Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-04-2018, 10:21 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: SOB 2014 Meridian 36M
State: Washington
THOR #7205
I think it might be a good idea to:

Have that new motorhome re-sealed as soon as you buy it. Better yet, Work a deal with the dealer when you are buying from them to have it re-sealed before delivery. We have had our 2016 Quantum WS31 since last April. It needs everything re-sealed, slide trim, roofing junctions, cab to coach, furnace & water heater trim, you name it. Most all of it has a gap & is pulled away from the other surface. Fortunately, we have local independent shops here in town that value customer service. It will be done by the end of next week. And, that will be with the owner & his son gone to Arizona for a funeral.

Old 04-04-2018, 10:29 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Sorry to hear that this happened!!
Let's all hope that the job is done right: this time!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 10:32 PM   #3

Model: 2017 Miramar 34.4
State: Florida
THOR #9721
I agree with this. Also the window seals probably need to be redone as well and done correctly.

My outer frameless window seals were coming off at the corners because they were relaxing back to their natural position from being stretched a to make it around the bend.

I had a notable publicly traded dealership fix it under warranty, they cut the seal and filled in the extra gap with black silicone. I was expecting them to lay down a new seal on the window not some backwoods fix.

Also, our hot water heater has leaked since before we had it from the outside elements. We had to reseal the outer seal and the inner panel as the Atwood motherboard was getting wet in the rain causing erratic behavior with our furnace.
RV Travel Bug
Tearstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 10:56 PM   #4

THOR #7205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Sorry to hear that this happened!!
Let's all hope that the job is done right: this time!
Thanks, Bob! I know you feel our pain!
Old 04-04-2018, 10:58 PM   #5

THOR #7205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tearstone View Post
I agree with this. Also the window seals probably need to be redone as well and done correctly.

My outer frameless window seals were coming off at the corners because they were relaxing back to their natural position from being stretched a to make it around the bend.

I had a notable publicly traded dealership fix it under warranty, they cut the seal and filled in the extra gap with black silicone. I was expecting them to lay down a new seal on the window not some backwoods fix.

Also, our hot water heater has leaked since before we had it from the outside elements. We had to reseal the outer seal and the inner panel as the Atwood motherboard was getting wet in the rain causing erratic behavior with our furnace.
I told the owner of the shop, "just fill up a paint sprayer and hit the whole thing!" LOL
Old 04-04-2018, 11:17 PM   #6

Model: Challenger 37YT
State: Tennessee
THOR #10421
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tearstone View Post
Believe it or not, the black silicone may do the job permanently. Years ago I bought a one year old Chevy truck from a guy who had just had the windshield replaced. Of course, it leaked badly the first time it rained so I took it back to the w/s shop (about 40 miles one way!) and had them reseal it. Well, next rain, leaks again soooo, I took a tube of black silicone and ran a bead under the molding and around the bottom of the w/s where it was leaking; I did it in such a way that the silicone wasn't showing so it didn't look "shade tree". Darn thing never leaked again and I owned it for 6-7 more years.

Of course, we would all rather have something fixed the RIGHT way and not have corners cut but sometimes the shortcut may fix the issue permanently. Where that seal may stretch or contract, causing it to leak again, the silicone may outlast the unit. Good luck!
Old 04-05-2018, 01:15 AM   #7

Model: 2017 Miramar 34.4
State: Florida
THOR #9721
Quote:
Originally Posted by bharrisv65 View Post
Believe it or not, the black silicone may do the job permanently. Years ago I bought a one year old Chevy truck from a guy who had just had the windshield replaced. Of course, it leaked badly the first time it rained so I took it back to the w/s shop (about 40 miles one way!) and had them reseal it. Well, next rain, leaks again soooo, I took a tube of black silicone and ran a bead under the molding and around the bottom of the w/s where it was leaking; I did it in such a way that the silicone wasn't showing so it didn't look "shade tree". Darn thing never leaked again and I owned it for 6-7 more years.

Of course, we would all rather have something fixed the RIGHT way and not have corners cut but sometimes the shortcut may fix the issue permanently. Where that seal may stretch or contract, causing it to leak again, the silicone may outlast the unit. Good luck!
If we had a window that was meant to be closed and sealed, that would be different. But this is a double pane Behr frameless window that opens outwards. After that fix was applied, I had to wait for the silicone to dry and use a razor blade to cut it away from the window so I could open it.
RV Travel Bug
Tearstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 11:07 PM   #8

THOR #7205
Update: The Q is all sealed up! Roof seams and all side attachment points & trim seams. Here's hoping no more leaks. Evidently the control board for the furnace was wet, because now it won't malfunction at the shop... go figure, right.