Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-02-2017, 06:59 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 27.7
State: Kentucky
THOR #6005
Bad morning due to Thor Tech Support

I purchased a new 2016 Thor Vegas 25.3 on December 2nd, and just took it on the first trip this week. We drove cross-country to San Francisco (from Kentucky) and after a few days the black water tank was full.

As I have done on my previous motorhomes, I got everything ready to drain and then pulled the gate valve...and nothing!! Not even a dribble!! The grey water tank would drain just as it should.

So I called Thor Tech Support....and it took three hours and four phone calls before they finally told me that there are two drain valves on the black water tank...one on each side of the coach. And even then, they continued to insist that it was located in a storage bin somewhere in the coach. So I unloaded every storage area looking for the valve, when finally I gave up and crawled underneath the coach to look for myself...and there it was...right under the bathroom on the passenger side. I guess I should have looked there earlier, but I've never had a coach with two valves, and I assumed that Thor would know their own coaches.

You would think that "check for a second valve" would have been their first suggestion...and that they would have known where the valve was located!!

Old 01-02-2017, 07:02 PM   #2

THOR #6005
As an aside to the post above, in the first phone call to Thor, rather than helping solve the problem, they tried to just send me to a dealer.

They provided three names, two of which were closed today (Jan 2), and the Camping World offered an appointment in mid-February even though I told them I was a transient. The first thing the CW service writer asked was where I bought the coach...and I knew I was in trouble.

You would think a company like Camping World would realize that RVers buy multiple coaches through the years, and we are always spending money on parts and service...but it will be awhile before CW sees any more of my dollars for any reason.
Old 01-02-2017, 07:39 PM   #3

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
Is this just on the 25.3? Got a 2016 25.2 and never noticed a second valve, just the grey and the black in the side compartment
Old 01-02-2017, 08:05 PM   #4

Brand: Still Looking
Model: VanLeigh Vilano 365RL
State: Florida
THOR #1907
My 28Z has 2 valves on the black water tank. One up by the tank and the other in the normal location. Not sure why, just that it does. The one up by the tank remains open at all times.
JRS950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 08:31 PM   #5
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
My guess would be to keep that pipe empty in winter.
We had someone here that had the pipe to the valve freeze and break last winter I think... Closing the gate valve at the tank exit would prevent any liquid from getting in there if the tank wasn't completely empty.

Just a guess...
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 11:07 PM   #6

Model: Four Winds 28A Class C
State: Vermont
THOR #4117
My 2005 28A has 2 valves in the black tank drain. I always thought it was a good idea since I close the valve nearest the tank, then the valve at the end. This keeps the pipe empty in case of damage to the pipe. It also gives the solids a running start that maybe helps to keep the pipe clean.
Old 01-03-2017, 12:53 AM   #7

THOR #6005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo_Mike View Post
Is this just on the 25.3? Got a 2016 25.2 and never noticed a second valve, just the grey and the black in the side compartment
I don't think the 25.2 has the second valve. In the 25.3 the bathroom is on the passenger side rear corner, so the plumbing has to run the full width of the coach.
Old 01-03-2017, 12:55 AM   #8

THOR #6005
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRS950 View Post
My 28Z has 2 valves on the black water tank. One up by the tank and the other in the normal location. Not sure why, just that it does. The one up by the tank remains open at all times.
Thor explained to me (during the fourth phone contact) that the purpose is to keep the drain line between the tank and the outer gate valve empty except while draining...I guess to prevent freezing and/or leaks.
Old 01-03-2017, 12:59 AM   #9

THOR #6005
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenbear View Post
My 2005 28A has 2 valves in the black tank drain. I always thought it was a good idea since I close the valve nearest the tank, then the valve at the end. This keeps the pipe empty in case of damage to the pipe. It also gives the solids a running start that maybe helps to keep the pipe clean.
Yea, I can see the usefulness of having the two valves...my concern was that it took 3 hours and four phone calls before a Thor rep told me there was a second valve...and then he couldn't tell me where it was located!! I fault my dealer too for not showing me this during the PDI.
Old 01-03-2017, 01:40 AM   #10

State: Illinois
THOR #5112
i knew there was some reason why i liked the 25-2.
Old 01-03-2017, 02:39 AM   #11

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
So do all Thor's have two valves for the black tank? I wasn't aware of a second one on mine, but then if its open it wouldn't be something you would notice.
Old 01-03-2017, 02:47 AM   #12
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laco
So do all Thor's have two valves for the black tank? I wasn't aware of a second one on mine, but then if its open it wouldn't be something you would notice.
Nope, it depends on the configuration and where the tank/bathroom is, etc. In this case it would appear as if the tank is on the opposite side of the coach from the drain (passenger side vs drivers side--looking at the floorplan of the 25.3:
). Thus the drain line has to run across the width of the coach.

On our 24.1 the black tank is about 6" from the one gate valve.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 02:56 AM   #13

THOR #6005
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Nope, it depends on the configuration and where the tank/bathroom is, etc. In this case it would appear as if the tank is on the opposite side of the coach from the drain (passenger side vs drivers side--looking at the floorplan of the 25.3:
). Thus the drain line has to run across the width of the coach.

On our 24.1 the black tank is about 6" from the one gate valve.
Thanks JamieGeek....I hope this post will help someone in the future when they encounter this problem. That was my intended purpose, not just a Thor gripe session.
Old 01-03-2017, 02:57 AM   #14

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
The black tank would not be able to be mounted on the driver's sidelike in all the other Vegas/Axis floorplans because of the slide. So the tank is on the passenger side. The Thor rep should have been able to tell there was a second valve in a matter of seconds.

But at the same time I'd be reaming out my dealer for not showing that during the PDI. I'd also be concerned about what else didn't they demonstrate.

I'll also add this variance on the 25.3 in my owners' manual and in the PDI checklist in the manual. This is also why I recommend every new owner contact Thor customer service and get the drawings/schematics for their VIN for the fresh water plumbing, waste plumbing, AC and DC schematics, and sewer termination.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 03:10 AM   #15

THOR #6005
Quote:
Originally Posted by bevedfelker View Post
The black tank would not be able to be mounted on the driver's sidelike in all the other Vegas/Axis floorplans because of the slide. So the tank is on the passenger side. The Thor rep should have been able to tell there was a second valve in a matter of seconds.

But at the same time I'd be reaming out my dealer for not showing that during the PDI. I'd also be concerned about what else didn't they demonstrate.

I'll also add this variance on the 25.3 in my owners' manual and in the PDI checklist in the manual.
To be honest the PDI I received was brief and perfunctory...but being an experienced RVer, I asked as many questions as I could think of...but I never thought to ask about multiple valves in the drainage system.

Also, (and I mean this as a compliment) the first thing I did when I encountered the problem was to break out my printed copy of your manual (I have it bound in a notebook)...and then I came here to search the Forums.

But regardless of all else, there is no excuse for a factory tech not to mention the possibility of a second drain until the fourth phone call, and then having no idea where it was located.

But I do have to say, that other than this situation today, we have been extremely pleased with our 25.3.
Old 01-03-2017, 03:53 AM   #16

Model: SOB
State: South Dakota
THOR #3916
Looking at the floor plan.... when the bedroom slide is retracted is there enough room to enter the bathroom?? or is the drawing just not to scale??
Thor Infinity
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 04:49 AM   #17

THOR #6005
Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlesore View Post
Looking at the floor plan.... when the bedroom slide is retracted is there enough room to enter the bathroom?? or is the drawing just not to scale??

Yes the mattress folds in the middle so that with the slide retracted, the end of the mattress is still in the same approximate position as shown in the diagram...just twice as thick. We worried about the comfort of the original mattress so we bought a thick foam topper and it sleeps as good as our mattress at home (but it is more difficult to fold).
Old 01-03-2017, 01:51 PM   #18

Model: Four Winds 28A Class C
State: Vermont
THOR #4117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laco View Post
I would think that any RV that has the black tank on the passengers side would have a valve at the exit from the black tank and a valve at the hose connection.

I wouldn't be surprised if they were required. It costs money to have a second valve and many manufactures wouldn't spend the extra $$ if it wasn't required.

Take another look at where the drain exits the black tank, if its on the passenger side, and see if there is a valve there.
Old 01-03-2017, 06:21 PM   #19

Model: SOB
State: South Dakota
THOR #3916
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locknut View Post
Yes the mattress folds in the middle so that with the slide retracted, the end of the mattress is still in the same approximate position as shown in the diagram...just twice as thick. We worried about the comfort of the original mattress so we bought a thick foam topper and it sleeps as good as our mattress at home (but it is more difficult to fold).
OK, I had images of trying to do the "fat boy shimmy" trying to get into the bathroom...
Thor Infinity
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 08:40 PM   #20

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locknut View Post
Thor explained to me (during the fourth phone contact) that the purpose is to keep the drain line between the tank and the outer gate valve empty except while draining...I guess to prevent freezing and/or leaks.
So just how easy is this valve to reach if intended to be operated every time you dump?

I'm assuming it's a manual valve, and that it's not that easy to see or you would have seen it from start.

I think a long pipe/line (with minimal pitch) from tank to driver's side dump valve may be more susceptible to get plugged with solids if left open at tank. Heavier solids would tend to migrate downstream, which could plug the line.