State: Tennessee
THOR #10915
Problems

I hate to hear you are having these kinds of problems and even more so that you aren’t getting any action from those we have to depend on. I have a new 2018 Freedom Elite we bought about three months ago so this hits close to home. I haven’t had any major issues yet or leaks and have used it camping twice now. I’m wondering where you have the leak problems is it the internal plumbing or roof leaks?

Andy
Old 05-29-2018, 01:24 PM   #8

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
Not that this will help you but for those reading and considering purchasing new...some states do have Lemon Laws that apply to RV's. Florida is one. I live in GA but purchased in Florida for this reason, among others (availability). Although I live in GA...I'm still covered under the LL and Florida doesn't mess around! I'm surprised, with RV's having the general reputation they do, that the Florida dealers don't advertise this Law.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 02:18 PM   #9

Model: 2017 Thor Vegas 25.2
State: Indiana
THOR #7993
I'm having a hard time believing that Thor factory repair treated you like that after dealing with them last month. When we left their free hookup site they had taken care of all our issues and fixed things we didn't even know were a problem. The tech noticed that the door to the water heater was faded and dull looking so they put a new one on. They checked the roof sealer and took care of any issues there. No charge. Nothing but a great experience.
Old 05-29-2018, 02:28 PM   #10

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
Any time someone threatens me with the "lawyer" word...that's usually the last contact I will ever have with them. I simply state..."get in line (AH)...see you in court"...then hang up to never speak with them again. If you played this card too soon, this may be your problem. That also may be why CW turned your entire file over to Thor and will not have anything else to do with you. Never threaten to sue...just do it if it gets that bad.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 02:42 PM   #11
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
Not that this will help you but for those reading and considering purchasing new...some states do have Lemon Laws that apply to RV's. Florida is one. I live in GA but purchased in Florida for this reason, among others (availability). Although I live in GA...I'm still covered under the LL and Florida doesn't mess around! I'm surprised, with RV's having the general reputation they do, that the Florida dealers don't advertise this Law.
Too bad Florida's LL only applies to the vehicle part. Anything having to do with the living area you are SOL.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 06:34 PM   #12

Model: Chateau Super C 35SF
State: Kansas
THOR #11472
I urge you to contact the Consumer protection division of the attorney general's office in your state and/or in Indiana (where Thor is headquartered). There should be no charge to you for filing a consumer complaint for your "lemon."
Old 06-09-2018, 07:08 PM   #13

Model: Vegas 27.7
State: California
THOR #10907
Cast a vote in my poll thread if you'd like.

I think something needs to be done, I'm just not sure what yet.
Old 06-09-2018, 08:38 PM   #14

State: Texas
THOR #778
2013 Thor Windsport

Hello,
My comment is stay away from Thor. We bought a lemon in 2013 and have had trouble with it ever since. Tried to file through the Texas Lemon law but was out of warranty to long. All the vinyl seats are coming apart including the drivers seat, passengers seat, dinette, and now the couch. Very cheap material. Stay away from Thor. Still having trouble with our slide outs.
Deryl Davis
Rockport, TX.
Old 06-09-2018, 08:41 PM   #15

Model: Freedom Elite 28H
THOR #11164
Kari2go,
Sorry to hear about your frustrations. Motorhomes take a lot of maintenance and patience. I have fixed six different leaks on our 28H. What model do you have? Thor did send me all the schematics I needed to do repairs and improvements. The lack of quality with motorhomes continue to disappoint me, but thus far I have been able to do the repairs myself.
Ole
Old 06-10-2018, 12:15 AM   #16

Model: HAD Vegas 24.1
State: South Dakota
THOR #9657
Hate to say it, but.....

I, too, bought a new lemon end of last September. Vegas 24.1. Total Hell for me too. Those who have a good experience are very blessed as I can tell you I have heard many nightmare stories like mine. Not CW in my case. The final straw for me was an electrical fire. Sure, they replaced the entire breaker box area and discolored paneling, etc. yet that was only one of MANY things. Over $100 each time I had to go to dealer. Appointment and parts delays. Absolutely unbelievable, really. No Lemon Law applied so I just decided to cut my loss (would have been worse if waited) and after tons of warranty work I traded it in for a Winnebago 26A. I LOVE it, 3000K miles now and NO issues to speak of (only put 6K on the Vegas and TONS of issues). The RV industry is severely diseased - quality control and service issues. I did not know this when I decided to become a full time RV-er for a more frugal retirement. The sales end is where all the time, energy and money goes. I'm sorry for your, and others, troubles - those of us who got lemons understand. Those who didn't, can't. By the time you pay lawyers you could just do what I did and lose some, but gain a lot if you get a better quality RV. Best of luck.
Old 06-10-2018, 12:25 AM   #17
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by dPad2 View Post
I, too, bought a new lemon end of last September. Vegas 24.1. Total Hell for me too. Those who have a good experience are very blessed as I can tell you I have heard many nightmare stories like mine. Not CW in my case. The final straw for me was an electrical fire. Sure, they replaced the entire breaker box area and discolored paneling, etc. yet that was only one of MANY things. Over $100 each time I had to go to dealer. Appointment and parts delays. Absolutely unbelievable, really. No Lemon Law applied so I just decided to cut my loss (would have been worse if waited) and after tons of warranty work I traded it in for a Winnebago 26A. I LOVE it, 3000K miles now and NO issues to speak of (only put 6K on the Vegas and TONS of issues). The RV industry is severely diseased - quality control and service issues. I did not know this when I decided to become a full time RV-er for a more frugal retirement. The sales end is where all the time, energy and money goes. I'm sorry for your, and others, troubles - those of us who got lemons understand. Those who didn't, can't. By the time you pay lawyers you could just do what I did and lose some, but gain a lot if you get a better quality RV. Best of luck.
We are happy to hear that you found an RV you like and have no problems with. We have had our Axis since January 2016 with no issues. Forums usually are for those who have problems and are looking for a solution..those of us who have no issues don't participate much. In the last few weeks, Ron had thought he might want to downsize..so we did our research … thought about a Winnebago model...went to their forum and found nothing but complaints there.
So, not to defend Thor and their apparent problems...it seems that quality control across the board is marginal.
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 12:49 AM   #18

Model: HAD Vegas 24.1
State: South Dakota
THOR #9657
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkb View Post
We are happy to hear that you found an RV you like and have no problems with. We have had our Axis since January 2016 with no issues. Forums usually are for those who have problems and are looking for a solution..those of us who have no issues don't participate much. In the last few weeks, Ron had thought he might want to downsize..so we did our research … thought about a Winnebago model...went to their forum and found nothing but complaints there.
So, not to defend Thor and their apparent problems...it seems that quality control across the board is marginal.
I know it's true the entire industry has major issues and people tend to post only when they DO have issues. I got a Thor lemon and luckily did not get a WB lemon - though I agree, I'm sure they're out there. This time I interviewed SERVICE DEPTS prior to purchase as THAT can make all the difference. I wanted one who will not allow folks with little things to 'butt' in front of others for appointments, yet WILL get someone in when the issue is so big it keeps someone like me (a full timer, where the RV is both home and car) from being able to use it. Time will tell. They save a few appointments each day for emergency situations only. My other dealer did not do that. I appreciate your pointing out what you did. My post WAS one-sided haha
Old 06-10-2018, 01:44 AM   #19

State: Arizona
THOR #5160
No, You were not sold a lemon. You were sold a brand new MH, with typical subpar or no quality control. Last Year I took my CW Thor Hurricane across the US to Maine. Everything broke. It rained more inside the coach than outside Thats the tip of the iceberg . The greatest thing that happened was that CW wasn't there to help repair but they were quick to take my purchase money. Incompetence is rampant in the industry and we cut give them our money fast enough. Finally after many system failures going across the US. Everything else broke coming back to AZ. Now Ive spent many moe k's$ and my MH runs and operates perfectly. Your not the lone ranger . its a lovely regulated industry that will go belly up when hard times come. Buy something 2years old, so fools like me can fix it for you
Old 06-10-2018, 09:45 PM   #20

State: Arizona
THOR #8241
I had a 2016 Winnebago/Itasca Solei. For two years it was a nightmare of continuous problems and poor service by CW. I bought a Thor Venetian a year ago and it has been a dream compared to my Winnebago. Luck of the draw unfortunately for many who get a bad coach or continual bad service.