Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-17-2020, 10:20 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Kentucky
THOR #21270
Angry Kitchen drain

I have a Thor Four Winds 31E, and in less than a year Ive had to repair the drain multiple times. Anyone have a solution to this problem? I called Thor about 2 weeks ago and was supposedly in queue to receive a call back and guess what? Still have not heard from them. Just replaced the gray tank in late September because of this problem; and was told tonight I need to replace it again. HELP!

Old 11-17-2020, 10:29 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Welcome to the forum!
Now: what exactly is the problem?
Old 11-18-2020, 12:24 AM   #3

Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
State: Florida
THOR #15553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanawelsh View Post
I have a Thor Four Winds 31E, and in less than a year Ive had to repair the drain multiple times. Anyone have a solution to this problem? I called Thor about 2 weeks ago and was supposedly in queue to receive a call back and guess what? Still have not heard from them. Just replaced the gray tank in late September because of this problem; and was told tonight I need to replace it again. HELP!
you are gonna have to explain a little better what your problem is. I can't find my Karnack Turban.
Old 11-18-2020, 12:34 AM   #4
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Johnny Carson might have been buried with it...
Old 11-18-2020, 12:36 AM   #5

Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
THOR #15553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Johnny Carson might have been buried with it...
Click image for larger version

Name:	What he said in that comment up there (1).jpg
Views:	76
Size:	17.1 KB
ID:	27203
Old 11-18-2020, 02:15 AM   #6

State: Kentucky
THOR #21270
The drainpipe from the kitchen sink breaks off where it connects to the gray tank. After opening and closing the slide out. It has been repaired multiple times in less than a year. The “flexible” hose is not very flexible. It is the original. I have seen numerous complaints about this online, but am looking for a solution. Thor has been no help.
Old 11-18-2020, 02:22 AM   #7
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
The Gritz Carleton found a fix...
Look him up, and good luck!
Old 11-18-2020, 03:18 AM   #8

Model: 2011 FW Hurricane 33T
State: England
THOR #16471
Quote:
The Gritz Carleton found a fix...
Look him up, and good luck!
Here is the thread with The Gritz

You could try this, but hope your tank is not polyethylene.
Old 11-18-2020, 10:39 AM   #9

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Michigan
THOR #17235
I would first try, if possible, to watch the drain pipe while opening and closing the slide. It may be hitting something or otherwise being stressed while moving. I have a 29m and while I was working on another project in the same area I noticed my flexible kitchen drain pipe was coming up against an electrical junction box mounted on the floor during the slide-in motion. The pipe was forced to jump up on top of the junction box every time the slide went in. Nothing had broken so far but I relocated the j-box out of the path of the flexible pipe anyway and now it has a smooth unobstructed path.
Old 11-25-2020, 10:33 PM   #10
MLP

State: California
THOR #17478
I wish I knew just what material the gray water tank is made of. A "pipe hog" can be used to clean the opening up for a new flange/pipe. Used one on the S&B that saved me from opening up a wall. You generally rent one. It is a plumbing tool. If it is a heated weld, well???
Old 11-25-2020, 11:38 PM   #11

Model: 37LS outlaw
State: New Jersey
THOR #5248
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Fernco-1-1-...ing/1000075345

Used a fernco coupling on mine. Three years ago. Still working because it’s flexible when operating the slide.
Old 11-26-2020, 01:06 AM   #12

Model: 2011 FW Hurricane 33T
State: England
THOR #16471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trkyte@msn.com View Post
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Fernco-1-1-...ing/1000075345

Used a fernco coupling on mine. Three years ago. Still working because it’s flexible when operating the slide.
You mentioned that in the other thread too, but neglected to explain how you installed the Fernco if the fitting is broken off of the tank.

EDIT: Found this online, .
Old 11-26-2020, 09:25 AM   #13

State: Colorado
THOR #21338
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanawelsh View Post
I have a 2015 Thor Chateau 31W with a full wall slide. My kitchen drain Has broken off at the base of the standpipe connection to the top of the grey tank. Camping World is saying that they must remove the cabinets to gain access and repair the tank. Can anyone shed some light on the problem. Carlmattson12@gmail.com

Quote:
Welcome to the forum!
Now: what exactly is the problem?
Old 11-26-2020, 09:25 AM   #14

State: Colorado
THOR #21338
Who is Glitz Carlton.
Old 11-26-2020, 12:51 PM   #15
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlmattson12@gmail.com View Post
Who is Glitz Carlton.
Gritz...
He's a fella who hangs out in here, and is pretty handy.
Old 11-27-2020, 03:49 PM   #16

Model: Windsport 29m
State: North Carolina
THOR #9553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vibeman View Post
I would first try, if possible, to watch the drain pipe while opening and closing the slide. It may be hitting something or otherwise being stressed while moving. I have a 29m and while I was working on another project in the same area I noticed my flexible kitchen drain pipe was coming up against an electrical junction box mounted on the floor during the slide-in motion. The pipe was forced to jump up on top of the junction box every time the slide went in. Nothing had broken so far but I relocated the j-box out of the path of the flexible pipe anyway and now it has a smooth unobstructed path.
We have a Windsport 29m and I have a leak on the kitchen floor. Looking further I saw the elbow and hose under the cabinet bottom--you have to remove it to access the plumbing, the coupling came loose. After some field engineering I reattached it and not had a problem. I think its a very poor design and will fail eventually. Do a yearly check like me!! Bob
Old 01-07-2021, 02:39 AM   #17

Model: Windsport 29M
THOR #20112
Quote:
Originally Posted by knucklehead View Post
We have a Windsport 29m and I have a leak on the kitchen floor. Looking further I saw the elbow and hose under the cabinet bottom--you have to remove it to access the plumbing, the coupling came loose. After some field engineering I reattached it and not had a problem. I think its a very poor design and will fail eventually. Do a yearly check like me!! Bob
I unfortunately had this same thing happen this weekend in my 2019 29M. Could you share what you did to fix yours?
Thanks!
Old 01-09-2021, 01:36 PM   #18

Model: Windsport 29m
State: North Carolina
THOR #9553
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGAMMO View Post
I unfortunately had this same thing happen this weekend in my 2019 29M. Could you share what you did to fix yours?
Thanks!
Sorry I'm late in this reply, been very busy with LIFE!!! First you have to access the plumbing by removing the floor of the cabinet below the sink. you will see the drain hose run into a fixed coupling that swivels I think, it's been several years since I re-connected mine. I don't remember if it broke or just came loose--think it came loose cause I didn't have to replace anything. I re-attached the threaded piece then I think using pull-ties improved the connection because it looked minimal to me. You have a look and use common sense, which Thor doesn't to improve this connection. I should probably take the time to check mine real soon too!!! Good Luck, it's now rocket science, just knowing where it is is 95% of the fix!!!! Bob Trice