Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 09-10-2021, 04:31 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
THOR #13451
inoperative signals and brakelights on TOAD

I flat pull a Jeep wrangler behind by Four Winds 24FS class C. All lights and signals on RV work fine and signals work fine on Jeep when not connected to the RV . However when connected the lights work on the jeep but the brake lights and turn signals to not work. They continue to work on the RV but not the TOAD. Any Ideas I switched to LED lights on the Jeep about a year ago and have been told that this might be the probem..

Old 09-10-2021, 04:49 PM   #2

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
I have a similar setup... I flat tow an "oldie" Wrangler with a class C.

First, I would pull the plug from the 7-pin connector, and check for any corrosion, etc. Always keep a coating of dielectric grease on those pins to avoid issues.

Second, I would start checking fuses. Can't help you on the LED conversions... but check their amp rating. Some draw more power than the factory issue incandescent bulbs - thus check the fuses.

If everything worked fine up to this point, those would be my first suspects.
Old 09-10-2021, 06:17 PM   #3
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Carolina
THOR #1469
Check fuses first. The slightest misaligned connection on the umbilical cord can cause a short and blow the fuses. Happened to me a couple of times on the Challenger.
Old 09-11-2021, 03:43 AM   #4

Model: Citation
State: Texas
THOR #8139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
I have a similar setup... I flat tow an "oldie" Wrangler with a class C.

First, I would pull the plug from the 7-pin connector, and check for any corrosion, etc. Always keep a coating of dielectric grease on those pins to avoid issues.

Second, I would start checking fuses. Can't help you on the LED conversions... but check their amp rating. Some draw more power than the factory issue incandescent bulbs - thus check the fuses.

If everything worked fine up to this point, those would be my first suspects.
+1 for dielectric grease, but add 1 more step.

Unplug the cable from the 7 pin connector on the mh and the connector on the toad.
When you get the dielectric grease get a can of contact cleaner.
Liberally spray ALL of the contacts on the cable AND connectors on mh and toad, allow to dry before applying the dielectric grease.
Old 09-11-2021, 12:43 PM   #5

Model: Omni XG32
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
First question to the OP, have the jeep lights ever worked while towing or is this a new setup? If a new setup get a multimeter and check the motorhome wiring to make sure that you are getting the correct electricity to the correct pole on the RV AND pole on the cord. If a new setup make sure that the correct signals go to the correct wires in the jeep also. It's easy to look at a wiring connector and get the sides reversed which will of course result in no lights. If a setup that previously worked, do as suggested above plus check the connectors for a loose or broken wire.
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 02:43 PM   #6
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Too may unknowns. What type of toad lighting system? How was it installed? Did it ever work? Is the MH plug providing the proper voltages?
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Alternate Toad
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 02:54 PM   #7

THOR #16560
When the dealer installed our toad towing rig, they added incandescent bulbs to the brake/turn signal light. The existing LED lights would not work reliably. So we have two sets of bulbs in each tail light but it works well.
Old 09-22-2021, 04:35 PM   #8

THOR #12726
Who wired up the connector for the keep?
Depending on who did it there are two different color codes one is for Rv and one is the old way but they still use the same pins just different color, I found this out when I wired my 2019 rubicon the old color code doesn’t work I had to google Rv and automotive trailer wiring and convert the colors on my keep to match the rv
Old 09-22-2021, 05:44 PM   #9

THOR #22586
OP hasn't been back on since posting the question without giving good information to help him. Waste of time adding any more questions to him/her.
Old 09-22-2021, 05:47 PM   #10

THOR #16721
Assuming you are using a 7-pin connector...
Assuming you have a multimeter, and are familiar with using it...

First, confirm you are receiving 12 volts at the 7-pin receptacle to the proper sockets:

Find a pinout wiring diagram (Google) for a 7-pin connector... remember, some diagrams show a "mirror image" - so take that into account.

Stick the black probe into the GROUND socket of the 7-pin receptacle.

Then start diagnosing voltage at each of the pin outputs:

Using the diagram, stick the red probe into one of the respective sockets:
For instance the "Right Turn/Stop lights"

Go into the motorhome and turn on the Right signal. Visually check that the right signal light on the motorhome is flashing.

Look at the multimeter display... it should be alternating between 12 & 0 volts - generally synchronized with the motorhome flashing signal lights.

Have someone press the motorhome brake pedal - check that the motorhome brake lights did in fact illuminate... you should see 12 volts on your multimeter.

Continue checking the rest of the pins for voltage.

Obviously if you are NOT seeing voltage, you either have a blown fuse in the motorhome or a wiring issue.

If all is well at this point - the issue is with the wiring/fuses etc. in your towed vehicle.
Old 09-25-2021, 07:41 PM   #11

Brand: Crossroads
Model: Sunset Trail 29SS
State: Michigan
THOR #475
Some vehicles (including some Wranglers) need additional wiring to prevent this issue. See this YouTube video: https://youtu.be/vp7JvPir9Ew
Old 09-26-2021, 02:26 AM   #12
MLP

State: California
THOR #17478
I will add to this. Same problem with my Palazzo. Turns out that there is a fuse that power goes through. When it is blown, no lights for the brakes and signal. Mine fuse would blow for??? I now use an external power source for the toad brake controller. No further problems. I do not connect the 12 volts from the motor home to the toad.
Old 09-26-2021, 03:07 AM   #13

THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbutts4901 View Post
Some vehicles (including some Wranglers) need additional wiring to prevent this issue. See this YouTube video: https://youtu.be/vp7JvPir9Ew
I installed the Invisibrake on my oldie 2001 Wrangler, which requires a brake light relay. Also, it requires diodes be installed inline of the taillights. Both are not that difficult to install, but are VERY important to prevent problems. The power for my braking system, including toad tail lights, is supplied by the motorhome through the 7-pin connector. It is wired to also charge the toad battery. It works flawlessly... no dead battery, and no blown fuses. For overkill, I installed a toggle switch on the Wrangler firewall that ALL power to the aux braking system goes through... a master disconnect. There is no power to the system, and no drain/connection to the toad battery when that switch is off... peace of mind when we're driving in the Wrangler.

Each car/install is unique... it's very important to follow install instructions EXACTLY... and test as you go. Shortcuts will definitely get you in trouble here... Take nothing for granted and don't make assumptions. If it's not clear in the instructions, CALL THE MANUFACTURER and have them clarify. That will give you a problem free installation!
Old 09-26-2021, 03:33 AM   #14

Model: Hurricane 29M
THOR #11781
All these problems are why I still use magnetic base lights on my toads. They are cheap and almost bullet proof.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 07:39 PM   #15

Model: Sprinter four winds
State: Georgia
THOR #14780
Get an inexpensive plug in tester from Amazon about 12$ it will tell you what circuits are coming out of the coach and give you a starting point for further testing.
Old 09-28-2021, 11:21 PM   #16

Model: SV34
State: Arizona
THOR #24580
I had a similar situation with my Wrangler and previous coach - Class C Fleetwood on E450 Chassis. It was driving me crazy and finally discovered that it was the fuse on the coach for the trailer wire harness. Might want to check your fuses on the coach. Best of luck to you!
Old 09-29-2021, 12:32 PM   #17
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Carolina
THOR #1469
Appears to be another drive by.
Old 09-29-2021, 01:28 PM   #18
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
Appears to be another drive by.
Wuuuuuut?

You mean he posted a question and hasn't been back since to even look at the answers?

2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Alternate Toad
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 01:47 PM   #19

THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Wuuuuuut?

You mean he posted a question and hasn't been back since to even look at the answers?

Yes Opie no where to be found. See post 9.

Tags
ligjts, towed vehicle issues, towing problem